Jump to content
YoloinOhio

SI.com: Why Peterman started Wk 1, Why Allen is starting now, and Why Tyrod was never coming back

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i know i'll feel better about this Bills team if the Ravens come close to doing to the Bengals tonight what they did to us last Sunday. on the other hand, if Cincinnati lights Baltimore up, i won't have much hope for our home opener.

Early in the season still. Lots of settling out and weird results. I wouldn't read too much into it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldmanfan said:

Yep.  My bad. With Bradford I guess I just assumed it was injury.  Still somewhat similar, in that the article states if Allen had looked better against the Bengals odds are he starts last week.

Yeah, that's the part that I disagree with. That game was played without our starting LT, and the coaches went into the game planning to shuffle the interior OL. That's not a situation they would have expected positive results from. I do think the Bengals game was a test, but I think Allen came out of it impressive. His mechanics did not regress under pressure often, he kept his poise, he didn't complain, and he addressed the media by taking responsibility instead of making excuses and pointing fingers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

How about Wentz?  I think that's the best comparison.  Both out of small schools, both were supposed to sit, but both got thrown in earlier thane expected, one because of injury to the placeholder and one because the placeholder was inept. 

 

We'll see what happens.  If instead of Peterman being terrible last week, he's have blown out his shoulder, we'd be in the same position.  So we'll see how the kid responds.  If he rises to the challenge like Wentz, great.

 

Between Wentz and Goff, Wentz was considered far more NFL ready at the draft and even coming out of camp. Eagles also had a SB level roster to surround Wentz and take some of the pressure off him. Everyone keeps comparing him to Allen because they both came from small schools but the comparison ends there. They're completely different QBs, with polar opposite situations (as far as help talent), and their learning curves coming into the league couldn't be anymore dissimilar. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yeah, that's the part that I disagree with. That game was played without our starting LT, and the coaches went into the game planning to shuffle the interior OL. That's not a situation they would have expected positive results from. I do think the Bengals game was a test, but I think Allen came out of it impressive. His mechanics did not regress under pressure often, he kept his poise, he didn't complain, and he addressed the media by taking responsibility instead of making excuses and pointing fingers.

I see your point.  I was screaming at my TV during that game.  The interior of the line was thrown around like a pee wee team playing a college team.  Ducasse weighs like 330?  And got thrown around like a rag doll.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

Allen gives the Bills their best shot to win now............

 

Really ?? we're going to win now ??

Did Albert bother to look at our schedule before writing this piece ?

________________

 

So they didn't start Allen in Game 1 because he got annihilated against the Bengals,

but now he's going to start every game this year and not get hurt ?

 

And just for the heck of it...........suppose he does have to sit a few snaps............

who are they going to bring in to replace him ?

 

 

I don't want to think about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VW82 said:

 

Between Wentz and Goff, Wentz was considered far more NFL ready at the draft and even coming out of camp. Eagles also had a SB level roster to surround Wentz and take some of the pressure off him. Everyone keeps comparing him to Allen because they both came from small schools but the comparison ends there. They're completely different QBs, with polar opposite situations (as far as help talent), and their learning curves coming into the league couldn't be anymore dissimilar. 

Not sure I agree. Both came out of small school, both played pro style offense if I recall correctly.  Both had pretty much ideal measurable.  Wentz's stats looked better, but as one who has a pretty fair knowledge of statistics you could argue some statistical comparisons were very weak and didn't take  important variables into account.

 

Doesn't matter now though.  He gets his shot starting Sunday and we'll see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I see your point.  I was screaming at my TV during that game.  The interior of the line was thrown around like a pee wee team playing a college team.  Ducasse weighs like 330?  And got thrown around like a rag doll.

Not saying my interpretation is definitively right or anything either. It's just the way I saw the game. It was the only game where they announced the starter before gameday (so Cincy knew they were getting the rook), plus the OL issues. Seemed like a situation where they wanted to see how the young man handles adversity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Early in the season still. Lots of settling out and weird results. I wouldn't read too much into it.

right. tonight should help to develop the context of just where that beating stands.

