NFL/NFLPA CBA puts McDermott in tough spot, but the upside is promising

AKC

The Effect:

McDermott and his staff took the 2018 preseason and juggled multiple QB/OC/OL combos in an attempt to create an environment where all 3 QBs would get some balanced shot at showing their own readiness. The result entering the regular season was that there is no cohesion along our OLine. In today’s NFL many teams do limited experimentation with their #1 OL during the preseason, trying to give some time to work in a new FA or younger player but wholesale change is rare. We just didn’t have the luxury with the loss of two of our top 3 starters and the strategy of evaluating the auditioning Linemen including most importantly at OC. The Bodine/Groy switches all preseason will remain for at least few more games the root cause of flying flags on offense. The 2018 Bills OL is a mix of moving parts and with our questions at QB overriding cohesion at OL we were left entering the regular season opener at about the quality of OLine cohesion most teams were at entering their  preseason game 1.

The Cause:

The current CBA has limited the time and intensity of practice and player/coach time to a degree that hurts some units more than others. OLine is arguably the most affected by the limits agreed to in the CBA since there are 5-7 parts (including TEs) that need to work together in some ways like a choreographed dance troupe. The preseason limits on contact and practice days are crippling for teams trying to repair major changes in their OLine from one season to another. Our QB Competition and line juggling to play a large part in our situation this year, but the CBA practice limits hurt everybody on both sides of the CBA and damage the quality of the product on the field for every team in the league.

The Cure:

The League and the NFL Players Union pick their wins and losses in the CBA for their respective sides- on the one side the owners and the other side the players. Both sides make some dubious choices- for instance the owners feel those 4 preseason games are a big win. The Players Union pitches the limited practice to the players as a win, but it’s really no win for any but some star players and even then mostly those in skill position roles. The much larger body of players, and especially those on units like the OL, would be exceedingly better off if they had more time with their coaches and unit teammates. It’s probably safe to assume most of those fighting for line spots would much rather have added opportunity to practice yet that opportunity is taken away by a stupid concession that owners make to the Players Union in the CBA. The fix seems simple- allow players to individually negotiate any practice limits in their own contracts instead of having them decided by the NFL and the Players Union in the CBA. Sure the marquis RBs and WRs would seek less practice time but most of the NFL Hoi Polloi would surely join all the serious QBs in seeking as much time as possible with their teams and units. Now that I’ve solved that problem I want to mention Big Bob asked me if I’d stop by here since he’ll be at Hammer’s Sunday for the TBD Opener Tailgate for the first time in a long time. You all be gentle with the Big Guy, he got awful soft during his “stay” out here on the West Coast ?

I should also mention the upside if it's not obvious- as a result of the decision to try to offer a QB competition Josh Allen got better reps this preseason than he otherwise might have. God luck Sunday kid!

Edited by AKC
add info
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I will agree with the spirit of the OP, that the CBA hurts the product on the field. I also believe it leads to more significant injuries during games.

However, I do not believe it unfairly impacted us/McD this year since it's the same rule for everyone.

As for McD/Beane, they should be doing whatever it takes to field a competitive team within the current rules. I think making excuses for them sends a bad message from an FO that pushes accountability so fervently. 

The CBA is not going anywhere. Although the fans have historically sided with the billionaires against the millionaires, the owners/NFL are scared of another strike situation and will continue to endow these young men with unprecedented contracts and concessions. This likely means an eventual trimmimg of preseason, cutting practice further, limiting contact in practice, limitimg meetings, and additional in-game rules for safety.

As long as fans continue to spend big bucks, the owners and players will continue to make more and more money, all while doing less and less work. C'est la vie

• Like (+1) 2

McD/Beaner know the rules and let it play against then.  Wanting to create competition, they took a chance and failed so far. There are good vets out there to sign, there is still cap space , there was time in OTA's and preseason to get things settled and move forward with cohesion. It's If you are steering the Titanic into an iceberg, you can't blame the boat.

With that said, it's the NFL and things can look very different week to week. Peterman did us no help. Let's see how we fare with Allen. If we are not competitive this week at home, they better bring in help soon.

3 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

McD/Beaner know the rules and let it play against then.  Wanting to create competition, they took a chance and failed so far. There are good vets out there to sign, there is still cap space , there was time in OTA's and preseason to get things settled and move forward with cohesion. It's If you are steering the Titanic into an iceberg, you can't blame the boat.

