Hurricane Flo -- Politics Edition

B-Man

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

:lol:  Suffers from the same flaws as climate change research does - historical numbers are estimated and interpolated, not directly measured, and means and methods of measurement change with time.  

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

:lol:  Suffers from the same flaws as climate change research does - historical numbers are estimated and interpolated, not directly measured, and means and methods of measurement change with time.  

Of course it does, but nobody is trying to predict the future with these numbers. They probably have the number of storms and hurricanes about right. The description of the intensity  is what might be off somewhat from the 19th century to present day. What we call a level 4 hurricane today was called a real shitkicker back in the day. What we do know is that there have always been storms, hurricanes and bad hurricanes and these happened when men were rubbing two sticks together to start a fire the same as when we operate coal fueled generator plants.  

On 9/13/2018 at 11:41 AM, B-Man said:

This is exactly why we needed a political thread.

President Donald Trump is disputing the revised official death toll on Puerto Rico from Hurricane Maria, saying Democrats have inflated the actual number of people who died to make him look bad.

The official death toll now stands at 2975.

This number includes people who died during the storm and a computer estimate of those who died after the storm “due to lack of support and infrastructure”.

GW University researchers counted "indirect deaths" from the hurricane after 6 months - which resulted in the updated 2,975 count

So The Donald is right in regards to his opposition trying to make the U.S. response seem as poor as possible,

however, he definitely is an idiot for responding to such an obvious ploy, he just can't help himself.

I'm guessing they took the average number of deaths by population percentage from previous years and compared it to the same time period since the Hurricane?  So many different variables had to be accounted for and even the best study can severely underestimate or overestimate the actual death count due to the Hurricane.

I'm trying to get my head around Trump's tweets

My first thought was why respond at all?  Don't give your critics red meat.  Maybe use I instead of Trump.  Is he being purposely obtuse ?  Does he not understand how a lack of electricity and other infrastructure problems will increase the death toll from the Hurricane long term?  Does he really think the Democrats made up nearly 3,000 additional deaths to make him look bad? Does he not understand the complexities of getting an estimated long term count of those who died as a result of the Hurricane?  Either way he comes across as cold and self absorbed.  

Edited by Doc Brown

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

My first thought was why respond at all?  Don't give your critics red meat.  Maybe use I instead of Trump.  Is he being purposely obtuse ?  Does he not understand how a lack of electricity and other infrastructure problems will increase the death toll from the Hurricane long term?  Does he really think the Democrats made up nearly 3,000 additional deaths to make him look bad? Does he not understand the complexities of getting an estimated long term count of those who died as a result of the Hurricane?  Either way he comes across as cold and self absorbed.  

I think it's one of two reasons for the tweets:

1.) He is continuing his long-standing attack on the media, showing the media's penchant for being disingenuous and trying to mislead the public by distorting facts, taking those distorted facts out of context, then presenting the distorted out-of-context facts to the public to further the media narrative that Trump is trying to destroy everything; or

2.) He's an immature and insecure jackwagon who attacks anyone and anything that says something remotely negative about him.

24 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm guessing they took the average number of deaths by population percentage from previous years and compared it to the same time period since the Hurricane?  So many different variables had to be accounted for and even the best study can severely underestimate or overestimate the actual death count due to the Hurricane.

he may come across as cold and self absorbed but putting the truth in context serves many levels on the chess board.

On 9/13/2018 at 7:53 AM, donbb said:

There is certainly precedent that the Trump administration disaster relief efforts are piss poor.

Dm-LmxOXgAI68LJ.jpg

You're ability to be rational is piss poor

On 9/13/2018 at 9:02 AM, Chef Jim said:

Or racist. They never have a Hurricane Shaniqu’a. 

Oh I have a friend who works with a woman who spells her name La-A. Yes....Ladasha 

Colored people are so creative!

2 hours ago, Koko78 said:

2.) He's an immature and insecure jackwagon who attacks anyone and anything that says something remotely negative about him.

Bingo

3 hours ago, Koko78 said:

1.) He is continuing his long-standing attack on the media, showing the media's penchant for being disingenuous and trying to mislead the public by distorting facts, taking those distorted facts out of context, then presenting the distorted out-of-context facts to the public to further the media narrative that Trump is trying to destroy everything; or

I’d go with #2

Why is it an either/or? I'd say it was very plainly both 1 and 2.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd pry go with both.  I think the problem is his die hard fans who think he can do no wrong can only see the first reason and those that can't stand the guy can only see the second.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The crux of the problem is in the bolded.  There's other issues, but at the heart of it is the simple fact that "estimate" and "count" are not the same thing.  

On 9/13/2018 at 11:41 AM, B-Man said:

This is exactly why we needed a political thread.

President Donald Trump is disputing the revised official death toll on Puerto Rico from Hurricane Maria, saying Democrats have inflated the actual number of people who died to make him look bad.

The official death toll now stands at 2975.

This number includes people who died during the storm and a computer estimate of those who died after the storm “due to lack of support and infrastructure”.

GW University researchers counted "indirect deaths" from the hurricane after 6 months - which resulted in the updated 2,975 count

So The Donald is right in regards to his opposition trying to make the U.S. response seem as poor as possible,

however, he definitely is an idiot for responding to such an obvious ploy, he just can't help himself.

3000 deaths, that's close to 9-11 numbers 

In his latest video, Trump comments on Hurricane Florence. “This is a tough hurricane,” he proclaims, “one of the wettest we’ve ever seen from the standpoint of water.” Whether Florence is also wet from other standpoints is a question the president did not address.

Really wet water! No lie, DR! 

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I didn't know the name Darrell was so popular in the PR. Whole families with the first name of Darrell.

Hi I'm Larry  Tthis is my brother Darrell isnd this is my other brother Darrell. 

• Haha (+1) 1