On the Lamb - Redux - Bills vs. Chargers

Bob Lamb

It’s Been A While – but in light of the Chargers coming back to OP – let’s see

The LA/SD Chargers have owned the Bills ever since 1960. Their head to head record is 12-24-2

The Chargers have a 3-7 advantage in the last 10 games. The two teams did not face each other from 1986 through 1998.

The last Bills home win was a decade ago – October 19, 2008. This was the infamous “Balloon” game. I was in my sports bar in Vista, CA surrounded by the San Diego Faithful (not as many as you might think – Raiders fans are strong there). Then the game powered out. CBS was at a complete loss. Just recently, I had a conversation with the lead electrician from that day – and he just explained the situation as the complete sequence of everything that could go wrong – DID.

Despite the SOCAL brethren being upset – this was the Bills last win:

Trent Edwards was 25/30 – 8.7 YPT and 1 TD

Marshawn Lynch was 19 for 70 (3.68) and one TD

Lee Evans was 8 for 89 and one TD

Ryan Lindell contributed 3 FG

The Chargers were largely ineffectual but Philip Rivers will be in the HOF one day – Jim Kelly never won a Super Bowl either.

Some fun facts from Bills/Chargers history

November 20, 1960: The Bills pick off five Jack Kemp passes and cruise to a 32-3 win

November 11, 1962: The Bills go to 4-0-1 and a 37-0 halftime lead as Jack Kemp sat on the Bills bench.

December 26, 1964: Chargers ran an 80 yard opening driving and only 99 for the rest of the game. Bills win the AFC Championship Game 20-7. Mike Stratton made the Bills’ most famous hit ever on Keith Lincoln.  Each Buffalo player’s winning share was $2,668.

December 26, 1995: The Bills win their second AFL Championship game – 23-0 – the Chargers never get past the Bills 24.

October 5, 1980: Both teams were undefeated – The Bills won 26-24. Jim Hasslet intercepted a Dan Fouts pass and Joe Cribbs scored the winning TD.

December 6, 1981: The Bills win a defensive struggle 28-27 as they throttle Dan Fouts and Chuck Munice. Steve Freeman and Rufus Bess co-op on a fumble and then Charlie Romes and Mario Clark sealed the deal.

October 15, 2000: The Bills win 27-24 in OT – the 0-6 Chargers lose on their way to 1-15 season but in the next draft the Chargers draft LaDamian Tomilson and Drew Brees

Edited by Bob Lamb
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

You left out one of the best, but most painful, games in the history of the rivalry.  January 4, 1981.  AFC Playoff game.  Chargers score long TD with 2 minutes to play to beat the Bills 20-14.  This is the game when Joe Ferguson gutted it on on one ankle and the Bills were in control until the fateful Fouts pass to Smith.  I was a kid at the time, but remember seeing the play and feeling like I just got punched in the gut.  Little did I know that I would experience that same feeling so many times in the 35+ years to follow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1981/01/04/fouts-50-yard-pass-to-smith-ousts-buffalo-20-14-in-afc/432bf4c0-4062-402c-9b8d-ea9bfcd23b1f/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b1c02bcdcee8

7 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

You left out one of the best, but most painful, games in the history of the rivalry.  January 4, 1981.  AFC Playoff game.  Chargers score long TD with 2 minutes to play to beat the Bills 20-14.  This is the game when Joe Ferguson gutted it on on one ankle and the Bills were in control until the fateful Fouts pass to Smith.  I was a kid at the time, but remember seeing the play and feeling like I just got punched in the gut.  Little did I know that I would experience that same feeling so many times in the 35+ years to follow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1981/01/04/fouts-50-yard-pass-to-smith-ousts-buffalo-20-14-in-afc/432bf4c0-4062-402c-9b8d-ea9bfcd23b1f/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b1c02bcdcee8

I remember this game myself.  I was also a little kid.

This is one of the earliest games I have specific memories of.  And that defeat really hurt at the time!

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Ron Smith. Ugh.