NFL/NFLPA CBA puts McDermott in tough spot, but the upside is promising

AKC

On 9/14/2018 at 7:43 AM, RyanC883 said:

Great post.   I agree with it.  I almost wonder if the only help they would bring in is O-line (so as to not get Allen killed) and let the remainder of the season ride-out.  Lots of appealing FA targets next year that can fill a bunch of other holes.  

I'm excited for this weekend.  I think Allen has a good game.  

Cry of the Billsbird NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT YEAR.  NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXT YEAR.

On Friday, September 14, 2018 at 10:29 AM, Shotgunner said:

I will agree with the spirit of the OP, that the CBA hurts the product on the field. I also believe it leads to more significant injuries during games.

However, I do not believe it unfairly impacted us/McD this year since it's the same rule for everyone.

As for McD/Beane, they should be doing whatever it takes to field a competitive team within the current rules. I think making excuses for them sends a bad message from an FO that pushes accountability so fervently. 

The CBA is not going anywhere. Although the fans have historically sided with the billionaires against the millionaires, the owners/NFL are scared of another strike situation and will continue to endow these young men with unprecedented contracts and concessions. This likely means an eventual trimmimg of preseason, cutting practice further, limiting contact in practice, limitimg meetings, and additional in-game rules for safety.

As long as fans continue to spend big bucks, the owners and players will continue to make more and more money, all while doing less and less work. C'est la vie

On 9/14/2018 at 8:08 PM, BillsRdue said:

McD/Beaner know the rules and let it play against then.  Wanting to create competition, they took a chance and failed so far. There are good vets out there to sign, there is still cap space , there was time in OTA's and preseason to get things settled and move forward with cohesion. It's If you are steering the Titanic into an iceberg, you can't blame the boat.

With that said, it's the NFL and things can look very different week to week. Peterman did us no help. Let's see how we fare with Allen. If we are not competitive this week at home, they better bring in help soon.

Who are the Vets who are out there that can come and start and not suck the same level as the current ones ?

Also, the premise that our OL was unsettled through TC is bull crap.  Other than the Center, we pretty much have had the same folks as the #1 OL.  What has changed is the chemistry between the OL and the QB as the three QBs were constantly rotated in as the #1 QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

Who are the Vets who are out there that can come and start and not suck the same level as the current ones ?

Also, the premise that our OL was unsettled through TC is bull crap.  Other than the Center, we pretty much have had the same folks as the #1 OL.  What has changed is the chemistry between the OL and the QB as the three QBs were constantly rotated in as the #1 QB. 

I don't know, of the guys who are still available or on scout teams.

I do think there were better FA than Bodine and Newhouse this Spring.  Some of them are playing better for other teams and were signed for reasonable cost.

Just a point that saying "the line was the same except for the center" is pretty much like saying "the house was the same, except for the foundation" (plus I think they also rotated one of the guards - RG? to put Groy in at guard sometimes when he wasn't at center)

Another McDermott/Beane  excuse thread!  :thumbdown:    The latest scapegoat for the total incompetence of McDermott and Beane is now the CBA, which is not only the same for all NFL teams but has been in effect for several years (since 2011 IIRC).   Guess what, Bills fans?  The current state of the team is not the fault of Rex Ryan or Doug Whaley or Tyrod Taylor or Marcel Dareus or Vlad Ducasse or the NFL/NFLPA CBA.  It's the fault of HC Sean McDermott and GM Brandon Beane who don't know what the hell they're doing -- and the current Bills corporate food chain all the way up to the Pegulas who not only hired McDermott and Beane but gave them far more power over the team than either one should have given their lack of experience.

On 9/14/2018 at 1:43 PM, El Guapo said:

I think it was Pat Kirwan, co-host of Moving the Chains on NFL XM, that said it takes three years of practice under today CBA to equal what you used to get in a single year. That’s a lot of development and repetition that is lost, especially for the lines. 

Yes, I understand all teams play by these rules, but think about the development of young players that just doesn’t happen anymore. 

What is needed is for players to say NFLPA rules are stupid and serve those who make the most money on team.

I'd like some players to what they did in "Stripes" and just decide they are going to practice on their own, even if not contact, going over playbook, etc.  A team which really gets virtual game working will have an advantage.