Peterman feel bad for him, but why he was ever considered a starting QB in Rookie or second season???

Billsfan1972

I think, in a nutshell, Peterman defines everything McD is looking for in a person, teammate, etc.  He just can't play when the "real" bullets are flying.  Last season McD acknowledged the mistake but I truly believe he thought Nate had grown and gained enough experience to be a "stabilizing" factor heading into the season, and his strong preference was for Allen to sit and learn for a year.  Last Sunday threw it back in his face that Peterman just isn't good enough.  It's not even that his arm strength was an issue -- it was that he was missing reads, his mechanics were poor, and he made lots of mental mistakes.  These are the things McD thought would not be issues.

We've seen the last time Peterman will "win" a starting job as a Buffalo Bill.  What remains to be seen is if he becomes a 10-year backup or if the Bills cut bait.  Again, McD absolutely loves the kid for many reasons, so I won't be surprised if he is retained as a backup.

1 minute ago, eball said:

I think, in a nutshell, Peterman defines everything McD is looking for in a person, teammate, etc.  He just can't play when the "real" bullets are flying.  Last season McD acknowledged the mistake but I truly believe he thought Nate had grown and gained enough experience to be a "stabilizing" factor heading into the season, and his strong preference was for Allen to sit and learn for a year.  Last Sunday threw it back in his face that Peterman just isn't good enough.  It's not even that his arm strength was an issue -- it was that he was missing reads, his mechanics were poor, and he made lots of mental mistakes.  These are the things McD thought would not be issues.

We've seen the last time Peterman will "win" a starting job as a Buffalo Bill.  What remains to be seen is if he becomes a 10-year backup or if the Bills cut bait.  Again, McD absolutely loves the kid for many reasons, so I won't be surprised if he is retained as a backup.

If he were a draft pick from a previous regime he'd already be on the waiver wire. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He was a 5th round pick and the Bills went all in on Allen trading up and he is the Bills future (or so we hope).  

They get another very iffy QB in AJ McCarron and jettison him him before the end of the pre-season.

Then they start Peterman week 1 and he put up a 0 QBR, no first downs and 5 net yards (8 on the last play of the half). 

Pretty obvious McDermott had some kind of hard on for him as we saw last year and tried to clear the path for him this year and it failed all in one half of football.

If Peterman has 4 years experience on the roster and a high pick, with a few starts and some play, sure maybe it made some sense, but one just has to wonder what the thought process was.  

As bad as Peterman was, I also think a combination of this Sunday being the home opener, the opponent being Los Angeles and visions of Peterman's last game vs. them and Darnold's play on Monday night was the last nail in the coffin.   

Now just hope that Allen is at least somewhat competent (regardless he is the future) and is not injured and that the Bills sign another QB.

To answer your question in your title, it's simple.  Peterman looked great in both preseasons, and to be honest, Tyrod Taylor was not very good at pushing the ball don field.  I don't think the guy had more than 250 yards passing last year, and if he did, it wasn't often enough.  This year, Peterman looked very capable of running the offense after a strong preseason showing, easily outperforming everyone else.  I don't blame McDermott for that, Peterman simply gets overwhelmed when the real game speed and defensive schemes are in front of him.

Think of it this way, how good were you at your job on your second day?  Game day speed is different than practice.  Dumping on a QB with less than 2 full games experience seems out of line in my book.  That's not a vote of confidence that he'll be any good, nor is it an indictment that he'll bomb out of the league.  It's simply the bare bones truth.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

And I'm probably wrong but, wasn't the perception from some that he made good early reads and was pretty accurate? The thing that done him in is arm strength. Even if he sees the play correctly he can't get the ball to the spot fast enough. 

He demonstrates none of these three attributes when the games really count.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Peterman is almost as much of a rookie as Allen is.   I wish people, especially the media, would get off his back. 

Looking back at this mess, Coach McD put him in a bad situation twice, with last years decision being an extremely dubious one indeed.

The only benefit from all of this is now we all know he is not an NFL QB ... but Peterman really paid the price for these bad decisions.   

