SI.com: Why Peterman started Wk 1, Why Allen is starting now, and Why Tyrod was never coming back

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Don't play Allen.....you'll RUIN him!!

I personally was an advocate to sit him for a while and let him learn.  But plans change.  I'm trying to imagine the conversation McD had with him yesterday.  Maybe along the lines of:

Josjh allen!  Josh Allen!

Look Josh.  You have to lead your troops.  When I was 12 years old Josh, I lost both my parents in the same month!  I had 12 brothers and sisters and I was the youngest, but they all looked up to me.  And I had to lead my troops..  You have to lead your troops, son.

Or something like that.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

I would like to hear honest answers from the folks here on how they would react if Allen started out the way Aikman did.  

Year GP Att Com Pct Yds TD Int Long QB Rating
1989 11 293 155 52.9 1,749 9 18 75 55.7
1990 15 399 226 56.6 2,579 11 18 61 66.6
1991 12 363 237 65.3 2,754 11 10 61 86.7

It took Aikman three years to get to where EJ Manuel started as a rookie.

Obviously we're in a different era where passing is easier, but people here will probably be screaming to draft another QB by half-way through the season.

Not only that but Aikman was the number one overall pick and considered ready to start right out of camp. Manning was the number one overall pick and considered ready to start right out of camp. Allen was considered raw at the draft, a bit of a reach at 7, and seemed no where near ready to start coming out of camp.   

The better comparison is Goff. Even though he was taken at one the Rams knew he needed time, so they had Case Keenum start those first nine games then put Goff in when they were out of it and the pressure was off. He sucked, predictably, but the consequences weren't as big at that point so no one was calling for his head. He got reps in a less stressful environment and was able to take that experience into year two when the Rams were able to put a much improved team around him. 

I thought his was our plan too, but McBeane would rather throw Allen to the wolves I guess. The national media is just dying to give this kid the bust label, and you know fans will turn on him if he doesn't look good before the end of the year. I can't recall a team putting their unproven rookie QB in this tough of a spot.

Edited by VW82

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I personally was an advocate to sit him for a while and let him learn.  But plans change.  I'm trying to imagine the conversation McD had with him yesterday.  Maybe along the lines of:

Josjh allen!  Josh Allen!

Look Josh.  You have to lead your troops.  When I was 12 years old Josh, I lost both my parents in the same month!  I had 12 brothers and sisters and I was the youngest, but they all looked up to me.  And I had to lead my troops..  You have to lead your troops, son.

Or something like that.

"Look at my pecs Josh.  LOOK AT THEM!!  These pecs will never lie to you, never turn on you, or let you down.  These pecs which fill up my always-on Bills gear long sleeved T shirt are all you need to believe in.....because they (now) believe in you."

• Haha (+1) 1

i know i'll feel better about this Bills team if the Ravens come close to doing to the Bengals tonight what they did to us last Sunday. on the other hand, if Cincinnati lights Baltimore up, i won't have much hope for our home opener.

Edited by Foxx

4 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Not only that but Aikman was the number one overall pick and considered ready to start right out of camp. Manning was the number one overall pick and considered ready to start right out of camp. Allen was considered raw at the draft, a bit of a reach at 7, and seemed no where near ready to start coming out of camp.   

The better comparison is Goff. Even though he was taken at one the Rams knew he needed time, so they had Case Keenum start those first nine games then put Goff in when they were out of it and the pressure was off. He sucked, predictably, but it didn't matter. He got reps in a less stressful environment and was able to take that experience into year two when the Rams were able to put a much improved team around him. 

I thought his was our plan too, but McBeane would rather throw Allen to the wolves I guess. The national media is just dying to give this kid the bust label, and you know fans will turn on him if he doesn't look good before the end of the year. I can't recall a team putting a kid in this tough of a spot.

How about Wentz?  I think that's the best comparison.  Both out of small schools, both were supposed to sit, but both got thrown in earlier thane expected, one because of injury to the placeholder and one because the placeholder was inept. 

We'll see what happens.  If instead of Peterman being terrible last week, he's have blown out his shoulder, we'd be in the same position.  So we'll see how the kid responds.  If he rises to the challenge like Wentz, great.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

How about Wentz?  I think that's the best comparison.  Both out of small schools, both were supposed to sit, but both got thrown in earlier thane expected, one because of injury to the placeholder and one because the placeholder was inept. 

We'll see what happens.  If instead of Peterman being terrible last week, he's have blown out his shoulder, we'd be in the same position.  So we'll see how the kid responds.  If he rises to the challenge like Wentz, great.

Wentz was far enough along in camp that the staff saw it fit to trade away Sam Bradford. It wasn't an injury, it was a decision by the FO.

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i know i'll feel better about this Bills team if the Ravens come close to doing to the Bengals tonight what they did to us last Sunday. on the other hand, if Cincinnati lights Baltimore up, i won't have much hope for our home opener.

These two teams always play each other close, it seems. It should be a good game. Both teams look solid so far.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

This is based on the very questionable premise that McCarron was any good.  He lost out to Peterman AND Allen for a good reason.

They wanted Bradford, they didn't get him - AJM was the best they could do and he really wasn't worth having.

I never said McCarron is any good.  But he's clearly better than Peterman (in a regular season game) and has spent time learning the playbook.  

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Wentz was far enough along in camp that the staff saw it fit to trade away Sam Bradford. It wasn't an injury, it was a decision by the FO.

Yep.  My bad. With Bradford I guess I just assumed it was injury.  Still somewhat similar, in that the article states if Allen had looked better against the Bengals odds are he starts last week.

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Early in the season still. Lots of settling out and weird results. I wouldn't read too much into it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Yep.  My bad. With Bradford I guess I just assumed it was injury.  Still somewhat similar, in that the article states if Allen had looked better against the Bengals odds are he starts last week.

Yeah, that's the part that I disagree with. That game was played without our starting LT, and the coaches went into the game planning to shuffle the interior OL. That's not a situation they would have expected positive results from. I do think the Bengals game was a test, but I think Allen came out of it impressive. His mechanics did not regress under pressure often, he kept his poise, he didn't complain, and he addressed the media by taking responsibility instead of making excuses and pointing fingers.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Between Wentz and Goff, Wentz was considered far more NFL ready at the draft and even coming out of camp. Eagles also had a SB level roster to surround Wentz and take some of the pressure off him. Everyone keeps comparing him to Allen because they both came from small schools but the comparison ends there. They're completely different QBs, with polar opposite situations (as far as help talent), and their learning curves coming into the league couldn't be anymore dissimilar. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yeah, that's the part that I disagree with. That game was played without our starting LT, and the coaches went into the game planning to shuffle the interior OL. That's not a situation they would have expected positive results from. I do think the Bengals game was a test, but I think Allen came out of it impressive. His mechanics did not regress under pressure often, he kept his poise, he didn't complain, and he addressed the media by taking responsibility instead of making excuses and pointing fingers.

I see your point.  I was screaming at my TV during that game.  The interior of the line was thrown around like a pee wee team playing a college team.  Ducasse weighs like 330?  And got thrown around like a rag doll.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, B Fan in LA said:

Allen gives the Bills their best shot to win now............

Really ?? we're going to win now ??

Did Albert bother to look at our schedule before writing this piece ?

So they didn't start Allen in Game 1 because he got annihilated against the Bengals,

but now he's going to start every game this year and not get hurt ?

And just for the heck of it...........suppose he does have to sit a few snaps............

who are they going to bring in to replace him ?

I don't want to think about that.