9-12: Sean McDermott & Shady-Allen Pressers Live

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I know. And several veteran posters here, myself included, before the game gave several clear reasons why that was dumb, and all of them came true. 

Some of us thought it was a good decision even with the understood risk of a Peterman meltdown. Now Allen's way is cleared. No one will be calling for him to be benched in favor of Peterman. All the pressure is off. We also got an extended look at Peterman and it turns out he's probably not even long-term backup material. It makes no difference that we lost the game. This year isn't about racking up wins.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

These things are usually more subtle than that. 

Having been in a few rooms where it was going down, the usual mechanism is that managers and executives tend to feel more comfortable and have a more positive view of people we "resonate" with because they remind us of ourselves or of people we admire.  It happens to everyone unless they're consciously aware and fight it.

The bottom line is that Peterman looked better overall in preseason, Allen did not look ready, and McDermott rolled with that viewpoint and didn't look very far under the hood.

McDermott didn't look very far under the hood.

That nails it.

The truth is that Peterman did look better in the preseason in terms of stats.  But he wasn't really making NFL throws and was almost always throwing to his 1st read that he determined pre-snap based on coverages and the passes were no more than 10-15 yards down the field and if they were longer they were to wide open guys on busted coverages, like the TD to O'Leary.

And he was STILL consistently throwing at least 1 or 2 blatant interceptions a game even if the D couldn't hold onto the ball.  And they were interceptions caused by him and his poor arm strength or poor accuracy, in the case of the 1st Interception.  And in that 1st game against Carolina our 1st string OL looked at least competent, if not decent.  They just deteriorated in the Browns and Bengals games.

Whereas Allen was making NFL throws all over the field.  Yes, he was making mistakes and had inaccurate passes, but he was also doing things you'd expect out of a seasoned vet.  And he always kept his eyes downfield, like on that TD pass in the Browns game.  And he took a friggin beating in the Bengals game.  But the majority of those sacks were on the OL, not him.  But he kept on getting up and kept his poise.  There's no humor intended to this statement: he proved he can take a beating.  But Allen has also proven he can shrug off defenders in the backfield and elude pressure and isn't afraid to throw the ball away or slide to protect himself.

Silly me for thinking McDermott spent his QB evaluation on preseason games watching game film asking themselves "okay, how does this translate to what this player can and can't do in live game action" rather than looking at the results and statistics of games at 3/4ths speed.  That's pretty clearly what other good QB evaluators do as Head Coaches. 

I feel like a good evaluator would have seen those consistently almost-intercepted passes still happening in the preseason and would have known the arm strength still isn't there.

Or that all his pre-snap diagnoses can be muddied up by simply disguising blitz packages and coverages the way the Ravens did in week 1.

Or that he rarely ever went to his 2nd or 3rd read, which is kinda important to evaluate when it comes to real games.

Or that Peterman rarely threw the ball more than 15 yards down the field except to wide open guys.

Maybe McDermott should just defer all QB decisions to Dabol for as long as he's with him.  Again, I'm just happy he autocorrects quickly.

8 hours ago, GG said:

So much for protecting the players.   

this was an Excellent statement  from him. And True.

I applaud it actually.

8 hours ago, Mango said:

To this point. I thought it was weird that when asked about the decision he only mentioned Beane, Terry, and Kim. Not Daboll.

Why wouldn’t your OC be involved? 

just words.
You and i both know Brian Daboll has a say. I hope sooner than later he gets to pick Coaches and assist McBeane's on types of players to acquire.

Cuz McBeanes sure cannot build an Offense to save their lives.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

By what relevant statistical measure is the Bills defense the "worst in the NFL?"

Blown out. 47 points. We gave up 47 points. You didn't see that? I did. Nearly 50 points. That's the only stat I need to know. Ravens got those points super easy. Walk in the park. No other team on Opening Day gave up those points. Yep, we're THE worst now. Embarrassing.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Blown out. 47 points. We gave up 47 points. You didn't see that? I did. Nearly 50 points. That's the only stat I need to know. Ravens got those points super easy. Walk in the park. No other team on Opening Day gave up those points. Yep, we're THE worst now. Embarrassing.

Embarrassing, yes. Still, not the worst though. Two other teams gave up more points on opening day. Two teams playing on their home fields to boot. 

8 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I take it differently.  To me he is saying he was all in on starting NP.

The quick change from that to JA shows he failed.

He is owning up to the NP starter call and not throwing anyone under the bus.

always respect your posts : )

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Some of us thought it was a good decision even with the understood risk of a Peterman meltdown. Now Allen's way is cleared. No one will be calling for him to be benched in favor of Peterman. All the pressure is off. We also got an extended look at Peterman and it turns out he's probably not even long-term backup material. It makes no difference that we lost the game. This year isn't about racking up wins.

You don’t play a player who cannot compete in this league. Your veteran players and team will mutiny. I wouldn’t doubt if that is what forced McD’s hand. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

why would you feel embarrassed  ? Its a game.
I was proud to say i watched the whole thing. One of the most painful games i have seen in years though. I had to close one eye more than once in the first half !

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I really hope they don't put Josh in front of the media after games. Good or bad.

The media can be ruthless and, Buffalo media especially, overly negative. If Josh becomes an established starter, then give him media duty. Otherwise, put Shady or Kyle or some other vet on the mic.

well we tried to protect him starting Nate, that failed epically. He is going to do the pressers. Hope he has a good Coach for that part of the game !

