Jump to content
YoloinOhio

SI.com: Why Peterman started Wk 1, Why Allen is starting now, and Why Tyrod was never coming back

Recommended Posts

Except I'm not worried as much for Allen's confidence behind this line as I am for his physical health.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Never said he did. I was just saying that it sounds like he had a conversation with McDermott or Beane, where they explained their thinking on this season and some of the decisions they’ve made. 

I feel like Some of the stuff in that article clearly came at the direction of, or from a discussion with, Beane and/or McDermott. 

 

Your words, not mine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

 

Of course!  Terry P probably slipped Breer $100G under the table and asked him to write an article to instill faith for the fans.

 

If SI wanted to sell an article and and get the most hits, they'd write an article ripping the Bills for all the moves.

That's a crowded market right now, isn't it?  A different take is to provide a positive perspective for those who are tired of the local and national media beating up their team.  It's working.  I never suggested anything was influenced by OBD, just saying that they have a market for positive Bills news in saturated bad news Bills market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Getting Allen through the accumulation of picks has zero to do with the fiasco of the Peterman Principle that McD and Beane are wholly responsible for.

Peterman is just a mini-fiasco imo. He was a 5th round pick. He played poorly in two games, both losses. We kept him over AJ McCarron. I'm not terribly upset over the whole Peterman thing if truth be told as long as it's in the past.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

And some aren't.  HOFers like Aikman and P Manning.  

 

Don't play Allen.....you'll RUIN him!!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I feel like Some of the stuff in that article clearly came at the direction of, or from a discussion with, Beane and/or McDermott. 

 

Your words, not mine.

 

You are right. That’s what I said. But also notice the “or from a discussion with” part. 

 

I guess i could have been more clear on what I meant. 

 

I wasn’t saying that they directed/forced him to write that article, as you seemed to imply. 

 

I was saying that maybe they called him up and discussed their thinking with him in order to help get their message out to the fans. Or maybe he wrote the article because of a conversation he had with them. Stuff like that happens all the ime. 

 

All I meant is that the way the article was written, it seemed to me that some of the info may have come from a Bills source. 

Edited by BillsFan4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Peterman is just a mini-fiasco imo. He was a 5th round pick. He played poorly in two games, both losses. We kept him over AJ McCarron. I'm not terribly upset over the whole Peterman thing if truth be told as long as it's in the past.

Well he did last three minutes and thirty-eight seconds longer than the last fiasco! So there is progress!

 

Either that or maybe McD is getting more stupider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Peterman is just a mini-fiasco imo. He was a 5th round pick. He played poorly in two games, both losses. We kept him over AJ McCarron. I'm not terribly upset over the whole Peterman thing if truth be told as long as it's in the past.

Sometimes a god-fearing man needs to recognize when a temptation is too strong to resist and remove the temptation from their life. As long as NP is on the roster I'm nervous as heck that McD will continue to have random outbursts of incompetence.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

You are right. That’s what I said. But also notice the “or from a discussion with” part. 

 

I guess i could have been more clear on what I meant. 

 

I wasn’t saying that they directed/forced him to write that article, as you seemed to imply. 

 

I was saying that maybe they called him up and discussed their thinking with him in order to help get their message out to the fans. Or maybe he wrote the article because of a conversation he had with them. Stuff like that happens all the ime. 

 

All I meant is that the way the article was written, it seemed to me that some of the info may have come from a Bills source. 

Gotcha.  I think the article is pretty much exactly where McD was coming from.


The kid gets his shot.  Interesting about his take on the Cinci pre-season game.  If anyone up front had decided to play in that game, maybe Allen starts last week and this whole debate would have been moot.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Sometimes a god-fearing man needs to recognize when a temptation is too strong to resist and remove the temptation from their life. As long as NP is on the roster I'm nervous as heck that McD will continue to have random outbursts of incompetence.

So Peterman is the apple and McD is Adam...I suppose that makes Beane Eve and BullBuchanan the devil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

 

Don't play Allen.....you'll RUIN him!!

 

 

I personally was an advocate to sit him for a while and let him learn.  But plans change.  I'm trying to imagine the conversation McD had with him yesterday.  Maybe along the lines of:

 

Josjh allen!  Josh Allen!

 

Look Josh.  You have to lead your troops.  When I was 12 years old Josh, I lost both my parents in the same month!  I had 12 brothers and sisters and I was the youngest, but they all looked up to me.  And I had to lead my troops..  You have to lead your troops, son.

 

Or something like that.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoBills808 said:

So Peterman is the apple and McD is Adam...I suppose that makes Beane Eve and BullBuchanan the devil.

I think Daboll is Eve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm. I heard there was no hope and that the Bills should fire everyone and not bother showing up on Sundays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

 

I would like to hear honest answers from the folks here on how they would react if Allen started out the way Aikman did.  

 

Year GP Att Com Pct Yds TD Int Long QB Rating
1989 11 293 155 52.9 1,749 9 18 75 55.7
1990 15 399 226 56.6 2,579 11 18 61 66.6
1991 12 363 237 65.3 2,754 11 10 61 86.7

 

It took Aikman three years to get to where EJ Manuel started as a rookie.

