Sadly, McDermott is the wrong guy to develop his own guys

BigDingus

6 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I think there's a couple camps of people around here. First would be those who hated the McDermott hire, and those that didn't. Those who did are going to harp over every mistake those who didn't aren't.

I think, and I may be wrong, that Gunner is in group one.

Let me guess which camp you're in. I'm in the camp that this team's weak far beyond the quarterback position but Tyrod was better than Peterman, more proven than Allen. By trading McCarron you left yourself,in my mind,weaker than you were. Not in any camp just an opinion.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Radar said:

Let me guess which camp you're in. I'm in the camp that this team's weak far beyond the quarterback position but Tyrod was better than Peterman, more proven than Allen. By trading McCarron you left yourself,in my mind,weaker than you were. Not in any camp just an opinion.

I am one who assumed McCarron would be the guy while Allen got ready.  Peterman beat him out then threw up on himself.  

I hope they will now sign a guy like Anderson.

8 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I think there's a couple camps of people around here. First would be those who hated the McDermott hire, and those that didn't. Those who did are going to harp over every mistake those who didn't aren't.

I think, and I may be wrong, that Gunner is in group one.

Well you would be wrong. I loved the McDermott hire. He was my guy before we even fired Rex. I made a post on this very forum that said it is McDermott or McDaniels. McDermott remains my guy. 

This issue can be summed up in two words - Nathan and Peterman. He sucks. He always has and he always will. I have seen some terrible Quarterbacks play for the Bills but never one so overmatched for the level as Nate. And I knew it before he took the field even once. It was there for anyone paying attention to see.... all over his college tape. He is terrible. 

I hope Josh plays well this week and this is the last time I ever have to discuss that pathetic clown. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well you would be wrong. I loved the McDermott hire. He was my guy before we even fired Rex. I made a post on this very forum that said it is McDermott or McDaniels. McDermott remains my guy.

OK, then, I stand corrected!

8 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Seems they might be overthinking this a little.  Peterman was terrible and is not the future, Josh Allen is the future.  Conventional wisdom is McD was hoping Peterman would be good enough to allow Allen to learn and allow the game to slow down.  So now if you're going to have a QB be terrible, it might as well be Josh Allen.  Peterman may not be a lot further in his development than Allen, but with a lot less upside.

On 9/14/2018 at 2:32 AM, BigDingus said:

Yeah, why would we ever need McCarron when we got these 2 studs here locking down the fort?

I get the gist and agree somewhat with OP.

I do have to point out a weakness in argument: McCarron is just slightly more experienced than JA and NP. McCarron is hardly a well-seasoned grizzled old vet. And McCarron's training camp performance was meh. Using  the McCarron trade to critique McD's QB development skills is not compelling argument.

The more important question to me: How is Daboll at developing QB's? I'm not getting a warm fuzzy there.

On 9/15/2018 at 1:33 AM, BigDingus said:

Just like we've seen hundreds of times in the past, at least one QB shoots up the board based on "potential," having a great arm, size, and hand size, and the large majority of the time they fail.

Beane copied Whaley's idea on a quarterback scouting report and got his own Manual. But the process involved surrounding Allen with NOTHING, while planless Whaley went all in on supporting EJ. I just don't get Beane at all.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/16/2018 at 2:02 PM, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Beane copied Whaley's idea on a quarterback scouting report and got his own Manual. But the process involved surrounding Allen with NOTHING, while planless Whaley went all in on supporting EJ. I just don't get Beane at all.

Yep...and at this point, I'm not quite sure if that's a good thing or bad thing. On one hand, Allen was already such a risk that the only way you should've drafted him so high was if you had a stable veteran in place to mentor him, preferably combined with a solid all-around team, especially on the offensive side of the ball. 

On the flip-side, if he just ends up being the next EJ Manuel or JP Losman, not sinking additional picks/trades/money into doubling down each year may help mitigate our losses. But we won't really know for sure until next off season, as this year may kick his a** so bad he realizes the only way to save his job is to get better NOW. We very well could be looking at another 1st/2nd round WR, some big spending in FA (we'll have plenty of cap space), and contracts that may come back to haunt us if Allen doesn't pan out.