Just got back from seeing Ozzy Osbourne in Camden NJ

The Poojer

Went with my middle son and wasn't really excited about going.  Not really a big fan of the music.  Sure he's iconic but it's just not my taste.  

What an incredibly enjoyable show it turned out to be.   Ozzy was energetic, his voice sounded pretty darned good.  His band was really top notch (Rick Wakeman's kid on keyboards. Played for 90 minutes and aside from the "Changes" song he played everything I knew.

I'm really glad I went and I'm upset I went in with such a prejudiced attitude.

Also worth noting, hit Donkeys Place in Camden for what might be the best cheese steak in the area that made cheese steaks famous.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Went with my middle son and wasn't really excited about going.  Not really a big fan of the music.  Sure he's iconic but it's just not my taste.  

What an incredibly enjoyable show it turned out to be.   Ozzy was energetic, his voice sounded pretty darned good.  His band was really top notch (Rick Wakeman's kid on keyboards. Played for 90 minutes and aside from the "Changes" song he played everything I knew.

Also worth noting, hit Donkeys Place in Camden for what might be the best cheese steak in the area that made cheese steaks famous.

I'm glad you got to see him with Zakk Wylde, who recently rejoined the band after a nine year hiatus.  Wylde is a ridiculous guitar player and I was lucky enough to see him twice with Ozzy (86 and 92).  Happy you had a great time!!

48 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm glad you got to see him with Zakk Wylde, who recently rejoined the band after a nine year hiatus.  Wylde is a ridiculous guitar player and I was lucky enough to see him twice with Ozzy (86 and 92).  Happy you had a great time!!

Darien Lake in '86?

7 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Changes was a ballad by Black Sabbath in their early years.

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

Darien Lake in '86?

Changes was a ballad by Black Sabbath in their early years.

I didn't realize it was an early Sabbath song, I always thought it was solo Ozzy.  They actually played a recorded version of it done by a female singer as we exited.  

Zakk Wylde was definitely a monster up there, and in the audience for a 20 minute solo.

Edited by The Poojer

7 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Ozzy has always been a good show. Glad you enjoyed it.

I caught this show in Syracuse over labor day weekend.

Ozzy doesn't have the endurance he used to which is no surprise seeing he is pushing 70 but I thought he was still able to hit most of the notes reasonably well. Zakk is always awesome.

13 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

I didn't realize it was an early Sabbath song, I always thought it was solo Ozzy.  They actually played a recorded version of it done by a female singer as we exited.  

Zakk Wylde was definitely a monster up there, and in the audience for a 20 minute solo.

That version they played at the end of the show was actually with Kelly Osborne. They recorded that back during their MTV reality show days IIRC.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, joesixpack said:

If you've ever read anything about Ozzy's lifestyle, it's a miracle he's still alive.

Ha, good point.

Maybe some day they can put together a defying the odds super group with him and Keith Richards leading the way.

Just now, Metal Man said:

Ha, good point.

Maybe some day they can put together a defying the odds super group with him and Keith Richards leading the way.

I think those two make a really good point for the power of good genetics. Two of my grandparents were teetotalers, and didn't even curse yet died younger than them.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

I think those two make a really good point for the power of good genetics. Two of my grandparents were teetotalers, and didn't even curse yet died younger than them.

Last time I saw Ozzy was the Ultimate Sin tour. If you'd have told me he'd still be on tour (let alone alive) 30+ years later I'd have said you need a check up from the neck up.

One cool thing about Ozzy back then was the up and coming guitarists he brought in.

Many years ago I worked in a restaurant on the ground floor of an office building.  Upstairs was Jet Records Ozzy's label at the time (1985).  My wife walked in the kitchen one day and I asked "what are you doing here?"  Well she worked for a law firm that represented Jet.  She said "guess what I have in the trunk of my car? The demo tapes for the Tribute album!"   Pretty cool! 

• Like (+1) 1