Edited by Foxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Not saying my interpretation is definitively right or anything either. It's just the way I saw the game. It was the only game where they announced the starter before gameday (so Cincy knew they were getting the rook), plus the OL issues. Seemed like a situation where they wanted to see how the young man handles adversity.

I look at it this way.  If hindsight was 20:20 they most likely would have brought a guy like Anderson in as the vet.  But maybe they couldn't afford him given the cap, who knows?  But let's say they bring Anderson in to be the guy McCarron was supposed to be, and he gets hurt game 1. The Allen era starts then anyway.

 

As it turns out, Peterman earned his shot with his play in preseason, threw away his shot, and same thing:  the Allen era begins.

 

However it turned out, the kid gets his shot.  And we'll see what he does with it.  Although if I see Ducasse and/or Groy and/or Miller or all three get pushed straight back into Allen's face again, I'll scream even louder at the TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Peterman is just a mini-fiasco imo. He was a 5th round pick. He played poorly in two games, both losses. We kept him over AJ McCarron. I'm not terribly upset over the whole Peterman thing if truth be told as long as it's in the past.

 

And anyone who reasonably looks at this from an objective point of view knows that by starting Peterman is an insignificant decision that didn't play one iota of importance to the end result in either the Charger or Ravens football game or for that matter and more importantly in the overall trajectory of this football team.

 

It's just a bunch of teeth gnashing for the sake of teeth gnashing and nothing more.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Magox said:

 

And anyone who reasonably looks at this from an objective point of view knows that by starting Peterman is an insignificant decision that didn't play one iota of importance to the end result in either the Charger or Ravens football game or for that matter and more importantly in the overall trajectory of this football team.

 

It's just a bunch of teeth gnashing for the sake of teeth gnashing and nothing more.

 

Actually, that is impossible to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should have drafted Rosen.  It's the only decision, aside from not trading McCoy, that I didn't agree with coming from the Bills brass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Actually, that is impossible to know.

 

 

 

You'd have to be a real fool to believe that we could have won with any of the QB's that we had on the roster on either last or this year's roster.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Magox said:

You'd have to be a real fool to believe that we could have won with any of the QB's that we had on the roster on either last or this year's roster.

That's your opinion, and it's fine. But it doesn't change that what you claimed is absolutely impossible to know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

Why would you expect nothing less then Greatness. Bills fans are punch drunk on bad quarterbacks and let downs it makes me sick. Josh Allen is about about to light up new Era Field and show he is the best rookie quarterback this year and a future NFL star. Doubters will eat a large stinky crap sandwich. GO BILLS!!!!

 

Related image

Is it blue cheese or Ranch with that sandwich.    Maybe start a poll?😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

 

Lie^^

 

😭

 

A idiot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course the plan all along was to let Allen take over. That's why they traded McCarron. They think Allen is ready to start now. Who cares about one loss in a season with zero chance at a Super Bowl. Bills fans are so reactionary.

5 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Come on any article that lauds the Star signing should be looked at a tad skeptically

 

Star was good on Sunday. The Ravens couldn't get a consistent run game going. Star takes up blockers and allows the LBs to be aggressive. He's doing exactly what they're paying him to do.

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Getting Allen through the accumulation of picks has zero to do with the fiasco of the Peterman Principle that McD and Beane are wholly responsible for.

 

What is the fiasco? We lost a game? Who cares. We're not going to win a lot of games this year. They declared an open QB competition and some people here didn't want to believe it was really open. Peterman won the open competition, then utterly failed in a real game. Now Allen has his opportunity to learn on the field. You only have to hit on a QB once. If Allen ends up our franchise QB no one will care 5 years from now that they incorrectly judged Peterman as a viable bridge starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Wentz was far enough along in camp that the staff saw it fit to trade away Sam Bradford. It wasn't an injury, it was a decision by the FO.

 

 

Why would any player in the NFL have anyone as their agent other Bradford's guy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Of course the plan all along was to let Allen take over. That's why they traded McCarron. They think Allen is ready to start now. Who cares about one loss in a season with zero chance at a Super Bowl. Bills fans are so reactionary.

 

Star was good on Sunday. The Ravens couldn't get a consistent run game going. Star takes up blockers and allows the LBs to be aggressive. He's doing exactly what they're paying him to do.

