The Ringer's Rodger Sherman Does Not "Respect the Process"

26CornerBlitz

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Ah yes. The classic TSW takedown of a writer when they negatively critique the Buffalo Bills.  Not at all predictable.  ;)

Have some fun, linker man.    This place is a real sanitarium when the Bills lose...

His other article on the Jests starts out this way, so Ol' Rodger can laugh at more than the Bills:

"...As a fan of the New York Jets, I have spent most of my life waiting for my favorite football team to look competent. Instead, they have cemented their status as one of the funniest franchises in professional sports, a consistent laughingstock whose attempts at competence have only dug them deeper into failure. "

Edited by Lurker

12 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

They used 6 1-3 round picks to draft 3 players, Allen, Edmunds and Harrison.  Even if all 3 of those players are good for a rebuilding team with a ton of needs that is not smart.

I think what’s not smart is building a team but not taking the best shot possible to get the best QBs possible.  Otherwise you end up resorting to lesser draft prospects, other teams backups, washed up veterans and reclamation projects. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's not what his critique is about.

I disagree. He is saying he doesn't understand their plan for building.  But they spent capital to get their QB and their leader of the D; two young guys who could be fixtures for years.  How is that not a plan for building?

8 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Have some fun, linker man.    This place is a real sanitarium when the Bills lose...

His other article on the Jests starts out this way, so Ol' Rodger can laugh at more than the Bills:

"...As a fan of the New York Jets, I have spent most of my life waiting for my favorite football team to look competent. Instead, they have cemented their status as one of the funniest franchises in professional sports, a consistent laughingstock whose attempts at competence have only dug them deeper into failure. "

Nice prose if you ask me.  

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I disagree. He is saying he doesn't understand their plan for building.  But they spent capital to get their QB and their leader of the D; two young guys who could be fixtures for years.  How is that not a plan for building?

Exactly my point. It's about the expenditure of draft capital with too many trade ups especially for a LB.  They better be home runs given the price paid as we all hope they turn out to be.  It's a legit question to raise. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Exactly my point. It's about the expenditure of draft capital with too many trade ups especially for a LB.  They better be home runs given the price paid as we all hope they turn out to be.  It's a legit question to raise. 

Well of course they have to hit.  That goes without saying for any franchise.

Their building plan is multiyear.  Got two key pieces this year, got a LT and CB last year.  Some other starters/depth guys. With 10 picks and a boatload of cash next year they have to get more linemen and a good WR.

They have a plan.  How well they execute will determine their future and that of the team.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

We got a fifth back in that trade, do you think that dropping from the 3rd to a 5th is such a huge give up? Especially given that they were able to get one of the top defenders on their board.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Their building plan is multiyear.  Got two key pieces this year, got a LT and CB last year.  Some other starters/depth guys. With 10 picks and a boatload of cash next year they have to get more linemen and a good WR.

They have a plan.  How well they execute will determine their future and that of the team.

Of course they do, but I think it's okay to raise questions along the way. It's part of what's done here.

3 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

We got a fifth back in that trade, do you think that dropping from the 3rd to a 5th is such a huge give up? Especially given that they were able to get one of the top defenders on their board.

For consistent starters...

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

5th Round - TE (32%) DB (17%) WR (16%) OL (16%) DL (13%) RB (9%) LB (4%) QB (0%)

HUGE difference.  

Edited by stony
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, stony said:

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

5th Round - TE (32%) DB (17%) WR (16%) OL (16%) DL (13%) RB (9%) LB (4%) QB (0%)

HUGE difference.  

What are the percentages? Either way we picked a DB so we dropped from a 24% to a 17% so a 7% difference. Seems small to me. Especially since Edmunds was a top 10 talent. 

Curious us where your stats i from, I don’t doubt them I just want to look at them more.  

Edited by Batman1876

47 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Would you not say getting two guys you see as your leaders for years on both sides of the ball is a good start at rebuilding?

