Prediction: Bills will go no huddle on Sunday

MAJBobby

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Very reasonable. For me this season is about bringing Allen up when he is ready, unfortunately that game plan it out the window, i would be happy if he progresses through the year and doesn't get hurt, if we go 3-13 i dont care esp if we get pick #1.

say we do go 3-13 and end up with the first overall pick. what do we do with it? draft Bosa or possiblythe Oliver kid, perhaps trade back to acquire more draft capital?

Edited by Foxx

Any way you slice it, Daboll has to earn his money this week if we're going to have a chance. The oline should jump less this week since Josh will be calling all the cadences in practice, and the starting wr's should be used to the ball coming at them faster as well. But we will need a lot of misdirection, mayby murphy and shady on the field at the same time, maybe 3 te's for some different looks.

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

say we do go 3-13 and end up with the first overall pick. what do we do with it? draft Bosa or possiblythe Oliver kid, perhaps trade back to acquire more draft capital?

It depends what kind of haul we get, if there is some incredible QB everyone wants trade back.  Lord knows we have plenty of holes to fill 2 wrs, i te, 1 LB (Lorax is ancient), 3-4 O lineman i CB (Davis=bust)..yeap we have a lot of holes s0 most likely trade back.  In three years if Allen works out, Edmunbds is the real deal, we could have a heck of a team.  

11 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

It depends what kind of haul we get, if there is some incredible QB everyone wants trade back.  Lord knows we have plenty of holes to fill 2 wrs, i te, 1 LB (Lorax is ancient), 3-4 O lineman i CB (Davis=bust)..yeap we have a lot of holes s0 most likely trade back.  In three years if Allen works out, Edmunbds is the real deal, we could have a heck of a team.  

just going by your earlier post i replied to, Allen will have shown improvement so drafting another QB number 1 overall wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. additionally, if there is a qb who is thought worthy of being drafted number 1 overall, that would be a terrfiic position to be in. one would have to assume that another of the top 5 draft positions would need a QB and we  wouldn't have to drop that far back to get additional capital and still be guaranteed a blue chip prospect. it would be my hope that we did trade back and then draft BPA which hopefully would be a position in the trenches and up the middle.

Edited by Foxx

13 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Maybe take the QB and trade Allen for the draft capital. 

Just now, Foxx said:

just going by your earlier post i replied to, Allen will have shown improvement so drafting another QB number 1 overall wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. additionally, if there is a qb who is thought worthy of being drafted number 1 overall, that would be a terrfici position to be in. one would have to assume that another of the top 5 draft positions would need a QB and we  wouldn't have to drop that far back to get additional capital and still be guaranteed a blue chip prospect. it would be my hope that we did trade back and then draft BPA which hopefully would be a position in the trenches and up the middle.

I wrote in another post if Allen proves to be a total bust and or is seriously hurt and his future is in question, absolutely we draft a QB if there is one you want.   You might respond one year isnt enough time to tell and Allen was always a project but if he plays really poorly and doesnt make any progress in the season, you have to suck it up, admit you made a mistake a draft a QB.  If by some miracle Allen comes around you have tremendous trade bait with both QBs so haven't lost much at all.

1 minute ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Maybe take the QB and trade Allen for the draft capital. 

Yeah why not.

Just now, RoyBatty is alive said:

I wrote in another post if Allen proves to be a total bust and or is seriously hurt and his future is in question, absolutely we draft a QB if there is one you want.   You might respond one year isnt enough time to tell and Allen was always a project but if he plays really poorly and doesnt make any progress in the season, you have to suck it up, admit you made a mistake a draft a QB.  If by some miracle Allen comes around you have tremendous trade bait with both QBs so haven't lost much at all.

oh, i agree with your first sentance. i just don't believe that to be conventional NFL wisdom. hence the chances of it happening are remote.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yeah why not.

Conventional wisdom is not always wise. With conventional wisdom the steelers would not have drafted Terry Bradshaw, because they took Hanratty the year before.  The 49'ers wouldn't have traded for  Steve Young.  The cowboys would not have taken Staubach.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

McCarron wouldn't have gotten the Bills the win and likely wouldn't win too many games if he were starting.  Better to just get the Josh Allen era started.

I don’t think McCarron would make the team that much better if at all. It would just help protect the future of the Bills and Josh Allen. Look at Aaron Rodgers. He sat for two years and his era is well documented. Again look at Aaron Rodgers. All it took was one large man falling on his knee and he is now guestionable and limited. If you are willing to risk the future like that with a kid behind a horrible line so be it. He is going to take a beating this year. Beatings have little educational value IMO.

3 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Conventional wisdom is not always wise. With conventional wisdom the steelers would not have drafted Terry Bradshaw, because they took Hanratty the year before.  The 49'ers wouldn't have traded for  Steve Young.  The cowboys would not have taken Staubach.  

Everyone thought shananhan was crazy drafting Cousins &  RG III, turned out to be brilliant move, esp since Shanahan preceded to ruin RGIIs career.  QBs are just too damn valuable.

3 minutes ago, iinii said:

I don’t think McCarron would make the team that much better if at all. It would just help protect the future of the Bills and Josh Allen. Look at Aaron Rodgers. He sat for two years and his era is well documented. Again look at Aaron Rodgers. All it took was one large man falling on his knee and he is now guestionable and limited. If you are willing to risk the future like that with a kid behind a horrible line so be it. He is going to take a beating this year. Beatings have little educational value IMO.

Yep!

3 minutes ago, iinii said:

Can’t make decisions based on potential for injury.  At least as it applies in this case.

4 hours ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I think seeing the lineman physically man handled over and over again is the indicator that they are not physically strong. That is a given.  Maybe they are not idiots though.  What makes you think playing "vanilla" would allow a bunch of idiots to gel better than no-huddle? 

Because if you start with the simple things and can do them together, it gives you a base and it's easier to move onto slightly harder things? I'm not trying to be an ass to you but I think it's that simple. Give them a chance to get together and grow doing the A-B-Cs before D-E-F.

My worry about the no huddle itself is very situationally specific as I said...if we're at the line early like Shaw wants, and running clock as I want  I think they probably false start, twice. Or maybe don't hear the playcall/count from Josh at the line (we're at home, sure, should be ok.)  But heck I think lining up as normal, and committing to running the ball, plays away from our weaknesses and into our lone proven offensive strength, Lesean.

Actually, Nate Hackett went super-fast with EJ Manuel in his first start. And then never again. I do think there's something to be said for it with young QBs - learn a few options off a few basic plays, and then make the defense play straight up. Very often time is on the offense's side in the NFL, but with newbies at the QB position, it seems to me time benefits the defense.