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Embarrassing, yes. Still, not the worst though. Two other teams gave up more points on opening day. Two teams playing on their home fields to boot. 

Wow. the hell? There were 2 other teams that gave up more than 47 points on last Sunday? No. I'm not talking about "All Time NFL History" stuff here. I'm talking about last Sunday. We're the only ones last Sunday. I'm talking about right now present day 2018 stuff. Worst defense in the NFL.

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Josh Allen is in the same spot we've all been in when trying to cross a creek without getting our shoes wet.

It makes you so nervous... neurotic even. You tiptoe, you try to balance beam across a log... the thought of stepping into the creek and getting your shoes wet is terrifying.

Then your foot slips and you're up to your ankles in water. At that point, you stomp right through the middle of the freaking creek and don't even care how deep it gets.

I love you.

not in the funny business way though. Great post.

Go Josh Allen ! The rocket ship is staged and ready. Hang on everyone !

What did they want him so say.  Peterman proved without any doubt he should never play professional quarterback.  I thought he improved over the offseason, and the new offense would actually play to his strengths.  Turns out he has no strengths and I have lousy judgement in terms of making decisions at the qb position.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Wow. the hell? There were 2 other teams that gave up more than 47 points on last Sunday? No. I'm not talking about "All Time NFL History" stuff here. I'm talking about last Sunday. We're the only ones last Sunday. I'm talking about right now present day 2018 stuff. Worst defense in the NFL.

I’m talking this past opening weekend. On Sunday, New Orleans gave up 48 points AT HOME to Fitz and Tampa Bay. On Monday, Detroit also gave up 48 points AT HOME, too. So, two teams gave up more points than Buffalo on opening day this season. We suck, but we are not the worst as has been asserted. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

I’m talking this past opening weekend. On Sunday, New Orleans gave up 48 points AT HOME to Fitz and Tampa Bay. On Monday, Detroit also gave up 48 points AT HOME, too. So, two teams gave up more points than Buffalo on opening day this season. We suck, but we are not the worst as has been asserted. 

To be fair, TB and the NYJ both scored DT and/or ST TDs in those 48 point totals. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

To be fair, TB and the NYJ both scored DT and/or ST TDs in those 48 point totals. 

Be fair all you like. But technically and according to official stats as compiled and maintained by the league, the Bills don’t have the worst defense in the league as has been asserted.

43 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

McDermott didn't look very far under the hood.

That nails it.

The truth is that Peterman did look better in the preseason in terms of stats.  But he wasn't really making NFL throws and was almost always throwing to his 1st read that he determined pre-snap based on coverages and the passes were no more than 10-15 yards down the field and if they were longer they were to wide open guys on busted coverages, like the TD to O'Leary.

And he was STILL consistently throwing at least 1 or 2 blatant interceptions a game even if the D couldn't hold onto the ball.  And they were interceptions caused by him and his poor arm strength or poor accuracy, in the case of the 1st Interception.  And in that 1st game against Carolina our 1st string OL looked at least competent, if not decent.  They just deteriorated in the Browns and Bengals games.

Whereas Allen was making NFL throws all over the field.  Yes, he was making mistakes and had inaccurate passes, but he was also doing things you'd expect out of a seasoned vet.  And he always kept his eyes downfield, like on that TD pass in the Browns game.  And he took a friggin beating in the Bengals game.  But the majority of those sacks were on the OL, not him.  But he kept on getting up and kept his poise.  There's no humor intended to this statement: he proved he can take a beating.  But Allen has also proven he can shrug off defenders in the backfield and elude pressure and isn't afraid to throw the ball away or slide to protect himself.

Silly me for thinking McDermott spent his QB evaluation on preseason games watching game film asking themselves "okay, how does this translate to what this player can and can't do in live game action" rather than looking at the results and statistics of games at 3/4ths speed.  That's pretty clearly what other good QB evaluators do as Head Coaches. 

I feel like a good evaluator would have seen those consistently almost-intercepted passes still happening in the preseason and would have known the arm strength still isn't there.

Or that all his pre-snap diagnoses can be muddied up by simply disguising blitz packages and coverages the way the Ravens did in week 1.

Or that he rarely ever went to his 2nd or 3rd read, which is kinda important to evaluate when it comes to real games.

Or that Peterman rarely threw the ball more than 15 yards down the field except to wide open guys.

Maybe McDermott should just defer all QB decisions to Dabol for as long as he's with him.  Again, I'm just happy he autocorrects quickly.

Taking 4 months to name Peterman the starter only to replace him after 2 quarters looks like one of the worst decisions in the franchise history.  It's a blunder that could put him on the hot seat in Buffalo.  The offense should have spent all the time Peterman got with the first team, running scramble drills with Allen.  The offense would be light years ahead of where it is now.

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

To be fair, one of Baltimore's TDs was a one-yard drive following a Peterman pick.

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Taking 4 months to name Peterman the starter only to replace him after 2 quarters looks like one of the worst decisions in the franchise history.  It's a blunder that could put him on the hot seat in Buffalo.  The offense should have spent all the time Peterman got with the first team, running scramble drills with Allen.  The offense would be light years ahead of where it is now.

We don't know what or where the offense is now. The offense under Allen hasn't been put on the field yet. We're going to see that Sunday.

I have relative confidence our offense is productive Sunday.