Sean Mcvay is a savant

aristocrat

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Jauron was an incompetent game day coach, and McDermott is infinitely better.  However, Jauron was not nearly as ruthless as McDermott has been in getting rid of players to bring in "his guys".   It wasn't until 2009 that Jauron succeeded in gutting the team.  It's barely been a year and a half since McDermott was hired, and the team is as talentless, perhaps even more so, than Jauron's 2009 roster.   I'd say that makes McDermott worse than Jauron.

Please.  The Bills made the playoffs under McD and didn't under 4 years of Jauron.  He never even got to .500.

• Like (+1) 1

He seems like a solid Coach.  I don't think having a memory of every play in existence helps you call a game, coach a team, or make your defense better.  It might help you remember certain tendencies, or help with game planning.  At the end of the day the players play though, and you can't really control the outcome that much.

McDermotts philosophy is to try to be a leader of men.  To get the most out of every player.  I hope that daboll can help with some of the game planning on offense, and putting the offense into situations where they can be successful.

15 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

It's impressive but not really surprising. This is all they study for basically 20 hours a day. 

Seriously?

Every play.

He's every called.

I bet no other coach can do that.

He has a very high end eidetic memory.

It is only present in between 2%-15% of children, and almost never in adults.

He is most likely in the autism spectrum somewhere, which is where it is most common.

Stop acting like this is not impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Seriously?

Every play.

He's every called.

He is most likely in the autism spectrum somewhere, which is where it is most common.

Good thing he doesn't play then?  Footballs a match up game - you can know exactly what they are doing but the players can still win their individual matchups.... go against a tendency... etc. 

Edited by dneveu

15 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Seriously?

Every play.

He's every called.

it can be done, the top chess players know every position and move of their games

it's not healthy unless it is honestly a part of your life pursuit

and a football coach isn"t even 2 points of value on the 100 point scale of the top minds on the planet

9 minutes ago, westside said:

To be honest, I don't remember.  Knowingthe bills, they probably didn't 

must have, don't they have to demonstrate diversity with a handful of coaches interviewed?

or was that just to hammer the Detroit Lions with?

Edited by row_33

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

The people that consistently try to run every single coach out of town within one or two seasons... what's your alternative? Firing and hiring new regimes every season is 100% a surefire way to ensure your team will never be a contender. And I'd bet that if your dream coach was hired and he went out and lost a game you'd be screaming for his dismissal as well. It's constant no-win situations with some of you. 

don't let them get to you

probably 6 of them taking up 95% of the FIRE HIM NOW!!  posts

just laugh, this regime has a few years unless something dire happens

Just now, row_33 said:

don't let them get to you

probably 6 of them taking up 95% of the FIRE HIM NOW!!  posts

just laugh, this regime has a few years unless something dire happens

Trying to build from the ground up is going to take some time.  They got the QB, they got the MLB, the RCB, even a pair of solid safeties for the next few years.  They need to fix the trenches next i think.

10 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Trying to build from the ground up is going to take some time.  They got the QB, they got the MLB, the RCB, even a pair of solid safeties for the next few years.  They need to fix the trenches next i think.

This guy seems fine to me, I'm jaded and cynical but he's fine with me, he gets 3-5 unless he acts in a way that requires immediate dismissal

Rex I had no time for at all and that was proven right, but we all knew it anyway to begin with...

Just now, row_33 said:

This guy seems fine to me, I'm jaded and cynical but he's fine with me, he gets 3-5 unless he acts in a way that requires immediate dismissal

Rex I had no time for at all and that was proven right, but we all knew it anyway to begin with...

Rex was a defense guy who made his defense worse.  He seemed to over-coach and over-complicate things.  Like he wanted to be McVay and just be the smartest guy out there (hint-he wasnt).

Mcdermott may be too "matchup driven" but its not necessarily a wrong philosophy.  Battle on every snap, every snaps a new battle, you win by winning your 1x1s.

14 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Rex was a defense guy who made his defense worse.  He seemed to over-coach and over-complicate things.  Like he wanted to be McVay and just be the smartest guy out there (hint-he wasnt).

Mcdermott may be too "matchup driven" but its not necessarily a wrong philosophy.  Battle on every snap, every snaps a new battle, you win by winning your 1x1s.

I had had enough of Rex's gimmick while he was with the Jets, and I didn't think inking a contract with the Bills made him any better.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, aristocrat said:

I distinctly remember watching him call call a drive Monday night with a ton of Gurley off tackle, and the next series used play action with very similar motion that resulted in a TD. He used an entire drive to set up his passing game. Dude is a genius.

Definitely helps having Gurley and that defense to rely on, and Goff continuing to improve on the intermediate routes.