 

Obviously we're in a different era where passing is easier, but people here will probably be screaming to draft another QB by half-way through the season.

 

 

Not only that but Aikman was the number one overall pick and considered ready to start right out of camp. Manning was the number one overall pick and considered ready to start right out of camp. Allen was considered raw at the draft, a bit of a reach at 7, and seemed no where near ready to start coming out of camp.   

 

The better comparison is Goff. Even though he was taken at one the Rams knew he needed time, so they had Case Keenum start those first nine games then put Goff in when they were out of it and the pressure was off. He sucked, predictably, but the consequences weren't as big at that point so no one was calling for his head. He got reps in a less stressful environment and was able to take that experience into year two when the Rams were able to put a much improved team around him. 

 

I thought his was our plan too, but McBeane would rather throw Allen to the wolves I guess. The national media is just dying to give this kid the bust label, and you know fans will turn on him if he doesn't look good before the end of the year. I can't recall a team putting their unproven rookie QB in this tough of a spot.

Edited by VW82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I personally was an advocate to sit him for a while and let him learn.  But plans change.  I'm trying to imagine the conversation McD had with him yesterday.  Maybe along the lines of:

 

Josjh allen!  Josh Allen!

 

Look Josh.  You have to lead your troops.  When I was 12 years old Josh, I lost both my parents in the same month!  I had 12 brothers and sisters and I was the youngest, but they all looked up to me.  And I had to lead my troops..  You have to lead your troops, son.

 

Or something like that.

 

 

 

"Look at my pecs Josh.  LOOK AT THEM!!  These pecs will never lie to you, never turn on you, or let you down.  These pecs which fill up my always-on Bills gear long sleeved T shirt are all you need to believe in.....because they (now) believe in you."

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i know i'll feel better about this Bills team if the Ravens come close to doing to the Bengals tonight what they did to us last Sunday. on the other hand, if Cincinnati lights Baltimore up, i won't have much hope for our home opener.

Edited by Foxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

 

Not only that but Aikman was the number one overall pick and considered ready to start right out of camp. Manning was the number one overall pick and considered ready to start right out of camp. Allen was considered raw at the draft, a bit of a reach at 7, and seemed no where near ready to start coming out of camp.   

 

The better comparison is Goff. Even though he was taken at one the Rams knew he needed time, so they had Case Keenum start those first nine games then put Goff in when they were out of it and the pressure was off. He sucked, predictably, but it didn't matter. He got reps in a less stressful environment and was able to take that experience into year two when the Rams were able to put a much improved team around him. 

 

I thought his was our plan too, but McBeane would rather throw Allen to the wolves I guess. The national media is just dying to give this kid the bust label, and you know fans will turn on him if he doesn't look good before the end of the year. I can't recall a team putting a kid in this tough of a spot.

How about Wentz?  I think that's the best comparison.  Both out of small schools, both were supposed to sit, but both got thrown in earlier thane expected, one because of injury to the placeholder and one because the placeholder was inept. 

 

We'll see what happens.  If instead of Peterman being terrible last week, he's have blown out his shoulder, we'd be in the same position.  So we'll see how the kid responds.  If he rises to the challenge like Wentz, great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

How about Wentz?  I think that's the best comparison.  Both out of small schools, both were supposed to sit, but both got thrown in earlier thane expected, one because of injury to the placeholder and one because the placeholder was inept. 

 

We'll see what happens.  If instead of Peterman being terrible last week, he's have blown out his shoulder, we'd be in the same position.  So we'll see how the kid responds.  If he rises to the challenge like Wentz, great.

Wentz was far enough along in camp that the staff saw it fit to trade away Sam Bradford. It wasn't an injury, it was a decision by the FO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PeterDude said:

 

I stopped reading when I got to that part.

 

So you read 90% of the article and stopped towards the end because of that part? 

 

OK...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i know i'll feel better about this Bills team if the Ravens come close to doing to the Bengals tonight what they did to us last Sunday. on the other hand, if Cincinnati lights Baltimore up, i won't have much hope for our home opener.

These two teams always play each other close, it seems. It should be a good game. Both teams look solid so far.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

 

This is based on the very questionable premise that McCarron was any good.  He lost out to Peterman AND Allen for a good reason.

 

They wanted Bradford, they didn't get him - AJM was the best they could do and he really wasn't worth having.

I never said McCarron is any good.  But he's clearly better than Peterman (in a regular season game) and has spent time learning the playbook.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

 

So you read 90% of the article and stopped towards the end because of that part? 

 

OK...

 

Yes, felt duped at that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Wentz was far enough along in camp that the staff saw it fit to trade away Sam Bradford. It wasn't an injury, it was a decision by the FO.

Yep.  My bad. With Bradford I guess I just assumed it was injury.  Still somewhat similar, in that the article states if Allen had looked better against the Bengals odds are he starts last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×