SI.com: Why Peterman started Wk 1, Why Allen is starting now, and Why Tyrod was never coming back

YoloinOhio

29 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

I stopped reading when I got to that part.

Lie^^

13 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I feel like Some of the stuff in that article clearly came at the direction of, or from a discussion with, Beane and/or McDermott. 

Albert Breer is saying what Beane and McDermott can’t say pubically

?

• Haha (+1) 4

16 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I feel like Some of the stuff in that article clearly came at the direction of, or from a discussion with, Beane and/or McDermott. 

Albert Breer is saying what Beane and McDermott can’t say pubically. 

I think there were quotes from McDermott in the article, so it seems he may have spoken to him not so secretly.  Unless those quotes came from some previous article or press conference that I missed.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

All of those angles were covered here at TBD for weeks.  Breer must be a lurker...

Yeah, but how did he sort through the 90% insanity to get to the 10% of sane stuff he pointed out in the article?

I've heard this echoed a lot this preseason on Sirius / NLFN

“Sitting him because your team is bad is a horrible excuse, and so is that they don’t want to hurt his confidence,” said one rival exec, who added that a young player being shaken by a bad week or two “would be a big red flag.” Another personnel director added, “[Allen] gives them their best shot at winning. … Was David Carr ruined because he was put in a bad situation? Or was he just not good enough? Tim Couch? Mark Sanchez?”

Let's Go Bills!  Let's Go Josh!!

6 minutes ago, Idandria said:

I love this from the article:

“Peterman pulled the rare Blutarsky (passer rating: zero-point-zero) in Baltimore. The performance served as an encore to his five-interception effort against the Chargers in his first career start last fall.”

was it ever an an encore performance to a historically bad debut. 

And I agree, Peterman needs to be known as Blutarsky going forward. 

He just needs to be un-known 

23 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Albert Breer is saying what Beane and McDermott can’t say pubically. 

I don't think the lead writer for mmqb takes direction on what he writes from any coaches.

3 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Yeah, but how did he sort through the 90% insanity to get to the 10% of sane stuff he pointed out in the article?

I've heard this echoed a lot this preseason on Sirius / NLFN

Let's Go Bills!  Let's Go Josh!!

True, but most it was common sense (although I take a risk with that conclusion):

Peterman failed (or failed to out himself again as not an NFL starter) because he was prevented from facing any defensive pressure in the preseason.

Allen is a top 10 draft pick and that is a significant reason why he will start (because 1st round QB picks typically start in their rookie year in the NFL).

The O-line lost some good players.  (can we at some point acknowledge that Glenn only played 6 games and the O-line didn't get worse the rest of the season?)

Tyrod had limitations and they could get a pick for him.

They parlayed picks into drafts of the guys they wanted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, jletha said:

Im of the opinion that they expected, or at least were quite comfortable, with Allen playing significant time this season. Otherwise you would never have traded McCarron and left Allen as the only back up. Aside from incompetence injury would have forced Allen on the field, they must have thought of that. TBD is positive that the staff wanted him to sit the entire season but I think they were OK with what they saw from Allen in preseason. Im excited for this Sunday.

Bingo.  I think the only mistake made by Beane was trading AJ.  AJ would have been a good Veteran QB to have on this team to mentor Josh.  However on the flip side,  Sean would have replaced Nate with AJ today for the 2nd game...So Josh wasn't going to get any playing time.     The Bills really need a 10+ year backup QB who will play a mentor role without giving the HC a chance to replace with the Veteran.

“Sitting him because your team is bad is a horrible excuse, and so is that they don’t want to hurt his confidence,” said one rival exec, who added that a young player being shaken by a bad week or two “would be a big red flag.” Another personnel director added, “[Allen] gives them their best shot at winning. … Was David Carr ruined because he was put in a bad situation? Or was he just not good enough? Tim Couch? Mark Sanchez?”

Not that these rival execs would have a vested interest in having the Bills ruin Allen?   No, that would never be true, would it?    LOL!

Of course rookie QBs can be ruined by improper development.   The NFL is littered with their carcasses.    This Bills team is set up incredibly wrong for a young QB:  (1) bad OL, (2) terrible WRs, (3) tough road schedule early in the season, (4) no veteran back up to learn from.     It's a bad recipe for success under any QB, let alone the "new face" of the franchise... 

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not that these rival execs would have a vested interest in having the Bills ruin Allen?   No, that would never be true, would it?    LOL!

Of course rookie QBs can be ruined by improper development.   The NFL is littered with their carcasses.    This Bills team is set up incredibly wrong for a young QB:  (1) bad OL, (2) terrible WRs, (3) tough road schedule early in the season, (4) no veteran back up to learn from.     It's a bad recipe for success under any QB, let alone the "new face" of the franchise... 

And some aren't.  HOFers like Aikman and P Manning.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Ayjent said:

Come on any article that lauds the Star signing should be looked at a tad skeptically.  It's not a bad article, but its certainly one of those pieces that they are trying to sell to demoralized fan base.  The obvious issues are skirted over (like failure to address the O line in the draft or FA in a meaningful way - na 5th round pick and a couple of below average OL FAs doesn't really scream investment in protecting your investment at QB).  Even if you buy into the Tyrod point of view in the article, the fact remains that they could have signed Bridgewater at the level of 6 mil/yr or kept McCarron as a substantial investment in having the luxury to sit Allen if he wasn't ready in their eyes.  Then the cap issues are kind of glossed over on how a team cap strapped created even more dead cap with a couple of their moves this offseason.

Of course!  Terry P probably slipped Breer $100G under the table and asked him to write an article to instill faith for the fans.

If SI wanted to sell an article and and get the most hits, they'd write an article ripping the Bills for all the moves.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

He nailed it perfectly. Beane worked the salary cap and did some wheeling-and-dealing with draft picks to set us up with a potential franchise QB and still pick up some quality players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

#TheProcess

This is finally an article that got it right.

51 minutes ago, Lurker said:

“Sitting him because your team is bad is a horrible excuse, and so is that they don’t want to hurt his confidence,” said one rival exec, who added that a young player being shaken by a bad week or two “would be a big red flag.” Another personnel director added, “[Allen] gives them their best shot at winning. … Was David Carr ruined because he was put in a bad situation? Or was he just not good enough? Tim Couch? Mark Sanchez?

Exactly what I said in another thread.

45 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And some aren't.  HOFers like Aikman and P Manning.  

I would like to hear honest answers from the folks here on how they would react if Allen started out the way Aikman did.  

Year GP Att Com Pct Yds TD Int Long QB Rating
1989 11 293 155 52.9 1,749 9 18 75 55.7
1990 15 399 226 56.6 2,579 11 18 61 66.6
1991 12 363 237 65.3 2,754 11 10 61 86.7

It took Aikman three years to get to where EJ Manuel started as a rookie.

Obviously we're in a different era where passing is easier, but people here will probably be screaming to draft another QB by half-way through the season.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

I don't think the lead writer for mmqb takes direction on what he writes from any coaches.

Never said he did. I was just saying that it sounds like he had a conversation with McDermott or Beane, where they explained their thinking on this season and some of the decisions they’ve made. 

Edited by BillsFan4