Sign in to follow this  
26CornerBlitz

Kim Pegula: Bills' Stadium Plans on Hold until after November Elections - John Wawrow AP Story

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I had read that Buffalo actually does good convention business. Mostly regional stuff.

That's my thinking as well.  There's no way that Buffalo can compete with the big conventions, but I doubt they're going for that business in the first place.  Doesn't mean there isn't other business for the taking.

I still think it makes more sense for the Bills to play in an outdoor stadium similar to the Steelers and Browns models....

Convention centers need different things than football stadiums. I know it has been done in Indy but it doesn't seem ideal for the convention center part of it.

I wonder if the present convention center is making a profit. I hate to build where there is downtown parking lots now.  

On 9/20/2018 at 12:43 PM, zonabb said:

When Poloncarz says "we" have to decide it brings up some interesting things.

First. that "we" is merely tokenism democracy and the reality is, both based on who got to see this draft before it was released, and the fact that developers (see: donors) and the Visit Buffalo Niagara tourism rely on and have input into this decision, means there is not decision. It's been made and Poloncarz and other political and business insiders have already made a decision on this, which is "yes" build it to support and double down on corporate welfare handouts to Paladino, Zemsky, Sinatra, Ciminell, Musk etc. so we as taxpayers and further ensure they make profit.

Second, if "we" as a community decide (not sure how this happens since there's not vote and no transparency in decision making) that this is a good idea, then WE are part of the problem in WNY for believing these type of projects have any benefit for the average person. Think about what a convention center is. It's a place for visitors to come and attend some conference, rent a hotel room, and consume in bars and restaurants. All that funnels money to... the same entities who bars, restaurants, and hotels we as taxpayers have already supported through some form of subsidy or outright gift. Politicians argue it benefits the region through job creation, both a convention center and the hospitality industry it serves. But in reality, we're subsidizing and supporting low wage service jobs that should be for teenagers and college kids and instead end up being careers for some because this economy is low functioning for high quality knowledge economy workers because we continue to focus on these bad projects. So who wins? Developers and politicians who continue their quid pro quo relationship whereby politicians funnel money and profit to them in exchange for campaign donations to keep them in office. So if we want this region to change, let's get away from these stupid silver bullet projects and get to meaningful change. 

Third, a convention center is really a dumb idea. How does Buffalo compete from November to April for conventions with Atlanta, Tampa, Austin, LA, Charlotte, Miami, New Orleans, etc. Or even Chicago or Minneapolis or NYC or Boston if someone wants to hold a convention in the northern cities. We don't, that's how. Just an absolute garbage idea. And I don't care what a consultant paid to investigate the feasibility of a convention center says when they know they're being hired to tell politicians it's a good idea.

Lastly, I suspect a connection between this and a Bills stadium in some way. A multiple purpose "district" is an easier sell (not that Poloncarz or anyone will sell it, they'll jam it down our throats) when you move from a stadium for 10 days a year to a stadium plus a convention center for 25 days a year. If I were these politicians, I'd triple down. A stadium that is for the Bills and UB and the convention center. UB's stadium sucks and state money funneled to the Bills through UB is easier all around sell. Although I suspect most Bills fans are OK with handing a billionaire their tax money to ensure his profit, but this STH isn't. 

Both properties owned by one person, Mark Croce. Same guy who cried poor to the city and got a million $ for work on the outside of the Statlet while at the same time was building a 1/2 million$ in south towns.  We already have a new convention building, it's called the Tesla building!

Edited by Hammered a Lot

So you’re saying on Career Day I should have gone to the booth for Rich Developers? Why didn’t someone tell me all of this before I got in the line for Cultural Studies? Rats!