Why Josh Allen is Fit for Success and a Fit for Buffalo

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

It's pretty obvious they didn't want to start Josh this early since they gave np the start against the Ravens, then reluctantly gave Josh the nod mid week.

It doesn't just come down to mental fortitude btw.

If you have a terrible oline and your QB is devastated all the time by pressure, it's very hard to lean to be a QB when you spend every play on your back or running for your life.

There's also a very high risk of injury.

No, a bad loss doesn't define a season.

A preseason then opener in which we haven't been able to block at all is recipe for disaster though.

Don't give me the bs about preseason not counting and guys don't try blah blah blah.

Our oline guys were literally playing for their jobs in preseason.

They were terrible against Baltimore.

Seriously our oline sucks.

So do our wrs.

Like worst in NFL sucks for both.

That's why people are down on THIS season.

Happy for Allen going forward, but this season doesn't look good.

Tired of all the "just be positive guys" bulls*it.

"It's only preseason"

"It's only one game"

Next it'll be "it's only a couple of games"

1) NP was their first choice clearly but they obviously know that injuries can happen on any play, at any time. Knowing that hey still traded AJ which meant that if NP had to come out for any reason, whether its the first play of the first game or later, they were OK with Josh coming off the bench. You say reluctantly like you know something when its pure speculation on your part.

2) Sure having a good O-line and more talented WRs would certainly help but that is not the ONLY way to learn. QBs have had success by being thrown in the deep end and some QBs have failed like that. Some QBs have had much better situations and still failed. There is no fool proof approach. What I know is that Josh is gonna learn a heck of a lot more playing than he would watch NP. There is virtually no benefit to having him sit behind NP.

3: "Don't give me the bs about preseason not counting and guys don't try blah blah blah." Youre very assumptive in your post. Im not gonna give you that but that Cincy game wasnt exactly the ideal situation for Josh. The O-line was rotated around on every single drive and I dont think Dawkins played at all, neither did McCoy.

My main point is lets give this team 3-4 games before the sweeping generalizations come out. Losing Richie and Wood was always going to be tough to replace but lets see how the team responds at home with Josh at QB. The Baltimore game was also dictated a lot by how the defense played. We were immediately behind and playing catch up all game. I do not expect the defense to let in 40 point a game. A lot can change game to game. it doesnt have to be all doom and gloom after one bad loss.

Edited by jletha

24 minutes ago, jletha said:

1) NP was their first choice clearly but they obviously know that injuries can happen on any play, at any time. Knowing that hey still traded AJ which meant that if NP had to come out for any reason, whether its the first play of the first game or later, they were OK with Josh coming off the bench. You say reluctantly like you know something when its pure speculation on your part.

2) Sure having a good O-line and more talented WRs would certainly help but that is not the ONLY way to learn. QBs have had success by being thrown in the deep end and some QBs have failed like that. Some QBs have had much better situations and still failed. There is no fool proof approach. What I know is that Josh is gonna learn a heck of a lot more playing than he would watch NP. There is virtually no benefit to having him sit behind NP.

3: "Don't give me the bs about preseason not counting and guys don't try blah blah blah." Youre very assumptive in your post. Im not gonna give you that but that Cincy game wasnt exactly the ideal situation for Josh. The O-line was rotated around on every single drive and I dont think Dawkins played at all, neither did McCoy.

My main point is lets give this team 3-4 games before the sweeping generalizations come out. Losing Richie and Wood was always going to be tough to replace but lets see how the team responds at home with Josh at QB. The Baltimore game was also dictated a lot by how the defense played. We were immediately behind and playing catch up all game. I do not expect the defense to let in 40 point a game. A lot can change game to game. it doesnt have to be all doom and gloom after one bad loss.

The team didn't want to start Allen yet.

Yes I do know, because it's obvious.

Get your head out of your @ss.

The offensive line and WRs suck.

The defensive line is not even league average.

Stop acting like "everything will be okay if we just hold hands and wish really hard".

Team sucks.

Have some good young pieces for the future.

The other guys are garbage and not even PS level.

You can't sail in a boat full of this many holes.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

We haven't seen this kind of work ethic since EJ Manuel....