 

What is the fiasco? We lost a game? Who cares. We're not going to win a lot of games this year. They declared an open QB competition and some people here didn't want to believe it was really open. Peterman won the open competition, then utterly failed in a real game. Now Allen has his opportunity to learn on the field. You only have to hit on a QB once. If Allen ends up our franchise QB no one will care 5 years from now that they incorrectly judged Peterman as a viable bridge starter.

The fiasco is believing that Nate Peterman can play in this league. Because of this fiasco, we had a national embarrassment, players questioning their coach, and no backup quarterback when our starter may get abused. I don't think you are considering what effect this has in the locker room and on the team. It was a disaster and it remains a disaster if NP is asked or forced to play again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yeah, that's the part that I disagree with. That game was played without our starting LT, and the coaches went into the game planning to shuffle the interior OL. That's not a situation they would have expected positive results from. I do think the Bengals game was a test, but I think Allen came out of it impressive. His mechanics did not regress under pressure often, he kept his poise, he didn't complain, and he addressed the media by taking responsibility instead of making excuses and pointing fingers.

Resting Dawkins and rotating the offensive linemen every series certainly does not appear to have been a plan conducive to QB success in that game. I am not sure what the test actually was (although I do have my theory); however, it was clear that the coaching staff put Allen in situations that were more difficult than they had to be. I agree with you: Allen did impress given the circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VW82 said:

 

Between Wentz and Goff, Wentz was considered far more NFL ready at the draft and even coming out of camp. Eagles also had a SB level roster to surround Wentz and take some of the pressure off him. Everyone keeps comparing him to Allen because they both came from small schools but the comparison ends there. They're completely different QBs, with polar opposite situations (as far as help talent), and their learning curves coming into the league couldn't be anymore dissimilar. 

 

They aren’t Completely different QBs... they were recruited by the same coach who has said their are similarities 

 

they are both big, stout pocket passers 6’5 235+, and have high levels of athletic ability and escapability from the pocket. Both are very creative when plays break down and are strong with throwing off would be sack artists

 

Carson Wentz was more cerebral than Josh Allen coming out while Allen is more physically gifted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The fiasco is believing that Nate Peterman can play in this league. Because of this fiasco, we had a national embarrassment, players questioning their coach, and no backup quarterback when our starter may get abused. I don't think you are considering what effect this has in the locker room and on the team. It was a disaster and it remains a disaster if NP is asked or forced to play again.

 

At least 10 teams a year have QBs that can't compete. Maybe 3 teams have backups that can compete. The Browns are 1-31 the past two years!! I don't think their players are revolting in the locker room. If Allen goes down with an injury I want our backup to be terrible. I don't want to win another game this year if that happens. The players will get over it. Stuff like that is way overblown.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year after the Chargers game we went out and beat the Chiefs, and in fact went 4-2 in our last 6 games. If the players were going to revolt it would have happened then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm awfully confused as to why people on this message board, who have seen so many terrible QBs are now on this "they weren't developed properly" bandwagon.

 

EJ Manuel was garbage in college, on a stacked team and was only asked to throw 3 yard passes. He had 5 300 yard games in 3 years in a weaker conference. There was nothing to develop. Do you think the coaches weren't trying to get JP to throw the ball instead of running backwards, fumbling, getting sacked, etc.? And who said to Trent hey, take this cheapshot to the helmet and never be the same. On 3.

 

You are either good enough to play in the NFL or you aren't. Your career can end at any moment. Remember when Cam rolled his truck on the freeway? That could've been it for him. Or how about Kolb slipping on a mat?

 

Hall of Fame Qbs tend to have Hall of Coaches and vice versa. And I think a lot of the time, the QB is making them look good, not the other way around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Early in the season still. Lots of settling out and weird results. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Not to mention the NFL is a game of match-ups and sometimes one team has another team's number.

 

If A beats B, and B beats C, A may very well not beat C as well.

 

Doesn't work that way automatically.

 

However, the other poster's point remains valid.  I.E., the game tonight gives us a little more insight into how good or bad Baltimore is this season.

 

We'll know exactly how good they are by Week 6 or so.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×