Sean Mcvay is a savant

aristocrat

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

They also went out and signed Whitworth, Cinci's long time LT, in FA.  IOW, the Rams gave Goff better protection and better targets.  The improved OL enabled Gurley to run wild.   This year they added more talent on both sides of the ball, which is key, because even great offensive teams can't depend on putting up 30 or 40 points a game.

In today's NFL, between the salary cap and high player salaries, successful HCs coaches need to be exactly that because teams that want to win consistently can't afford to get rid of a talented DT and incurr a $13+ million dead cap hit just because he and the HC or his DC don't see eye to eye.

Make a good hire in the first place works for me.   That's where there needs to be some kind of "process".  The Bills have never really done that, and the Pegulas aren't any better than Wilson in that regard.

My guess is that Terry Pegula doesn't hire key personnel for his enterprises simply on a whim like he did Rex Ryan.  I also doubt he turns over full control of any of his enterprises/projects to people who've never held similar jobs before like he did with McDermott and Beane.

The Rams aren't built for long-term success, they're in "win now" mode. Yeah, they went out and grabbed a bunch of solid free agents but they're not gonna be able to pay everyone.

And you're completely entitled to your opinion but the fact remains that McDermott and Beane are both experienced and well-respected individuals in the NFL. And two of their biggest fans are Terry and Kim. They tried to keep things in place in an attempt to "win now" but what was happening through the Marrone/Rex/Whaley era wasn't sustainable. It ended the drought but they knew sooner or later that they were going to have to undergo a full rebuild. Not a "soft reset" or a "recharge" or whatever they wanted to call it over the last few years because they felt like that had a roster that was "close" but a complete tear-down and restart. 

And there most definitely was a process in hiring McDermott. Sure, they had their eye on him from the start but they ran through several other interviews and I'm sure had countless discussions on which direction they wanted to go. I'm sure some people will always feel like they didn't interview enough candidates but when the end of the season coach craziness begins, teams can't afford to take too much time as there are usually 6-8 other teams interested in some of the same coaches they were interested in.

McDermott came in and from all reports, really nailed the interview. They then went out and did their due diligence in asking references about him, talking with people who know him or have worked with him, etc. And they do have a vision for this team, which they're still executing. As opposed to the last 4, 5, 6 years where we kept being told "they're close, if they can just fix this spot and that spot, it's playoff time!" But that didn't work. Now they're tearing things down, they've drafted players that they expect to be their core/foundation for years to come and all of it  just takes time. I mean, like 'em or not, they're doing what they've said they're gonna do since day one.

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

don't let them get to you

probably 6 of them taking up 95% of the FIRE HIM NOW!!  posts

just laugh, this regime has a few years unless something dire happens

Haha, appreciate the response. I wouldn't say they're getting to me, I'd say it's just really kinda mind-boggling that after years of those types of fans crying for a full-on house cleaning and starting over finally get what they've been asking for but they can't exercise any patience or understanding that the whole process is gonna take longer than one off-season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

You would be surprised. Obviously if he could recall an entire game that would be unbelievable, but these were key plays in games he coached.

I'll bet that most of us golfers can play a round & a few days later, remember every shot . I can & I usually have a lot of shots & my memory stinks as I keep getting closer to 100 years old.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Seems to be working just fine for the Vikings. I’d say offensive minds can be just as bad as defensive HCs.

You mean the team that just dumped the qb who got them to playoffs to pay a new qb $90 million guaranteed?

and obviously, there’s exceptions.  But serious question: what young QBs has Zimmer developed?

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You mean the team that just dumped the qb who got them to playoffs to pay a new qb $90 million guaranteed?

Yeah? What does that have to do with anything?

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

and obviously, there’s exceptions.  But serious question: what young QBs has Zimmer developed?

He’s really only has 1 shot at trying to develop a QB and his knee exploded. Regardless, the Vikings are still one of the best teams in the league. I’d be okay with that even though the HC hasn’t developed a young QB.