Paid the price??  He a low drafted QB given the opportunity early in his career to step into a staring role on an NFL team.  That's what he's there for!  It rarely happens under ideal circumstances.  The history of the NFL is filled with low drafted or undrafted QBs thrown into the starting role.   Many have done well.  Others haven't.

Given what we have all seen, I really don't understand how this kid has "paid the price".  He's not a good QB.   It was him or the rookie.  Now we know they will have to roll with the rookie. 

It worked out just as it should have for Peterman.  He will get paid the same amount to go back to the bench.  He's still living the dream.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Peterman got to start because he's a really nice guy who doesn't talk back to coaches.

Lol. 

I think in all seriousness , Peterman is your classic QB that will look good and efficient in practice vand scrimmages , but when the real bullets fly , it seems the stage is clearly to big for him. No flow, no consistentcy, the whole O looks like it didn't believe in him. 

I figure the coaches saw enough in practice to have confidence that he'd be serviceable at least , but learned the hard way that he cannot be trusted to run an offense at this level in a real game. He clearly needs more time to develop.

On the bright side, it's a good thing he was so bad, we now get to see Allen sooner than anticipated , clearly Allen has superior talent and looks like the stage isn't too big for him, will be interesting to see how he performs Sunday, if he's the real deal , we are set up lovely for the next decade +.

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

Peterman is almost as much of a rookie as Allen is.   I wish people, especially the media, would get off his back. 

Looking back at this mess, Coach McD put him in a bad situation twice, with last years decision being an extremely dubious one indeed.

The only benefit from all of this is now we all know he is not an NFL QB ... but Peterman really paid the price for these bad decisions.   

I agree.  Peterman really doesn't have an NFL arm, so his ceiling is probably, at best, a career backup.   He should have been on the practice squad last season, and probably this season, too.  I'm still convinced that the Bills should have just kept Taylor and let Allen develop before they put him in on the front line.

1 hour ago, gjv001 said:

As much as I like McDermott as our head coach, he has crushed Petermans NFL career. Perterman may never have had the talent to be a starting QB. But I felt he had the ability to be a good back up. Playing Peterman in San Diego last year, way before he was ready to play, resulted in Peterman obtaining a negative stigma for interceptions. His poor performance in Baltimore may have been Peterman's pink slip out of the NFL.

You're joking?

McD's inane belief in Peterman is the only reason Peterman even has an NFL career. 

He blows. 

Edited by OJ Tom
  • Like (+1) 2

One of Peterman's most ardent supporters knows it's time to cut bait. It's about time Gabriel admitted what has been rather clear for quite some time. I wonder what took him so long. 

Gabriel: What Do The Bills Do Now? | Buffalo Sports Page

First, as many of you know I have been a backer of quarterback Nathan Peterman since the day the Bills drafted him. I looked at every game he played during his two seasons at Pitt as well as the Senior Bowl practices and I felt that he was the 2017 Draft’s version of Kirk Cousins. Even after his disastrous first start at the Chargers, I still felt that he had the talent to become a winning quarterback in the NFL. After viewing Sunday’s game, I have to say I was wrong. Peterman does not have starting NFL talent and he might not even be a solid backup.

• Like (+1) 1

They somehow take too much stock in preseason games and failed to get a veteran QB on the roster for the regular season to guide Allen.

The JETS got a veteran QB... mentoring up Darnold... you know, the sucky, terrible, joke Jets?

NO more... now WE are the joke and it makes me angry!!!! You all should be too.

12 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

They somehow take too much stock in preseason games and failed to get a veteran QB on the roster for the regular season to guide Allen.

The JETS got a veteran QB... mentoring up Darnold... you know, the sucky, terrible, joke Jets?

NO more... now WE are the joke and it makes me angry!!!! You all should be too.

I felt Teddy Bridgewater would have been an excellent vet for Allen to learn from. The Jets seems to have out strategized the Bills this off season while McBeane was giving away valuable  draft picks. I think McBeane may have lost the hunger to win now since going to the playoffs last year.

