Inside the Film Room with McDermott and Tasker

26CornerBlitz

On 9/13/2018 at 6:55 AM, stevewin said:

Has this replaced 'Coffee With The Coach'?  Oh how I'll miss McD awkwardly standing there holding a cup of coffee in front of a green screen mash up of the bridge from Starship Enterprise and a small indoor soccer field, blinking in morse code for someone to please get him the hell out of there.

This guy...this guy right here, he always looked comfortable on "coffee with the coach," but am I ever glad to be rid of him for so many reasons...

Rex Ryan: Top 5 Best & Funny Videos

22 minutes ago, Rew said:

Allen's arm was in motion when the receiver's back was still to him with no commitment inside or out.  The throw was spot on for an outside break.  There was no accuracy problem on this throw, it was a miscommunication.   It is impossible for us to know if Allen read it wrong or if DiMarco did.  It still could be Josh's mistake, but it certainly isn't due to accuracy.  Personally, I would think the outside break was correct given the coverage. 

This.  Josh though outside and DiMarco took it inside but made a great adjustment and catch.

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

KC ran the same wheel route to their FB against LA in week 1 and I'm betting that Daboll saw this on film which led to the play being called for the Bills.  Mahomes makes a great throw to Sherman unlike that from Allen.

Look at Mahomes' game against the Chargers.  Loads of off-target passes his receivers need to adjust to catch.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Looking forward to it and I hope the Bills give Allen the same kind of supporting cast that Mahomes has to set him up for success

On that we can both agree and I have no doubt they'll try.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

As I relook at the throw to Demarco.....

Notice where Josh throws that ball?   To me it looks like he is trying to "lead" the fullback to catch the ball closer to the sideline and away from the defender that is screaming up on Demarco from the other side.......

Could the pass has been thrown better?   Yes it could but I understand the concept.....this may have been a poor route by Demarco....as if he is closer to the sideline he might score here.......

I had the same thought, that Allen was expecting DiMarco to run a bit closer to the sideline on his "wheel" before turning upfield.  It looked to me as though Dimarco was still in the "curve" of the wheel when Josh threw so Allen see and adjust for that.   Allen had time and it looked to me as though his feet and hips are correctly set and the ball is going where he intends it to go - but I acknowledge that I can't always see the technique flaw that Palmer calls out as leading to inaccuracy.

Great adjustment and focus by Dimarco anyway, good to see.

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No need to rationalize or make excuses for Allen. It was an inaccurate throw to a wide open DiMarco that prevented YAC.   

You really don't know that, CB.  What you know is that DiMarco had to adjust on the ball.  Whether that's because he didn't run the route as Allen expected, or because Allen's pass was off target, there's not too much way to tell - except that in other passes in this game, I can see whether or not the pass will go where Allen intends it to by his feet and hips, and they look pretty good on this throw.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had the same thought, that Allen was expecting DiMarco to run a bit closer to the sideline on his "wheel" before turning upfield.  It looked to me as though Dimarco was still in the "curve" of the wheel when Josh threw so Allen see and adjust for that.   Allen had time and it looked to me as though his feet and hips are correctly set and the ball is going where he intends it to go - but I acknowledge that I can't always see the technique flaw that Palmer calls out as leading to inaccuracy.

Great adjustment and focus by Dimarco anyway, good to see.

You really don't know that, CB.  What you know is that DiMarco had to adjust on the ball.  Whether that's because he didn't run the route as Allen expected, or because Allen's pass was off target, there's not too much way to tell - except that in other passes in this game, I can see whether or not the pass will go where Allen intends it to by his feet and hips, and they look pretty good on this throw.

Allen misses touch throws like this far too frequently with his receivers having to make adjustments.  It's not atypical for him. 

5 hours ago, Luka said:

Kid has a long way to go. I don't really care for the coaching staff telling him to tone down some of those throws, I think that's a big part of his inaccuracy, at least in that game, he's thinking about how hard he should throw it. Fire that **** in there, these receivers need to catch it.

I also loved the "if we had one more block, Ivory scores" as Benjamin gives the most pathetic attempt to block I've ever seen.

Allen has to do something on the short throws, Luka.  They're a place where he's been consistently inaccurate in college and through the spring.  It's not just how hard he throws, it's that the ball hangs up high and the receiver has to jump for it.  That's deadly to YAC.  I thought it was positive that Allen seemed on-point in a lot of his short passes to McCoy in this game.  The pass to Murphy was probably about the worst, and typical of what I saw at the combine and his pro day, but Allen was on the run and didn't re-set.

Benjamin.  That wasn't the only whiff.  There was a pass to (I think) Shady where if Benjamin made an honest effort to block, Shady could have logged some big yards, but he made a whiff that approached the Ivory rush non-block in lack of effort.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Allen misses touch throws like this far too frequently with his receivers having to make adjustments.  It's not atypical for him. 

Yes, Allen is inaccurate sometimes, but that's not particularly a "touch throw" there, and it doesn't seem to be sailing on him the way (for example) Allen's earlier pass to Murphy did (that was an example of a touch pass that Allen missed on, though I think a better receiver than Murphy could have got it).  Just because Allen does make inaccurate throws sometimes, doesn't mean that you can look at a pass the receiver must adjust to and definitively say it's on Allen at all times.

That didn't look like a clean wheel route to me.  You posted a .gif of a wheel route thrown by Mahomes.  If you look, you can see the KC fullback makes a rounder curve and winds up closer to the sideline, the way wheel routes are usually diagrammed on whiteboard.  It looks to me like DiMarco shallowed the curve and started looking back too soon which slowed him.  Just my opinion, and worth the powder to blow it to h likely.

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Allen has to do something on the short throws, Luka.  They're a place where he's been consistently inaccurate in college and through the spring.  It's not just how hard he throws, it's that the ball hangs up high and the receiver has to jump for it.  That's deadly to YAC.  I thought it was positive that Allen seemed on-point in a lot of his short passes to McCoy in this game.  The pass to Murphy was probably about the worst, and typical of what I saw at the combine and his pro day, but Allen was on the run and didn't re-set.

Benjamin.  That wasn't the only whiff.  There was a pass to (I think) Shady where if Benjamin made an honest effort to block, Shady could have logged some big yards, but he made a whiff that approached the Ivory rush non-block in lack of effort.

Yes, Allen is inaccurate sometimes, but that's not particularly a "touch throw" there, and it doesn't seem to be sailing on him the way (for example) Allen's earlier pass to Murphy did (that was an example of a touch pass that Allen missed on, though I think a better receiver than Murphy could have got it).  Just because Allen does make inaccurate throws sometimes, doesn't mean that you can look at a pass the receiver must adjust to and definitively say it's on Allen at all times.

That didn't look like a clean wheel route to me.  You posted a .gif of a wheel route thrown by Mahomes.  If you look, you can see the KC fullback makes a rounder curve and winds up closer to the sideline, the way wheel routes are usually diagrammed on whiteboard.  It looks to me like DiMarco shallowed the curve and started looking back too soon which slowed him.  Just my opinion, and worth the powder to blow it to h likely.

Look at the way Zay runs the wheel route here.  Nowhere near the sidelines the same as DiMarco. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz