9-12: Sean McDermott & Shady-Allen Pressers Live

26CornerBlitz

5 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

The good thing about it is if Allen had started week one and didn't have a great game, a lot of people would be calling for Peterman.  Now Allen can just play and we don't have deal with a good portion of the fan base calling for Peterman if Allen struggles early.

Yeah, this was discussed amongst family while watching the game on Sunday.  Maybe this is why McDermott said starting Peterman was the right decision.  But I think that's giving him way too much credit.  He might be a young coach, but he strikes me as a dinosaur who's not going to make it past 3-4 years as a head coach..

Edited by PeterDude

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That part just had me speechless. 

I didn’t see the presser but that quote should highlight why McD would have seemed off at the presser. He is a prideful guy and probably doesn’t enjoy the finger pointing and being called a fool. Just my guess.

3 minutes ago, x-BillzeBubba said:

If it wasn't McD's call, then it was Terry

Not necessarily.  He had to have promised Daboll a certain degree of autonomy over the offense to get him to buy in and take the job.

I thought from Daboll's post-game presser, reading between the lines, he'd seen what he needed to see from Allen and wanted to go forward with him.

It could have been a combo of Daboll, Beane, and feedback from the team leadership council.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was til you saw how he performed AGAIN in his start...

Maybe Peterman just can't handle playing on the road. He actually was halfway decent in his games at the Ralph. Maybe we need a road QB and a home QB hahahaha

Edited by matter2003

That is the "Silver Lining", indeed.

Judging from McDermott's facial expressions and body language, that doesn't look at all as if that was the plan, or even a possibility that had been strongly considered.

If the loss had been by a smaller margin, and Peterman had more than a 0.0 rating, he probably could have started him 4 games.

IMO, the plan was to go the first 4 games with Peterman, then switch to Allen.  Now Allen is thrown to some very nasty wolves.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Not necessarily.  He had to have promised Daboll a certain degree of autonomy over the offense to get him to buy in and take the job.

I thought from Daboll's post-game presser, reading between the lines, he'd seen what he needed to see from Allen and wanted to go forward with him.

It could have been a combo of Daboll, Beane, and feedback from the team leadership council.

I sure hope McDermott isn't pushing for Peterman due to him being a fellow bible thumper. Everyone needs to be on the same page here...

Edited by PeterDude
  • Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 minute ago, PeterDude said:

Yeah, this was discussed amongst family while watching the game on Sunday.  Maybe this is why McDermott said starting Peterman was the right decision.  But I think that's giving him way too much credit.  He might be a young couch, but he strikes me as a dinosaur who's not going to make it past 3-4 years as a head coach..

I kind of agree but I want to see how he coaches if we are able to put a legit roster behind him.  I hope he will lose his affinity for punting and go for it on more 4th and short situations, if he has a QB and defense he can trust.

I don't think he is saying in retrospect it was the right move. I think he was saying at the time I thoroughly believed that Nate was the right choice and I am not going to start second guessing my heartfelt decisions as they happen. He was obviously saying that it was a bad choice by the some are right some are wrong statement. 

The real scary thought is that he honestly believed that starting Nate was the right decision at the time. We may be screwed. 

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Nate Peterman might be the worst QB who has stafted in the NFL in the history of rhe league. You shouldn't "need another look" to confirm that. In 3 starts he managed to set 2 historically bad records...one for most INTs in a half and last week a franchise record opening day loss.

What good QB has ever performed that terribly in his first 3 starts? None.

Obviously you didn't read the rest of my post. You can read, correct? You just jumped on Nate immediately. I congratulated on Josh Allen starting.. Calm down.  Nate is not responsible for the 47 points that the Ravens put up. That's the defense.  Our defense is trash; absolute garbage. The season is over regardless of Josh Allen starting. If Cam Newton was our starting QB, the Bills still wouldn't make the playoffs.