18 minutes ago, VADC Bills said:

I felt Teddy Bridgewater would have been an excellent vet for Allen to learn from. The Jets seems to have out strategized the Bills this off season while McBeane was giving away valuable  draft picks. I think McBeane may have lost the hunger to win now since going to the playoffs last year.

Thats just not true.

implementing a plan to be good for years does not diminish ones desire to win now. What a ridiculous statement 

30 minutes ago, VADC Bills said:

If you buy into the theory that this is the true rebuild year, then it makes sense why Beane didn't go for band-aid fixes.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Paid the price??  He a low drafted QB given the opportunity early in his career to step into a staring role on an NFL team.  That's what he's there for!  It rarely happens under ideal circumstances.  The history of the NFL is filled with low drafted or undrafted QBs thrown into the starting role.   Many have done well.  Others haven't.

Given what we have all seen, I really don't understand how this kid has "paid the price".  He's not a good QB.   It was him or the rookie.  Now we know they will have to roll with the rookie. 

It worked out just as it should have for Peterman.  He will get paid the same amount to go back to the bench.  He's still living the dream.

Yes, paid the price, but I should clarify by saying he is "paying the price".     He will most likely be out of football after this season.  He was rushed,  he started two games that he never really deserved to start. 

Could he have ever been a starter in the NFL?    Probably not, we all see it.

Could he have ever been a decent back up or journeyman?   Maybe for awhile, but I doubt it after this season.  If his career ends then paid the price for McD rushing him. 

You can take a harsher stance and say he got his big break and he blew it, which he did.  Yes, some people never get a chance, I get that. IMO he was not handled right and Allen is on the some path of not being handled right.  Many QBs get to hang around for years and years and some actually blossom later in their careers.  Kurt Warner, Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett and Lenny Dawson come to mind in this category.   They all hung around for a few years before they could see the game well enough to play at a high level. 

7 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Yes, paid the price, but I should clarify by saying he is "paying the price".     He will most likely be out of football after this season.  He was rushed,  he started two games that he never really deserved to start. 

Could he have ever been a starter in the NFL?    Probably not, we all see it.

Could he have ever been a decent back up or journeyman?   Maybe for awhile, but I doubt it after this season.  If his career ends then paid the price for McD rushing him. 

You can take a harsher stance and say he got his big break and he blew it, which he did.  Yes, some people never get a chance, I get that. IMO he was not handled right and Allen is on the some path of not being handled right.  Many QBs get to hang around for years and years and some actually blossom later in their careers.  Kurt Warner, Rich Gannon, Jim Plunkett and Lenny Dawson come to mind in this category.   They all hung around for a few years before they could see the game well enough to play at a high level. 

If he's a decent backup, he will stay in the league.  If he's not, he won't--and it won't be because he was "rushed"--it's because he is alone in NFL history as having 2 of the worst starts for a QB ever. 

If Allen was the starter and was injured preseason and they put NP in the result would have been the same.  He's the backup QB who has been on the team for 2 offseasons, 2 preseasons and a full season.  That's a decent amount of time (more than any rookie) to observe, to run plays, to see how it's done while someone else is doing it.

Coach points at the backup QB and says "you're up", he just goes in and plays his best.  NP's best isn't good----and it is unlikely to get significantly better with what, another half season?  Full Season?  5 more years on the bench?

2 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

You're joking?

McD's inane belief in Peterman is the only reason Peterman even has an NFL career. 

He blows. 

Peterman had a high enough rating coming out of Pittsburg that warranted a reasonable probability he would be drafted. So to say it was McD insane belief he ever had an NFL career is inaccurate.

1 hour ago, OJ Tom said:

I have read a lot of ridiculous crap on this board through the years, but these Peterman threads are actually disturbing. 

Maybe he has some charismatic hold over some people, like it appears he has on McD. He's like Rasputin!

Is saying that Peterman is McD's Rasputin one of the ridiculous crap posts you were referring to?