I thought Tuh-rod worked harder than Manuel?

Just now, QBorBust2018 said:

Already see this as a failure. Allen is being set up to fall on his face. Could not be more of a disaster with the the current state of the offensive roster. On to the next one...

Yes, on to the next FO...

Edited by PeterDude

Most high picks have been taken in by bad teams, obviously. And many superstar QBs had a shaky first year in teams that ended up with way more L than W. So just wait before the doom'n'gloom for Allen. It went from "he's a bust!" before he even played a preseason snap to "this OL and coaching staff will kill him or his confidence". Hey, both could happen but can you let the kid and the team play more than one game, as horrible at that game was?

As a Bills fan, I hope he crushes it, that he is the future. He may be a bust, this team might break his spirit, IDK, but I'm betting he is a winner! Anyway, I don't see the point in the downers that are so afraid to be disappointed they just mouth off negative crap all the day long. They'd rather be "proven right" in their cowardly skepticism than you know, actually root for the team! And don't give us the "I'm realistic" crap. We don't know yet how Allen will turn out, nobody does, and unless a major trade is done, this is, for better or worse or really worse, the team for this year.

37 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Most high picks have been taken in by bad teams, obviously. And many superstar QBs had a shaky first year in teams that ended up with way more L than W. So just wait before the doom'n'gloom for Allen. It went from "he's a bust!" before he even played a preseason snap to "this OL and coaching staff will kill him or his confidence". Hey, both could happen but can you let the kid and the team play more than one game, as horrible at that game was?

As a Bills fan, I hope he crushes it, that he is the future. He may be a bust, this team might break his spirit, IDK, but I'm betting he is a winner! Anyway, I don't see the point in the downers that are so afraid to be disappointed they just mouth off negative crap all the day long. They'd rather be "proven right" in their cowardly skepticism than you know, actually root for the team! And don't give us the "I'm realistic" crap. We don't know yet how Allen will turn out, nobody does, and unless a major trade is done, this is, for better or worse or really worse, the team for this year.

Frankly he is used to playing on a team with a poor OL and no weapons. Maybe that’s a factor in why he was drafted? They may have thought a guy like Mayfield - his film shows high success surrounded by talent. They didn’t know how he would do without that, and they are in the process of building this but aren’t there yet. Josh is used to having to do a lot himself (I believe Beane even mentioned this) and therefore he already has this mentality that the situation is not going to be ideal and he will need to rise up. The intent being that as the talent level increases over the next year or 2, he’s only going to improve after having been used to playing without it. 

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, come now, Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman both have it

Yeah they do.  I think fans sometimes believe if they don't read or see a player on social media working out....they're not a hard worker.

I played with a guy who was drafted high by the Boston Red Sox.  You know who he said worked harder than any other Red Sox?  Manny Ramirez.  A guy that is viewed as the "Manny being Manny" and lazy guy with talent.  That wasn't the case.  My friend said he put in more time than any other player.

4 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

My worry is the organization failing Allen, not Allen failing the organization. 

He’s got every physical tool. He’s shown improvement in areas he needed to address. But he’s not being put in a position to succeed.  

Disagree.  He is still doing lots of the things he has been doing.  This fanbase sees a good throw no and again in a preseason game and develops the false narrative that Allen "has it".

We don't know if he's close to having it, but we are going to start finding out on Sunday.

He will rise or sink to the level of his own competence.  Players can't be ruined.

That's a myth.

If Allen has "the tools" as we have seen in limited capacity thus far, then he shouldn't be a disaster this Sunday, even behind a sub-par O-line.  I'm pretty sure the running game will be grinding out some yards on the home turf.  The guys will play hard for him.  He needs to protect himself too and go easy on the unnecessary scrambling and lunging for first downs. He was bounced on his head twice in preseason. not good.  

3 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

I'm glad everyone isn't ready to jump in front of a train.

1 week in, less than 2 quarters for Allen and now half the fanbase hates McD? I just don't get it.

I have tons of hope for Josh, McD, and the team in general- but not today. The success (if achieved) will be in the subsequent years. The biggest surprise is that fans are now just realizing that, as I believe it has been blatantly apparent the whole time (since last year).