The team is in stupid bad shape right now. The QB position is not my number one concern. I don't know why we got rid of Schwartz. I wanted him to stay. What he did with our defense was effin' amazing.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The real scary thought is that he honestly believed that starting Nate was the right decision at the time. We may be screwed. 

Yeah, all offseason, the whole competition.  All that was blown to shreds in 1 qtr of NFL football.  This is why I don't think much of McDermott as a HC.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

A few thoughts.

First, McDermott prides himself on the culture he is building, first and foremost. That starts with the owners, GM and him to the players, trainers and probably even the custodians in the building. He is trying to take the B.B. approach. He wants to build the team's culture, he wants that in place because once it is, it makes a lot of other things easy. 

On that note, I bet he isn't happy about the leak. Someone went against the culture, so I'm sure he was pissed off about that before he entered the room. 

Secondly, it seemed that the reporters were attacking him, attacking his credibility, and questioning his decision making. That put him on the defensive, so he was already in a bad mood and now he is on the defensive. Plus, the ask the same question eight times, which he answered the same way each time and was getting more annoyed each time the question was asked. All those equal up to a not so pleasant press conference.

One more note to make. I think NP was McDermott's guy. When he looks at the kind of player he wants in his locker room, its NP. He wanted NP to succeed so badly, not because he wanted to look correct last year, but just because he truly likes the guy and sees him as someone who he can build the roster around, in terms of the culture. McDermott never thought NP was the long-term solution but wanted him to be serviceable this year so that Allen could sit and learn. Obviously, NP being atrocious doesn't allow that to happen, so now he has to turn to his rookie. I think he has all the faith in the world in Allen, he just wanted Allen to have time to learn and grow before taking his lumps. 

Good post, agree on all.   As for Peterman, he is a good dude and I was hoping he'd turn into our modern day Frank Reich.. A solid, reliable backup.  Unfortunately Nate's practice habits and practice games have not carried over to the real thing.  He got off to a good start in the Indy snow game last year, but couldn't even finish it out.  The two road starts were historically poor.  His play has put McDermott's decision making into serious question.  So McD has no choice but to start Allen and let's hope for the best.   

2 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

Yeah, this was discussed amongst family while watching the game on Sunday.  Maybe this is why McDermott said starting Peterman was the right decision.  But I think that's giving him way too much credit.  He might be a young couch, but he strikes me as a dinosaur who's not going to make it past 3-4 years as a head coach..

Judging from McDermott's demeanor during the presser, I agree with you on the 'credit'.  I don't think this was a case of "OK, we roll with Peterman, either his preseason improvements will hold in the regular season or we can switch to Josh Allen without people calling to give Peterman a shot if Allen struggles".    That may have been how Daboll viewed it.

I think McD genuinely bought into Peterman's improvement at QB from pre-season.  I think he genuinely likes and admires him and viewed him as epitomizing success according to his values - a hard working, faith-driven young man who worked hard and deserved his shot, and didn't deserve to get the hook after only one game. 

I think Daboll may have had a come-to-Jesus meeting with McDermott, reinforced by Beane and maybe others, but Man! McDermott didn't handle it gracefully.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't think he is saying in retrospect it was the right move. I think he was saying at the time I thoroughly believed that Nate was the right choice and I am not going to start second guessing my heartfelt decisions as they happen. He was obviously saying that it was a bad choice by the some are right some are wrong statement. 

I agree he is referring to the decision "at the time", and also believe he is referring to the likely sum total of considerations that went into it - not throwing JA to the wolves on the road his first start, let NP take the heat the first few games then eventually switch over to JA etc

I wonder how much "team psyche" played into this. I get the impression the rest of the team wants Allen to play/start. I expect a much better overall performance (all 3 phases) from the team this week. Probably won't translate into a win, but should be much closer than last week.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah maybe Daboll did open his up saying that McDermot had addressed the QB spot so he wasn't going to talk about it.