Why Josh Allen is Fit for Success and a Fit for Buffalo

26CornerBlitz

Why Josh Allen is Fit for Success and a Fit for Buffalo

His time on the field may have come sooner than planned by the Bills organization. Head coach Sean McDermott had a detailed and defined plan for bringing Josh Allen along. Whether or not that plan has been accelerated, Allen’s time is now.

As he prepares for his first career NFL start, Allen knows he’s likely to experience some hard lessons in his rookie season. But the first-round pick has a perseverance to him that you don’t find in every rookie NFL quarterback.

He doesn’t make the same mistakes twice. Allen dedicates himself to improvement and isn’t satisfied unless he’s the first one in the building and the last one out.

PUTTING IN WORK
NFL GOALS
WHY BUFFALO FIT ALLEN
THE TO-DO LIST
TIME ON THE JOB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

My worry is the organization failing Allen, not Allen failing the organization. 

He’s got every physical tool. He’s shown improvement in areas he needed to address. But he’s not being put in a position to succeed.  

I agree he isn’t in a position to succeed this year. The goal is for him to succeed eventually though and the plan is to build around him so he can succeed next year, etc. they may not have planned to play him this early (though i question that given what they did not do in the FA QB market) but imo, his success will not be judged on this year, but rather years 2,3,4,5. What I want to see from him this year is growth in his mechanics, footwork, accuracy, reading NFL defenses, and experience gained on the field. I still think that can be attained without elite weapons or an elite OL.

• Like (+1) 5

“For any young player you come into a new system and you learn how the coaches want things done,” said Daboll. “Then you as a coach, you drill it. You drill it pre-practice, during practice and there are different techniques for every position. He’s been grinding.”

This line from Daboll is what annoys me with NFL coaches and I hear repeated every off-season with a different QB prospect. I may be wrong but shouldn't a young QB learn the skills required to be a successful QB in the league instead of how coaches want it done for their system? I could be reading too much into these quotes but I believe a lot of coaches want a player to learn their system more than they want them to learn how to be the best pro they can be. Good coaches should look to improve their player's skill and adjust their system to the strengths of their players.  

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I agree he isn’t in a position to succeed this year. The goal is for him to succeed eventually though and the plan is to build around him so he can succeed next year, etc. they may not have planned to play him this early (though i question that given what they did not do in the FA QB market) but imo, his success will not be judged on this year, but rather years 2,3,4,5. What I want to see from him this year is growth in his mechanics, footwork, accuracy, reading NFL defenses, and experience gained on the field. I still think that can be attained without elite weapons or an elite OL.

This. This board has been awful to read lately because everyone is POSITIVE that the Bills 1) Didnt want to start Josh this early 2) are doomed to go 0-16 3) are going to ruin Josh. All of this after 1 single game in which Josh barely played.

The Bills brass wouldnt have traded McCarron if they werent comfortable with Josh playing this early. The O-line did not look good in game one but one bad loss doesnt define a season. A couple years ago we started out 0-2 and looked terrible before rattling off 4 straight wins. I remember in 2011 we beat the Chiefs in week one 41-7. The Chiefs finished with a better record than us. It is ridiculous to make  sweeping generalizations about an entire season and condemn a front off after one (ONE!!!) game. There is evidence on both sides of the "Can you ruin a young QB by playing him too early" debate. IMO if comes down to mental fortitude. Josh has shown he has that so I for one am all in favor of this and very much looking forward to the rest of the season and next season.

• Like (+1) 5

I believe the most recent parallel would Jared Goff with the Rams. In his roookie year people were are all really concerned. Flash forward one year and they’re a consensus contender. There’s little doubt that 2018 is going to be ugly for the Bills. Let’s hope it’s an investment not a cost.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, jletha said:

This. This board has been awful to read lately because everyone is POSITIVE that the Bills 1) Didnt want to start Josh this early 2) are doomed to go 0-16 3) are going to ruin Josh. All of this after 1 single game in which Josh barely played.

The Bills brass wouldnt have traded McCarron if they werent comfortable with Josh playing this early. The O-line did not look good in game one but one bad loss doesnt define a season. A couple years ago we started out 0-2 and looked terrible before rattling off 4 straight wins. I remember in 2011 we beat the Chiefs in week one 41-7. The Chiefs finished with a better record than us. It is ridiculous to make  sweeping generalizations about an entire season and condemn a front off after one (ONE!!!) game. There is evidence on both sides of the "Can you ruin a young QB by playing him too early" debate. IMO if comes down to mental fortitude. Josh has shown he has that so I for one am all in favor of this and very much looking forward to the rest of the season and next season.

To add to this. The Bengals defensive line made the Ravens (supposedly above average) o-line look horrible last night. I'm not saying our line is good but competent QB play will help them improve. It would help if we had quicker receivers that can get separation on shorter routes too. 

Edited by PurpLegacy
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm glad everyone isn't ready to jump in front of a train.

1 week in, less than 2 quarters for Allen and now half the fanbase hates McD? I just don't get it.

I have tons of hope for Josh, McD, and the team in general- but not today. The success (if achieved) will be in the subsequent years. The biggest surprise is that fans are now just realizing that, as I believe it has been blatantly apparent the whole time (since last year).

We can look terrible every week this year, but as long as Josh shows progress, I'm happy. Remember how bad the first years were for guys like Wentz, Goff, and Peyton, and how good the first years were from guys like Prescott or even RG3 or VY. There is no defined path to success with a QB, it takes all kinds. I believe Josh has IT, and will force himself to succeed.

Stay the course. Trust the process. Don't panic. There will be pain, hopefully followed by a long sustained period of success. That's the whole point of this, whether it works or not.

• Like (+1) 13

16 minutes ago, jletha said:

It's pretty obvious they didn't want to start Josh this early since they gave np the start against the Ravens, then reluctantly gave Josh the nod mid week.

It doesn't just come down to mental fortitude btw.

If you have a terrible oline and your QB is devastated all the time by pressure, it's very hard to lean to be a QB when you spend every play on your back or running for your life.

There's also a very high risk of injury.

No, a bad loss doesn't define a season.

A preseason then opener in which we haven't been able to block at all is recipe for disaster though.

Don't give me the bs about preseason not counting and guys don't try blah blah blah.

Our oline guys were literally playing for their jobs in preseason.

They were terrible against Baltimore.

Seriously our oline sucks.

So do our wrs.

Like worst in NFL sucks for both.

That's why people are down on THIS season.

Happy for Allen going forward, but this season doesn't look good.

Tired of all the "just be positive guys" bulls*it.

"It's only preseason"

"It's only one game"

Next it'll be "it's only a couple of games"

14 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Stay the course. Trust the process. Don't panic. There will be pain, hopefully followed by a long sustained period of success. That's the whole point of this, whether it works or not.

Lots of panic flying around this week... I agree with you, as I have said in other threads.  The sky is not falling, we actually have management that is building something for the future, instead of just patching things together as they go.  It looks different than what we are used to around here.  

Josh will make mistakes, but he will grow through them, and with the attributes we have already seen him show, I believe he has the elements of a bright future.  

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Are you ready to be amazed? Our QB we waited for since 1995 when Kelly retired is about to play. All the "experts" are about to eat crow after Josh takes control. BILLIEVE!!

Kelly didn't retire until 1996

Edited by SMAKCruiser
  • Haha (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, jletha said:

The Bills brass was stupid.

• Haha (+1) 1

All you can ask of a young Qb is to work his butt off and do the best he can preparation wise to succeed.  Looks like he'll do that.  As with all young QBs, it will come down to whether he can get the game to slow down enough to make the right reads and the right throws.  Tme will tell.