Reason for some optimism. Receivers open.

billsintaiwan

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

That's kind of what happens when you have a QB that decides where he is going with the ball presnap. 

Exactly!!! He doesn't know how to read a defense so he locks onto his first option in his progressions.

What's not really discussed in the BR analysis is that KB is usually the No. 1 option, and the results were in line with his awful play.  Wondering if Daboll puts in a plan where Kerley or Zay will be the first reads on Sunday?

Just puked eating crow feet. I've been very critical of the line, but most of this is on Peterman. He should not see an NFL field again. We need to bring a vet in asap. The line has it's problems but Peterman is not TT with his feet to mask it with a scramble after not being able to make reads and find secondary options.

This is Josh's team now and I think he will fare much better.  I can see KB's frustration. I hope Allen lights a fire under his ass and we get some competency on O this week. That alone should pick up the defense.

• Like (+1) 2

Play 5 gives a taste of what can happen if Foster develops - the dude is smooth and fast - will be interesting to see if he becomes more of a target with Allen.

Play 6 Croom just completely blows by the coverage - our 2nd string TE is faster than our #1 WR  <_<

• Like (+1) 1

They are going to need to RPO the hell out of the Chargers. That will freeze the LBs, albeit for a second or so, and force their Dline to be reactive. If they freeze the front 7 for even half a step, then Allen can throw over the middle with high percentage passes. 

And we should also pray. 

7 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Play 5 gives a taste of what can happen if Foster develops - the dude is smooth and fast - will be interesting to see if he becomes more of a target with Allen.

Play 6 Croom just completely blows by the coverage - our 2nd string TE is faster than our #1 WR  <_<

Foster will become more of a target if he catches the balls that come to him.

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Wowsers. I was not expecting to see some of them THAT wide open. Kerley didn't have anyone within 50 yards of him on that last one of his. He was waving his arms in the air in frustration.

There were multiple plays where Peterman threw to the guy who was covered the best instead of the two or three other options who were open. For instance, on that deep ball to the end zone to Benjamim, Croom was WIDE open on the same side of the field.

I don't see how anyone can watch these plays and not have hope for Allen to actually see these guys. Hopefully the film review will give him some perspective and confidence to throw to these guys.

So the question is, did Peterman not make the throws because he was too busy looking at the lineman fearing any second he was about to get hit.

2 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

This makes me even more frustrated that we traded McCarron. Peterman is the ultimate fools gold practice hero. It shocks me that he was able to fool McD again. 

Here's to hoping that JA is ready!

I don't know McCarron showed even less than Peterman and one of the knocks on him was holding onto the ball too long. He was kind of like TT without the legs.

Seeing this makes sense of KB's body language as the game went on. I mean, it's not a good look on his part but it's easy to see why he was frustrated. I'm sure some of the other receivers were as well, just didn't show it as openly.

When Allen went into the game, the CBS sideline reporter stated that the Bills sideline seemed more animated and energetic than they had for most of the game. I get the feeling that most of the team sees what Allen can do and would've rather had him named the starter from the jump. 

I think Peterman missed a lot of these open targets because he likely dropped his eyes on every pass play to see where the rush was coming from. So far, it appears as though Allen is able to keep his eyes downfield and not get caught looking at the rush. It's gonna happen sometimes, he's a rookie, he's learning, but from what I've seen, it seems like Allen is looking to push it down the field as often as possible. 

Hopefully the gameplan will be tailored to things Allen does well. I'd be preparing the receivers for a lot of routes that require the ol' back shoulder throw because Allen excels at that and they're hard to defend. RPO's would be nice, roll outs, get him moving around to see the field better, plus it keeps the defense guessing. The main thing that would help him the most is if they got the run game going. Not sure what in the crap the plan was vs. Baltimore but 7 carries for McCoy? And I felt like he wasn't on the field as much as he should be.

• Like (+1) 1

Here's my takeaways:

- Playing QB in the NFL is really hard.  You have to be able to process what the defense is going to do even BEFORE the snap, and then have about 1.5 seconds to process what you need to after the snap..   This is why players like Brady, Brees, Peyton, etc. are few and far between. 

- Peterman sucks.  He does good in non-pressure practice and pre-season situations.  But a real game is way over his head.

- The receivers I'm sure got frustrated because they knew their QB couldn't see the field.  most continued to hustle the entire game regardless.

- Benjamin is a lazy, pouty, SOB.  Once he realized Peterman was over his head in this game, he gave up.. and gave no effort. 

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Here's my takeaways:

- Playing QB in the NFL is really hard.  You have to be able to process what the defense is going to do even BEFORE the snap, and then have about 1.5 seconds to process what you need to after the snap..   This is why players like Brady, Brees, Peyton, etc. are few and far between. 

- Peterman sucks.  He does good in non-pressure practice and pre-season situations.  But a real game is way over his head.

- The receivers I'm sure got frustrated because they knew their QB couldn't see the field.  most continued to hustle the entire game regardless.

- Benjamin is a lazy, pouty, SOB.  Once he realized Peterman was over his head in this game, he gave up.. and gave no effort. 

Yep. And as mentioned, Peterman probably made 90% of his decisions pre-snap, so that's why he seems faster in releasing the ball... but one has to read the field too for opportunities or lack of! Allen does seem to survey the field, hence he takes more sacks but as he gains experience he should do his reads faster and faster. His rocket arm makes short throws money as he zips'em in there when he sees them.

As for Croom being wide open, recall O'Leary was often too. You don't have to be fast, just faster than the ones covering you... or hopefully no one covers you such as Croom in this case. SCHEMES. Benjamin, marked as #1 WR, will most likely never be that opened and he ain't outrunning fast CBs. But he is supposed to be a ball hawk, back shoulder throws, etc. 

Edit: On rewatching the GIF some more I have to defend Nate somehow. On that Croom play, he has thrown the ball just as KB and Croom go by the defenders. Hard to guess the two guys near Croom would let him pass by like that! Though, if with the SCHEMES Croom had never gone deep before to lull these guys to sleep, then yeah, it was the better choice. But NP had thrown the ball before he got wide open. Just don't look at the end but when the pass is thrown. QB is a tough job! BTW no matter the QB, chemistry develops over time with the receivers and it's exactly these kinds of plays that can go from duds to touchdowns.

Edited by Jerome007