Prediction: Bills will go no huddle on Sunday

MAJBobby

2 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

He still better sit at the line and use every second of clock if this is the case. We can barely afford to be bad slowly, we can't afford to be bad quickly.

What we should do regardless of how/when we line up is RUN THE BALL.

First they have to prove they can run the ball. 

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Prediction, no it wont.

You DONT do a no huddle with your first time starting rookie QB and your O Line which has had multiple micues and miscommunications.  

Allens head will be spinning, you get him in the huddle so they can properly call the plays and everyone is one the same page.   This offense is not a "well oiled" machine which is necessary for the no huddle.  You dont want to rush the QB, for the OC to tell him what to look for they are going to have to rush to the line in time for the OC to get a look and the headseat is shut off with 15 seconds to go.

So if you are going to rush it every time, the just means the defense will have that much less time to rest between playing, a real real bad idea.  Last weekend the D was gassed by the end of Q1, LAST thing you want to do is speed the game up.

I cant think of a worse idea then to force an inexperienced QB into a no huddle situation.  He has enough to worry about.

I have to agree. DCs are going to stop the run first and force Allen to beat them with his arm. The next two weeks are going to be a tall order, the Chargers and Vikings play very well on defense. Throwing a rookie into that environment especially on the road next week is a very risky proposition.

Expecting Allen to carry an offense at this stage with inferior surrounding cast is asking for trouble. Short drives, three and outs and/or turnovers is going to make for long afternoons. Sending McCarron to Oakland was a huge mistake. Read the SI article on Mahomes and how a year watching is paying dividends. 

Swimming in a pool infested with sharks doesn’t necessarily mean you will become a great swimmer. If Allen gets eaten alive physically and/or emotionally then the franchise is set back two more years and the Williams’ era will almost look appealing. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Sean McVeigh figured this out with Goff.  The radio to the QB cuts off with 15 seconds left on the play clock.  So what McVeigh did was get the Rams up to the line of scrimmage with more than 20 seconds on the clock.  That does two things

First, it cuts of substitutions by the defense.

Second, it gives the OC time to look at the basic defensive alignment and tell the qb what to look for, maybe to change the play.  It helps a young qb who may not be seeing everything yet.  Essentially, it allows a coach on the field.  

Look for it Sunday.  

If Josh is able to command the offense well enough I could see this as a possibility. I'm not sure that he is ready to run a no huddle offense through an entire game, even with having extra time to have Deball in his hear with an extra 5-8 seconds left on the play clock. If he can do it great! I hope you're right Shaw. Would really love to see JA succeed.

33 minutes ago, iinii said:

First they have to prove they can run the ball. 

From an offensive line perspective, yes. From a RB perspective? Not really. Lesean is the best and most proven player on offense and is the type of back who can make things happen on his own. I also like our depth there, though there is a lot more to prove to be sure.

So of a BUNCH of unknowns on O, Lesean, all by his lonesome, is still our best bet IMO. And even a moderately effective run game should help with the clock and keeping the D fresh. Frankly I think we have to keep these games ugly-close for a while, Dick Jauron style, to have any chance to win.

5 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

From an offensive line perspective, yes. From a RB perspective? Not really. Lesean is the best and most proven player on offense and is the type of back who can make things happen on his own. I also like our depth there, though there is a lot more to prove to be sure.

So of a BUNCH of unknowns on O, Lesean, all by his lonesome, is still our best bet IMO. And even a moderately effective run game should help with the clock and keeping the D fresh. Frankly I think we have to keep these games ugly-close for a while, Dick Jauron style, to have any chance to win.

Shady is great but stacking 8 in the box is going to be tough sledding even for him.

19 minutes ago, iinii said:

Shady is great but stacking 8 in the box is going to be tough sledding even for him.

I agree but I trust him with the ball more than anyone else right now, and if they stack the box...then Josh's life should get easier.

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Right.  No huddle, not hurry up. 

So like I said earlier, then they have to get to the line and sit there.

How many false starts you think this line or this group of receivers will have if they have to line up for a ton of time each play? Was it our first game this year where our hard count got our OWN guy to jump? (legit Q, I think it was but I may be confusing it with another game)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Prediction, no it wont.

You DONT do a no huddle with your first time starting rookie QB and your O Line which has had multiple micues and miscommunications.  

Allens head will be spinning, you get him in the huddle so they can properly call the plays and everyone is one the same page.   This offense is not a "well oiled" machine which is necessary for the no huddle.  You dont want to rush the QB, for the OC to tell him what to look for they are going to have to rush to the line in time for the OC to get a look and the headseat is shut off with 15 seconds to go.

So if you are going to rush it every time, the just means the defense will have that much less time to rest between playing, a real real bad idea.  Last weekend the D was gassed by the end of Q1, LAST thing you want to do is speed the game up.

I cant think of a worse idea then to force an inexperienced QB into a no huddle situation.  He has enough to worry about.

It's no huddle, not hurry up. You just call the plays at the line I stead of the huddle.  The only rushing is that people have to get to the line promptly. 

7 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I agree but I trust him with the ball more than anyone else right now, and if they stack the box...then Josh's life should get easier.

How many false starts you think this line or this group of receivers will have if they have to line up for a ton of time each play? Was it our first game this year where our hard count got our OWN guy to jump? (legit Q, I think it was but I may be confusing it with another game)

They've practiced doung it all summer.  It isn't a big deal.  

4 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Sean McVeigh figured this out with Goff.  The radio to the QB cuts off with 15 seconds left on the play clock.  So what McVeigh did was get the Rams up to the line of scrimmage with more than 20 seconds on the clock.  That does two things

First, it cuts of substitutions by the defense.

Second, it gives the OC time to look at the basic defensive alignment and tell the qb what to look for, maybe to change the play.  It helps a young qb who may not be seeing everything yet.  Essentially, it allows a coach on the field.  

Look for it Sunday.  

In theory it might work, but I just don't think Vlad has enough time to get up off his back and jog the ten yards back tot he line of scrimmage.

34 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Very re-assuring, considering how great all the other things things they practiced all summer have worked out.

No reason to worry about 31 other flavors when you can't do vanilla right. Just play a normal game and RUN THE BALL.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I guess it would depend on what they give him.

I remember Jim Kelly stating they only ran about 7 different plays when they went no huddle.  Kept it very simple when they were hurrying.  Does that apply now, I'm not sure.

That was an offense that had playmakers at virtually every skill position. With that much talent, you can win with a small playbook.

• Like (+1) 1

It would be nuts to run the no-huddle with a rookie making his first start in the NFL. Keep it simple, but take a few deep shots because of his cannon of an arm.

Btw, an interesting footnote to last week's debacle was the fact that our coaching staff actually had Peterman start the game running a no-huddle. Man, were they way off on their assessment of his ability.

It's going to make a great trivia question one day: What NFL QB, with a minimum of 3 starts, had the worst QB rating in the history of the National Football League? (Bonus Info: His coaches actually had him open up in a no-huddle offense in his last start, thus hastening his departure from the league and to his new career in retail).

6 hours ago, Figster said:

While I Understand the idea behind it , the Oline needs time to gel before they should be attempting to run a no huddle in my humble opinion.

crawl before you walk kinda thing...

...agree 'Fig...can't begin to throw multiple variables into the mix when the kid is developing.......the OL needs time to gel or perhaps Liquid Nails..........with their HIGHLY suspect level of competency, another level for the kid to consider may be too soon....

• Thank you (+1) 1

Dont know if this is effectively the solution but i will agree they need to do something drastically different to even have a chance against the chargers......playing ultra conservative and safe will not cut it!  Nothing to lose at this point is how i see it......