Hurricane Flo -- Politics Edition

B-Man

Trump falsely claims nearly 3,000 Americans in Puerto Rico 'did not die'

"3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico. When I left the Island, AFTER the storm had hit, they had anywhere from 6 to 18 deaths. As time went by it did not go up by much

In a second tweet Thursday, Trump cast blame on Democrats, who he said are trying to make him look bad.

"This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico. If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list. Bad politics. I love Puerto Rico!" he wrote.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/politics/trump-puerto-rico-death-toll/index.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Or racist. They never have a Hurricane Shaniqu’a. 

Oh I have a friend who works with a woman who spells her name La-A. Yes....Ladasha 

Little known fact: "La-A" is an obscure but perfectly valid alternate spelling of "idiot."

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, ALF said:

"3000 people did not die in the two hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico. When I left the Island, AFTER the storm had hit, they had anywhere from 6 to 18 deaths. As time went by it did not go up by much

In a second tweet Thursday, Trump cast blame on Democrats, who he said are trying to make him look bad.

"This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico. If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list. Bad politics. I love Puerto Rico!" he wrote.

Unreal. He raised the money? ?

1 hour ago, ALF said:

So Trump colluded with Father Time to cause those people to die of old age?!?

#IMPEACH

1 hour ago, ALF said:

This is exactly why we needed a political thread.

President Donald Trump is disputing the revised official death toll on Puerto Rico from Hurricane Maria, saying Democrats have inflated the actual number of people who died to make him look bad.

The official death toll now stands at 2975.

This number includes people who died during the storm and a computer estimate of those who died after the storm “due to lack of support and infrastructure”.

GW University researchers counted "indirect deaths" from the hurricane after 6 months - which resulted in the updated 2,975 count

So The Donald is right in regards to his opposition trying to make the U.S. response seem as poor as possible,

however, he definitely is an idiot for responding to such an obvious ploy, he just can't help himself.

Edited by B-Man

11 minutes ago, B-Man said:

President Donald Trump is disputing the revised official death toll on Puerto Rico from Hurricane Maria, saying Democrats have inflated the actual number of people who died to make him look bad.

This number includes people who died during the storm and a computer estimate of those who died after the storm “due to lack of support and infrastructure”.

GW University researchers counted "indirect deaths" from the hurricane after 6 months - which resulted in the updated 2,975 count

So The Donald is right in regards to his opposition trying to make the U.S. response seem as poor as possible,

however, he definitely is an idiot for responding to such an obvious ploy, he just can't help himself.

That sort of counting has always bugged me, as it almost never serves any purpose other than to make some political point.  

They do the same sort of manipulation with the bombing of Hiroshima - because residents of the city die of cancer years later, there's a push to treat every death of a Hiroshima survivor as attributable to the bombing.  But no one ever attributes deaths from COPD or emphysema in residents of Hamburg or Dresden to the bombings of Hamburg or Dresden...because the point is to make atomic bombs look that much worse than conventional indiscriminate firebombing.  

I rather wish they'd call such things "notional deaths," as opposed to actual deaths where you actually have a dead person or a death certificate, or at least a name.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That sort of counting has always bugged me, as it almost never serves any purpose other than to make some political point.  

Like 240 school shootings in one year, where things like an incident with scissors counts has a school shooting.

51 minutes ago, B-Man said:

You are right, he is an idiot. You are wrong that there is a ploy. Or that Trump even f'n understood it that way. Just stick with he is an idiot 

Just now, Chef Jim said:

We didn't need some book to tell us Trump's an idiot.  But still better than the alternative. 

Oh, I agree, the majority of people didn't need the book to see Trump is a complete idiot. 

You don't know he is better, though. How many businesses did Hillary bankrupt? 

2 hours ago, ALF said:

As is usually the case involving Trump, both claims are true.  He's wrong about the deaths, but he's right about Dems' effort to make him look bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

Enough ?️?️?️.................just let Gator do his simpleton thing without responding.

There’s no occasion that the media won’t use to take a swipe at Trump, apparently:

President Trump says that "we are completely ready for Hurricane Florence, as the storm gets even larger and more powerful."

NHC says Florence has been downgraded to Cat. 2, and little change in strength is expected before landfall.

Meteorologist Ryan Maue was among the people shaking their heads at NBC News:

Whoever wrote this is downplaying the dangerous surge/rainfall threat by #Florence in order to "fact check" a Trump quote or Tweet --> Politics.

I'd say NBC News has been downgraded ...

.Literally any chance the media can take at bashing Trump they take it.

Trump: This storm is dangerous!

Media: ACKSHULLY IT JUST GOT DOWNGRADED

Why is the level of public distrust of media so high? It’s a mystery!

• Like (+1) 1