Mike Schoop.....fantasy guru? Lol

Bubba Gump

2 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

All this idiot wants to talk about on a supposed Buffalo sports talk radio station is fantasy football. Who cares about your 20 teams and who you should start or trade for. This station and program is NOT all about you!!! Can't stand this moron anymore. Don't know how Bulldog sits through all this crap.

I like the show but I was thinking this exact thing today. I hate fantasy talk and this show is obsessed with it. Had to turn it off on my way home from work today.

I was annoyed a couple days ago.  At a time when there is a lot going on with the Bills, he opened the show by spending like 10 minutes discussing his 8 year old (?) son and whatever silly thing he did/said the night before.

I know they like to ease into the show with something light or off-topic, but it just struck me as really annoying.  No one in the audience including Bulldog gave a rat's ass about what Schopp's kid was doing, but Schopp loved it, of course.

Luckily I could FF and get to a point in the show where they were actually discussing the football team.

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I love when people complain about the content on WGR but still listen to it everyday.

I don't listen everyday,  but when I happen to tune in to find out about which QB may be starting or something else important, all I here is that douche talking about his fantasy teams. Total worthless radio. Mike Schoop's fantasy teams mean nothing to me.

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

I don't listen everyday,  but when I happen to tune in to find out about which QB may be starting or something else important, all I here is that douche talking about his fantasy teams. Total worthless radio. Mike Schoop's fantasy teams mean nothing to me.

I really only listen to those jokers when I have to commute. It’s better for my BP that way

I get the complaints, but in their defense, they have a 4 hour show that runs five days a week plus a postgame. Is there really 20 hours of Bills talk that can and needs to happen on a  week to week basis? Keep in mind, both of these guys have spent their entire careers covering a team that never even made the playoffs. Now that we finally made it, the team looks worse than it has at any point since the drought, so it's easy to fall right back into drought-talk.

Would it be more interesting if they had dynamic stores like "Embedded" and "Beyond Blue and Gold"? Of course, but that's not what that is. Frankly, I think it's nice to break up the same old discussions with some unrelated talk to keep the Bills stuff fresh, but I can understand if you only listen to it in the car on the way home, and you don't get what you were expecting.   

Edited by BullBuchanan

i enjoy listening to Schopp and the Bulldog. I enjoy listening to Howard and Jeremy as well. They don't always stay on the topic of Bills and Sabres, but i think that is what i like about them. i used to love it when the morning show would smite people. and the occasional afternoon drafts are just fantastic. i think i listened to the Halloween Candy Draft three or four times. i don't agree with every point any of these guys make, but i enjoy listening. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, uticaclub said:

As I wish Sal had a bigger presence on the show, he's the best talent on WGR by far. Schoop & the Bulldog are the best source for Bills sports talk radio content. I would rather hear about fantasy sports than how garbage this team is, how McDermott is in over it's head and how we will have to overpay for mediocre talent with all the cap space next year, since we're such a dumpster fire. I honestly miss Rex, Rex might embarrass you off the field but we have been embarrassed on the field 22% on the games McDermott has coached.   

Huh?

If I recall correctly didn't Schoop only get into fantasy football a couple years ago?  Could explain his obsession with it right now...you know that new toy feeling when you find a new hobby but at the same time it doesn't make for the most interesting talk radio show but these guys are going to talk about topics they want to.  

7 hours ago, uticaclub said:

As I wish Sal had a bigger presence on the show, he's the best talent on WGR by far. Schoop & the Bulldog are the best source for Bills sports talk radio content. I would rather hear about fantasy sports than how garbage this team is, how McDermott is in over it's head and how we will have to overpay for mediocre talent with all the cap space next year, since we're such a dumpster fire. I honestly miss Rex, Rex might embarrass you off the field but we have been embarrassed on the field 22% on the games McDermott has coached.   

??? Rex was an embarrassment on the field too. He took an elite defense and made it very bad. That was incredibly embarrassing.

Oh, and the fact that we were among the league leaders in penalties when he was here.

You've got some recency bias going on. You're looking at McDermott's tenure through the lens of one game.

7 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree.  There is a spot on the radio for a lot of fantasy football talk, but that is on one of their dedicated fantasy football hours.

If you really want to talk about fantasy football that much (and I know SOME people want to hear it), then tell us what segment, or half hour of the show you are going to do it in so I know about it in advance and can tune out.

I have defended WGR on this board many times, but that afternoon show is getting really bad, even to me.  Most of the time I can deal with the morning show, when it starts at 6am they get onto the topic of the day (sports) pretty quick.

The AFternoon show though?  I can't tell you how many times I tuned in (even on some days with a 'pretty big' sports topic occuring), only to hear those two talk about their day...what time they got up...where they drove to, who they talked to in their personal life....and by 3:12 I've had enough and either go to satelite radio or 590 out of Toronto.  It should NOT take 10 minutes of going through your personal life or recapping your daily schedule before you get to sports!

They are Lebatard lite. They aren't interesting enough nor clever, funny, smart enough to do pull off the show they'd like to do. It's not well enough produced either.

I for one don't mind a show like that, but I'm in a minority in this market for that though. They can never laugh at themselves or make jokes at their own expense. They are boring and flat and their personal stories, I can't recall one being hilarious. I don't care if you have to make it up, they're entertainers. 

I listen to the first local hour of the lebatard show everyday, it's my favorite hour. And sports is mixed in but it's mostly jokes, ragging on each other, telling personal stories. If anyone could enjoy what they attempt to do, I'd be the listener. They don't bother me as much as most, but even I'm like wtf are you talking about when I listen.

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I get the complaints, but in their defense, they have a 4 hour show that runs five days a week plus a postgame. Is there really 20 hours of Bills talk that can and needs to happen on a  week to week basis? Keep in mind, both of these guys have spent their entire careers covering a team that never even made the playoffs. Now that we finally made it, the team looks worse than it has at any point since the drought, so it's easy to fall right back into drought-talk.

Would it be more interesting if they had dynamic stores like "Embedded" and "Beyond Blue and Gold"? Of course, but that's not what that is. Frankly, I think it's nice to break up the same old discussions with some unrelated talk to keep the Bills stuff fresh, but I can understand if you only listen to it in the car on the way home, and you don't get what you were expecting.   

I totally agree with this point, my only complaint would be that they are completely atrocious at. You have a pizza boy and a Bob Matthews (who has no personality) understudy putting together that. They have no producers with any personality at this time. That time is pretty poorly done.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

This X1,000

These guys would love for the team(s) to do well.  It would be like finding water in the desert.  More to talk about, more listeners, excited callers, content different than the last monotonous 20 years, national appearances/attention, etc.  

I couldnt imagine hosting and trying to come up with content in this sports environment for that long.  I cannot even listen to it much

11 hours ago, MJS said:

??? Rex was an embarrassment on the field too. He took an elite defense and made it very bad. That was incredibly embarrassing.

Oh, and the fact that we were among the league leaders in penalties when he was here.

You've got some recency bias going on. You're looking at McDermott's tenure through the lens of one game.

Correct, but that "elite defense" melted down against a 3-13 Raiders team and prevented us from going to the playoffs

We were in every game that Rex coached and with a better QB or one with a touch of clutch, he's probably still our coach