We can look terrible every week this year, but as long as Josh shows progress, I'm happy. Remember how bad the first years were for guys like Wentz, Goff, and Peyton, and how good the first years were from guys like Prescott or even RG3 or VY. There is no defined path to success with a QB, it takes all kinds. I believe Josh has IT, and will force himself to succeed.

Stay the course. Trust the process. Don't panic. There will be pain, hopefully followed by a long sustained period of success. That's the whole point of this, whether it works or not.

That's a good point and the qbs you mentioned (Dak, RG III, Vince Young) all had great play action from a strong running game plus RPO  Each struggled once having to read coverage and make plays from the pocket was asked of them. They looked better early on because the line play was good, they were all athletic and able to make plays out of the pocket.   If a qb can make plays from the pocket under duress early on I think bodes well.  Especially if he has to make throws into tight windows and from we saw that is going to be the case till they get better play makes and the line improves.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, come now, Tyrod Taylor and Nathan Peterman both have it

Work ethic was off the charts for Taylor IMO.

I still can't help, but wonder what the combination of Sammy and T Mobile could have accomplished after all their off season work together.

#Sabotaged

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Disagree.  He is still doing lots of the things he has been doing.  This fanbase sees a good throw no and again in a preseason game and develops the false narrative that Allen "has it".

We don't know if he's close to having it, but we are going to start finding out on Sunday.

He will rise or sink to the level of his own competence.  Players can't be ruined.

That's a myth.

I dont think Josh will be ruined....he has dealt with lack of quality targets and protection for years at Wyoming.....

I do think fans need to be patient here.....in order to take advantage of a QB like Josh Allen's strenghts you have to pass protect longer then 2 seconds.....and guys you pay millions to can let a ball that hits them right in the hands or stomach fall to the ground.

43 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

That's a myth.

To jump in on the "ruined" topic, I agree with you players can't be ruined mentally (like what folks say happened to Trent Edwards).

When I say ruin, I mean take injuries (obvious junk OL). Either that, or suck early and the organization doesn't give you enough time to show what you have. I believe the latter is much more likely, though it would not really be Josh fault.

The "IT" I speak of is not a flashy throw. I think that's the one quantifiable benefit Josh has, and it's inherent so it's not an "it factor" imo. When I say he has "IT", I mean the time, study, preparations, charisma, leadership, etc that have been reported by coaches and teammates. "It" also refers to the fire, the sense of competition that he shows. EJ for example didn't get enough time to show what he had, but acted like he didn't care and was not a leader.

I believe Josh has IT and it's not from a flashy throw, it's the combination of his character AND the physical tools. That's my take.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

I'm glad everyone isn't ready to jump in front of a train.

1 week in, less than 2 quarters for Allen and now half the fanbase hates McD? I just don't get it.

I have tons of hope for Josh, McD, and the team in general- but not today. The success (if achieved) will be in the subsequent years. The biggest surprise is that fans are now just realizing that, as I believe it has been blatantly apparent the whole time (since last year).

We can look terrible every week this year, but as long as Josh shows progress, I'm happy. Remember how bad the first years were for guys like Wentz, Goff, and Peyton, and how good the first years were from guys like Prescott or even RG3 or VY. There is no defined path to success with a QB, it takes all kinds. I believe Josh has IT, and will force himself to succeed.

Stay the course. Trust the process. Don't panic. There will be pain, hopefully followed by a long sustained period of success. That's the whole point of this, whether it works or not.

Great post. 

So many fans are morons. I get the desire to want to win right now, but if you can’t see what the FO is trying to do and how it’s playing out right now, then you just don’t get it and never will. 

1 hour ago, Shotgunner said:

When I say ruin, I mean take injuries (obvious junk OL). Either that, or suck early and the organization doesn't give you enough time to show what you have. I believe the latter is much more likely, though it would not really be Josh fault.

That might happen if the backup was someone like Kyle Orton, but after Nate's performances, it seems pretty clear that they're all-in with Josh at this point. In Cortez-like fashion, the coaches have burned the boats and told the crew to fight or die.