With that said, it's the NFL and things can look very different week to week. Peterman did us no help. Let's see how we fare with Allen. If we are not competitive this week at home, they better bring in help soon.

Great post.   I agree with it.  I almost wonder if the only help they would bring in is O-line (so as to not get Allen killed) and let the remainder of the season ride-out.  Lots of appealing FA targets next year that can fill a bunch of other holes.  

I'm excited for this weekend.  I think Allen has a good game.  

So we've now reached the point where we are blaming the CBA for our inability to compete?

That's a pretty awesome excuse, since the rest of the league plays by the same rules.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Everyone goes by the same rules...getting more talented players would go a long way...there is plenty of practice time including 4 preseason games

Nah man.

It's obviously the CBA's fault our oline sucks.

Has nothing to do with their talent or coaching.

It's the CBA's fault.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is a moot point.  Every team works under the same rules.  The Bills front office is trying to get from under all the dead cap space and are trying to field a competitive team.  There was no money to go out and sign better offensive linemen.  This season is/was doomed to fail.  We as fans and the team just has to take its lumps and make the best out of a bad situation.  in 2019, the Bills will be out of the salary cap prison. They will have a QB on a rookie contract and will be able to fill holes in the free agency market.  Unfortunately, we have to trust the process...:doh:

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Big Curt said:

This is a moot point.  Every team works under the same rules.  The Bills front office is trying to get from under all the dead cap space and are trying to field a competitive team.  There was no money to go out and sign better offensive linemen.  This season is/was doomed to fail.  We as fans and the team just has to take its lumps and make the best out of a bad situation.  in 2019, the Bills will be out of the salary cap prison. They will have a QB on a rookie contract and will be able to fill holes in the free agency market.  Unfortunately, we have to trust the process...:doh:

True but Beane created a lot of dead cap space with McCarron and Coleman

18 minutes ago, nucci said:

Yes.  You are correct.  Beane created this cap problem in the short term.  The issues everyone had with Whaley is he didn't plan for the future.  Beane is planning for the future and people are upset.  This is his first full year in this position and most football teams take three years to improve.  Some do it in one, but this cupboard is bare in talent so it'll probably take the full three.  The Bills had one of the worst teams to EVER make the playoffs last year.  They needed many improvements in 2018 and were lucky enough to barely get in the playoffs in 2017.  The 2017 team had many, many flaws and this team has a worse roster.  This is basically a complete rebuild.  This year is/was inevitable, it just came a year too late. 

Edited by Big Curt
mistyped

4 minutes ago, Big Curt said:

Yes.  You are correct.  Beane created this cap problem in the short term.  The issues everyone had with Whaley is he didn't plan for the future.  Beane is planning for the future and people are upset.  This is his first full year in this position and most football teams take three years to improve.  Some do it in one, but this cupboard is bare in talent so it'll probably take the full three.  The Bills had one of the worst teams to EVER make the playoffs last year.  They needed many improvements in 2018 and were lucky enough to barely get in in 2017.  The 2017 team had many, many flaws and this team has a worse roster.  This is basically a complete rebuild.  This year is/was inevitable, it just came a year too late. 

Good points....I'm just tired of losing and always building for the future....would like to win before i die

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, nucci said:

I think they were a total of like $5mil between the both of them

Dareus 13.5

Wood 10.4

Glenn 9.6

Tyrod 7.6

Aaron williams 2.42

Ragland 1.2

Incog 1.15

Darby 400k

then a bunch of 90-300k below that

In the end, technically he did create all that dead cap, but AJM and Coleman were not the issues (although both were dumb moves)

25 minutes ago, GG said:

Bob Lamb, AKC, KRC?

What is this, Old Timers Week?

Good to see Bob Lamb mentioned.  He and I attended many games together.  Hey... We were told last year that this was a rebuilding season. We hopefully have our QB and can build a O- line around him, and get our DL going. Kyle stuck around for a reason... He gets it..

Edited by Fires

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

Good points....I'm just tired of losing and always building for the future....would like to win before i die

I feel you.  I've been a fan since 1984 as a seven year old.  I'm tried of rebuilding as well, but when you get a new owner, president, general manager, head coach and quarterback...What is that called?? Lol...ANOTHER FREAKING REBUILD...:doh: