Inside the Film Room with McDermott and Tasker

26CornerBlitz

4 hours ago, Rew said:

Allen's arm was in motion when the receiver's back was still to him with no commitment inside or out.  The throw was spot on for an outside break.  There was no accuracy problem on this throw, it was a miscommunication.   It is impossible for us to know if Allen read it wrong or if DiMarco did.  It still could be Josh's mistake, but it certainly isn't due to accuracy.  Personally, I would think the outside break was correct given the coverage. 

To my understanding, there isn't an in-or-out break on a wheel route.  The receiver should initially run a curve (like a wheel), then run up the sideline.

I think DiMarco didn't quite run the route Allen was expecting, but it wasn't a break miscommunication, I think he cut the corner on the curve of his wheel  so he wasn't as close to the sideline as expected, then because of that started looking back for the ball too soon (so he slowed).  But that's just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Look at the way Zay runs the wheel route here.  No where near the sidelines the same as DiMarco. 

That's not quite correct, CB.  If you look in the QB Film Room at 2:25, you'll see that DiMarco is on the numbers when he starts turning to look back, and turns upfield when he's about 1/3 of the way toward the sideline from the numbers.  The ball shows up more like 2/3 of the way to the sideline and Dimarco has to adjust for it.

If you look at the way Zay runs that wheel route, he makes a nice round curve.  He is about 2/3 of the way to the sideline when he turns to look for the ball (nice route) and has to adjust inward toward the numbers to make the grab.  Here's a shot from the all-22, compare where he is when he turns and looks with QBFR at 2:25 where DiMarco is on the numbers.

image.thumb.png.e21fade5e0b6356890fbc2f85b6726f1.png

The throw from Allen IS an inaccurate throw and Zay has to make a big adjustment for it, good job on Zay.  If you look at Allen's foot and hip position when he throws (it's hard to see on Cover1's gif, easier on the All-22), you can tell that the throw is going to be inaccurate because he rolled out of the pocket and re-set poorly - his foot is not aligned with the direction he's throwing - it's pointed too much downfield, his hips aren't aligned with it, and he finishes in a goofy body position.

I'm not the world's tape expert, and again, I can't always see the technique error Palmer has called out, but these differences were fairly clear to pick up, I thought.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's not quite correct, CB.  If you look in the QB Film Room at 2:25, you'll see that DiMarco is on the numbers when he starts turning to look back, and turns upfield when he's about 1/3 of the way toward the sideline from the numbers.  The ball shows up more like 2/3 of the way to the sideline and Dimarco has to adjust for it.

If you look at the way Zay runs that wheel route, he makes a nice round curve.  He is about 2/3 of the way to the sideline when he turns to look for the ball (nice route) and has to adjust inward toward the numbers to make the grab.  Here's a shot from the all-22, compare where he is when he turns and looks with QBFR at 2:25 where DiMarco is on the numbers.

image.thumb.png.e21fade5e0b6356890fbc2f85b6726f1.png

The throw from Allen IS an inaccurate throw and Zay has to make a big adjustment for it, good job on Zay.  If you look at Allen's foot and hip position when he throws (it's hard to see on Cover1's gif, easier on the All-22), you can tell that the throw is going to be inaccurate because he rolled out of the pocket and re-set poorly - his foot is not aligned with the direction he's throwing - it's pointed too much downfield, his hips aren't aligned with it, and he finishes in a goofy body position.

I'm not the world's tape expert, and again, I can't always see the technique error Palmer has called out, but these differences were fairly clear to pick up, I thought.

I see a missed throw even more so from the 2nd view behind Allen. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Somewhat.  Darnold and Mayfield are supposed to be very accurate.

To me the point is that sometimes we (and the national media) judge Bills QB by a different standard.

Brady has been zip-code accurate at times in his first 2 games this year.  No one is calling him out "wow, for TB, that pass was way off".  I'm sure it's partly rust, and partly a new receiving stable that's not running the routes exactly as he demands, and by week 8 they'll be crisp and precise.

Both Keenum and Foles are zip code accurate QB at times.  They played each other for the NFC championship last year.   Diggs and Thielen make amazing adjustments. 

Last year we wanted a QB who would TAKE SHOTS.  THROW THE DAMN BALL.  Now we have a qb who will stand in and sling it, roll out and sling it, and we're beating on him because his professional WR or FB/RB targets had to make adjustments on the ball - balls they caught, or could have caught.  Does Allen make inaccurate throws sometimes, yes.  Are they throws that WR and TE and RB around the league adjust to and haul in routinely?  Yes.  Does it look like route running mistakes at times?  Also yes.

11 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I miss Billy Brooks. 

I miss Andre Reed.

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I see a missed throw even more so from the 2nd view behind Allen. 

CB, you do realize both these guys refer to the route as a "vertical" whereas our own coach, McDermott, ack's it as a "wheel concept".

That really ought to tell you something, eh?

Whether a QB feet etc are right or wrong depends upon where the analyst thinks he's supposed to be throwing, so yes, they're wrong for throwing to where DiMarco was, but not to where I think DiMarco was supposed to be. 

But whateves.  I notice you didn't acknowledge the differences between DiMarco's and Zay's wheel routes that could be clearly seen in the .gif I posted and timestamp I called out, so I don't think actual discussion and acknowledging another's points is your thing here.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To me the point is that sometimes we (and the national media) judge Bills QB by a different standard.

Brady has been zip-code accurate at times in his first 2 games this year.  No one is calling him out "wow, for TB, that pass was way off".  I'm sure it's partly rust, and partly a new receiving stable that's not running the routes exactly as he demands, and by week 8 they'll be crisp and precise.

Both Keenum and Foles are zip code accurate QB at times.  They played each other for the NFC championship last year.   Diggs and Thielen make amazing adjustments. 

Last year we wanted a QB who would TAKE SHOTS.  THROW THE DAMN BALL.  Now we have a qb who will stand in and sling it, roll out and sling it, and we're beating on him because his professional WR or FB/RB targets had to make adjustments on the ball - balls they caught, or could have caught.  Does Allen make inaccurate throws sometimes, yes.  Are they throws that WR and TE and RB around the league adjust to and haul in routinely?  Yes.  Does it look like route running mistakes at times?  Also yes.

I miss Andre Reed.

CB, you do realize both these guys refer to the route as a "vertical" whereas our own coach, McDermott, ack's it as a "wheel concept".

That really ought to tell you something, eh?

To me it's semantics, because wheel routes are conceptually designed to be vertical.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Both Keenum and Foles are zip code accurate QB at times.  They played each other for the NFC championship last year.

Last year we wanted a QB who would TAKE SHOTS.  THROW THE DAMN BALL.  Now we have a qb who will stand in and sling it, roll out and sling it, and we're beating on him because his professional WR or FB/RB targets had to make adjustments on the ball.  Does Allen make inaccurate throws sometimes, yes.  Are they throws that WR and TE and RB around the league adjust to and haul in routinely?  Yes.  Does it look like route running mistakes at times?  Also yes.

the bolded is so freaking true. I've been harping on this for a bit now. to myself, under my breath mostly.... how many td's and yards has big ben gotten by just putting in AB's zip code? qb's all around the nfl have wr's making great plays on the ball week in and week out. last week I saw relative no names like keelan cole and john brown make BIG TIME plays for their qb's. qb's all around the league are trusting their talent outside and getting rewarded for it. meanwhile i'm watching weekly going, why the hell do we have nobody on our team that can bail our qb out?..... or even catch the well placed ones?

and the kicker is until the bills have some talent that can make those "area code" plays, allen is gonna get crucified for his accuracy issues.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nah. They'll want a sponsor for this just like they have for the Coffee segment.

Think you missed the joke ? 

On 9/20/2018 at 4:29 PM, John from Riverside said:

As I relook at the throw to Demarco.....

Notice where Josh throws that ball?   To me it looks like he is trying to "lead" the fullback to catch the ball closer to the sideline and away from the defender that is screaming up on Demarco from the other side.......

Could the pass has been thrown better?   Yes it could but I understand the concept.....this may have been a poor route by Demarco....as if he is closer to the sideline he might score here.......

It also looks to me like Josh does not try to throw his receivers into big hits......which is something that has been missing from our QB's who WOULD throw recievers into big hits.....I dont count that bullett to Kelvin Benjamin for the TD because he was gonna take a hit there no matter what.....but you are trying to punch the ball for 7 so you have to make that throw.....takes a big set of balls to throw that ball between defenders to a pass catcher in the end zone.....in past years our QBs would not even have attempted that throw.

I think DeMarco made that look bad. It made more sense to throw the ball to his outside shoulder where Allen put it, away from the defender, than to the inside shoulder where DeMarco is looking for it before pirouetting to try and catch it. 

31 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Film Room: Top Defensive Plays vs. Green Bay Packers (3:08)

In this week's episode of Inside the Film Room, HC Sean McDermott and Steve Tasker break down Taron Johnson's forced fumble and big stop, as well as a TFL by Jerry Hughes, and a sack by Siran Neal.

Does anyone else just see a night and day difference in McDermott talking about offensive vs defensive plays?  To my ears, when faced with offensive plays, he is so uncomfortable it's like he really needs to be looking at cue cards or something.

This is a problem since he really needs, I think, to mix it in more with the offensive planning to position the team for success.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Does anyone else just see a night and day difference in McDermott talking about offensive vs defensive plays?  To my ears, when faced with offensive plays, he is so uncomfortable it's like he really needs to be looking at cue cards or something.

This is a problem since he really needs, I think, to mix it in more with the offensive planning to position the team for success.

McDermott is certainly no Payton or McVay regardless of the three having the same first name.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1