They didn’t have to use that capital.  They could have gotten similar or better players, along with others to get the rebuilding started.  They could have gotten several QB for less or even no capital.  They gave up capital to get Allen, Edmunds and Harrison, along with giving up capital to get Zay and gave up Dareus to get Wyatt Teller.

With a bad roster, with tons of holes, the foundation of this rebuild was way to expensive IMHO.

Edited by Billsflyer12

27 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There is a philosophy to drafting players. Some believe that more picks = a better chance that some of them pan out. If you spend multiple picks to get a certain player you are putting all of ypur drafting eggs in a single basket. Your odds of success decrease. Whether or not you subscribe to this philosophy would determine if you thought the Bills strategy was good or shortsighted.

1 minute ago, Billsflyer12 said:

They didn’t have to use that capital.  They could have gotten similar or better players, along with others to get the rebuilding started.  They could have gotten several QB for less or even no capital.  They gave up capital to get Allen, Edmunds and Harrison, along with giving up capital to get Zay and gave up Dareus to get Wyatt Teller.

With a bad roster, with tons of holes, the foundation of this rebuild was way to expensive IMHO.

Let's take QB as I think everyone agrees that is pivotal.  They saw a guy they felt could be the guy for years to come.  That costs draft capital.  So when you say they could have gotten other QBs for less or no capital who? Jackson perhaps, and if you feel Jackson has similar or better potential then you'd make that argument.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

There is a philosophy to drafting players. Some believe that more picks = a better chance that some of them pan out. If you spend multiple picks to get a certain player you are putting all of ypur drafting eggs in a single basket. Your odds of success decrease. Whether or not you subscribe to this philosophy would determine if you thought the Bills strategy was good or shortsighted.

This past year they were clear they wanted to get their QB.  And they did.  And it cost them some capital.  Then they had an opportunity to get a guy they feel can anchor their D and spent an extra pick there.  They get those two right the rebuilding is off to a good start. If it doesn't Beane will make an excellent scout somewhere and McD will coach DBs for a while.

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Let's take QB as I think everyone agrees that is pivotal.  They saw a guy they felt could be the guy for years to come.  That costs draft capital.  So when you say they could have gotten other QBs for less or no capital who? Jackson perhaps, and if you feel Jackson has similar or better potential then you'd make that argument.

This past year they were clear they wanted to get their QB.  And they did.  And it cost them some capital.  Then they had an opportunity to get a guy they feel can anchor their D and spent an extra pick there.  They get those two right the rebuilding is off to a good start. If it doesn't Beane will make an excellent scout somewhere and McD will coach DBs for a while.

I’m aware of what the Bills did. It’s just that not everyone agrees with their choices. Perhaps the writers opinion would be different if they had drafted Rosen ( a more polished prospect) or not spent as much and drafted Edmunds, then moved up slightly to draft Jackson. Time will tell. If Allen is a stud, no one will care what was given up to draft him. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

I’m aware of what the Bills did. It’s just that not everyone agrees with their choices. Perhaps the writers opinion would be different if they had drafted Rosen ( a more polished prospect) or not spent as much and drafted Edmunds, then moved up slightly to draft Jackson. Time will tell. If Allen is a stud, no one will care what was given up to draft him. 

Yep.  I was a Rosen guy myself.  I am happy with what I've seen from Allen though.

8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

No idea why Coach McDermott gave Peterman that second start

Why wouldn't he?   AJ had a poor outing in pre-season game2.  Josh had a poor outing in game3.  Only QB who performed consistently across the four games including the one Nate started was Nate.   Argument could have been made to keep AJ instead of Peterman...But when two players show the same set of cards, the regime is going to keep the guy they drafted and get something in return for the other guy.   

What the Bills failed to see that both Nate and AJ couldn't go above a certain level and should have gone out and got another Veteran QB.

The writer's opinion is right on the mark, as many in this forum have also expressed very similar thoughts over the past week (including me). The Pegulas are in over their heads, and it's rather obvious. Sad but true. Yeah, they kept the team in Buffalo, and that's great, but other than that, it's a dumpster fire.

• Like (+1) 1