SI.com: Why Peterman started Wk 1, Why Allen is starting now, and Why Tyrod was never coming back

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

Wait a minute.  These idiots were deciding which QB to start Week 1 based on preseason football games?

They're more clueless than I feared.

How would you like them to decide? Roll dice? Magic 8 Ball? Does preseason just not count? 

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Figured as much.

Thanks, forum police.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Means nothing.  There was no game-changing player available for that amount.  The eye has always been towards 2019, when they'll have $90M in cap room.

And they've shown that they are willing to pay for game-changing talent?  Only in dead cap space after moving their most talented players that they could get anything for.  Shady, Clay and Hughes are pretty much not even worth entertaining trades for unless they are just looking to unload them for pennies on the dollar. 

Look having Cordy Glenn's contract as expensive as it was, is better than having to roll the dice in FA and get into bidding wars and recruitment- you would have had two good tackles rather than one and provide some consistency and a known commodity (yeah he didn't play last year, but he is a proven above average Tackle).  Maybe you don't have the ammunition to get both Allen and Edmunds, but you do have protection for the marquee asset you looked to acquire, which was clearly always going to be a QB.  Assuring some stability on a shaky situation on the OL that was known at the time of the trade just seems like it could have been a smart way to give the young group of QBs better protection. 

Even with all of the money that they are going to have - the product being put on the field better improve or no one is going to be attracted to coming to Buffalo.  It's already going to be a hard sell with all of the inexperience at QB (Buffalo in general is a hard sell for some players regardless of the promise of the team) unless Allen shows some serious growth and good performances - or unless you are looking for mercenaries looking for the best contract, not necessarily concerned about the long term effect it may have on their careers.  Right now they are setting themselves up for overpaying a lot of FAs - so we transition from one cap crises to another burgeoning one if the FA signings don't pan out.  However, this one will be fully owned by the Process.  Hopefully, we are not going to be romanticizing about the Whaley years as at least having talent despite poor coaching, poor drafting and a trainwreck power structure in the organization because the Process doesn't pan out.   I'm terrified about the Process right now and it's not a game 1 reaction, it's everything that they did this offseason with the roster and the decision making process on the QB situation and the Offense they put around these guys.

Edited by Ayjent

3 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

My bad, the USA one just came out 57 minutes ago. Didn't realize it was the same thing. 

don't mind him   cuz he hates it when people do it to him and his half dozen redundant threads 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Haha (+1) 2

Drove up from Florida for game this weekend and was passing by Cleveland and listening to some local sports radio station and they were saying stuff like Tyrod "holds onto the ball too long",  "leaves plays on the field", and does "not throw with anticipation".  Hmm, does all of this sound slightly familiar?!!  One game into the season and they pretty much already have Tyrod's game summed up nicely.

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

Drove up from Florida for game this weekend and was passing by Cleveland and listening to some local sports radio station and they were saying stuff like Tyrod "holds onto the ball too long",  "leaves plays on the field", and does "not throw with anticipation".  Hmm, does all of this sound slightly familiar?!!  One game into the season and they pretty much already have Tyrod's game summed up nicely.

Well, considering that was his MO with the Bills the last 3 years...

26 minutes ago, ChasBB said:

It’s the OC’s fault!!!!!

:lol:

On 9/13/2018 at 9:55 PM, Ayjent said:

I’m not assuming he did I’m simply pointing out an example of someone that fits what the Bills needed.  I’m pretty sure “the process” liked McCarron more though.   A 5th round pick is barely addressing the OL. For every Kyle Williams, there are hundreds of guys that never have much of a career drafted that low. 

Don’t you measure growth to some degree by success?  RG3 had someone design an offense where he could flourish, and then that all changed and he was asked to be a different QB. He may have grown a lot in that process but it never lead to success for him or his teams, because his dual threat attribute was gone and he was asked to be something he simply isn’t a pure pocket passer. . Put a QB in a position to succeed and the growth will happen naturally. 

Well their top 2 choice went to the QBs for offense and defense.  Both seem to be well worth it.  Sorry they are thinking about the future as well as today.

13 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Finally read this, good piece.

It’s been obvious since before last season the plan was for a complete rebuild. Some people just forgot in the excitement of breaking the drought.  Those same people are the ones now in hysterics.

I don't agree with the "complete rebuild" theory.  And it was just one game.  We'll know more later on in the season.

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't agree with the "complete rebuild" theory.  And it was just one game.  We'll know more later on in the season.

I think they are trying to retool.  While still competing now.  I think they thought that they were set on the OL but Wood had a career ending injury and Richie lost his mind.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Finally read this, good piece.

It’s been obvious since before last season the plan was for a complete rebuild. Some people just forgot in the excitement of breaking the drought.  Those same people are the ones now in hysterics.

Agreed, to a point, but the question is if it's ever right to truly bottom out to 2-14/1-15. That's my concern, although I remain hopeful they can win 4-5 games.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed, to a point, but the question is if it's ever right to truly bottom out to 2-14/1-15. That's my concern, although I remain hopeful they can win 4-5 games.

I doubt anyone at OBD thinks they are worse than a 4-5 win team.  The defense is not as bad as they showed last week.

• Like (+1) 1