Confirmed: Bills to start rookie QB Josh Allen vs. Chargers

East TX Dan

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
1 hour ago, buffalostu2 said:

I don't think it is a matter of make up.   Like David Carr, we watched it happen to Rob Johnson.  Once a QB starts getting pummeled they begin to watch the pass rush rather than keeping eyes downfield on the receiving options.  That is a human survival instinct that is a product of getting sacked that kicks in not some  predetermined genetic make up.  Agree?    

Disagree.  Rob Johnson didn't have it.  Jim Kelly probably took as my h abuse his first couple of season as QB's today take there whole careers.  It may be an instinct, but the ability to avoid the rush and step up in the pocket is instinctual as well.  Every single QB in the NFL gets pummeled.  If that can't get over the fear of taking a hit to complete a pass, then they just don't have it.  For the great ones, their desire to win and their ultra competitiveness overrides the instinct to protect themselves.

11 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Bills fans just don't see how bad that line is even after watching all the QB pressures, sacks on the Bills QB starters for the Browns, Bengals, Ravens games. It's not just the line either as the receivers aren't getting separation or getting open a lot of the time. Then fans complain that the QB is holding the ball too long.    

I doubt very many NFL starting QB's would survive for very long behind the current Bills offensive line. The OC Groy was on his back most of the game and Miller was just about as bad.     

We can see it so I don't get why Beane/ McD don't see it

Why do you think they don't see it?

Have you not noticed the overall quality of offensive linemen across the NFL is bad? Why do you think two of the o-line that DIDN'T make the Bills roster were immediately snatched from waivers?

There just aren't good o-line players that aren't signed. There are a lot of mediocre to poor players, which we have enough of.

39 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So fricken frustrating with some of you

He did not say that Josh was "not ready" he said that  "Peterman won the job" and "he had confidence in both of his quarterbacks"

THOSE WERE THE WORDS HE USED......it was other people that used the words "not ready"

If he truly thought that Josh Allen was "not ready" he would not have traded away AJM....because the backup is one hit away from being the starter

Some of you would complain no matter what he did

Allen didn't start week 1 because he was not ready to in the coaching staff's opinion.  Period.  The coach's words, particularly at a PC meant for public consumption, are meaningless.

Do you honestly think Allen would have sat on the bench if he was ready to play?  He is the most important piece of this entire organization right now, and his ceiling is about 1,000 miles higher than Peterman's, and the coaching staff knows that.

No offense, but you come across like an idiot.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

The only reason Peterman has struggled is because he's had either Tyrod or Allen staring over his shoulder. What they need to do, for the good of the franchise, is trade Alien for a pick and a #1wr and name Peterman the starting QB for the rest of the season. Fight me.

You can't be serious.  This has to be a joke. 

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Allen didn't start week 1 because he was not ready to in the coaching staff's opinion.  Period.  The coach's words, particularly at a PC meant for public consumption, are meaningless.

Do you honestly think Allen would have sat on the bench if he was ready to play?  He is the most important piece of this entire organization right now, and his ceiling is about 1,000 miles higher than Peterman's, and the coaching staff knows that.

How about the fact that Allen himself said that he wasn't ready after the 3rd preseason game. Or that anyone with two eyes can see that Allen isn't ready. He's big, has a strong arm, and he moves well. He also has no idea what's going on out there. It's like he's learning a new position. This is insanity. I'm going to be so mad if we ruin him.

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Maybe he'll be a good OC some day.  Seems like a bright, accountable dude.  He also has some version of The Yips where he utterly breaks under live fire... he's ready-made for a desk job.  Should never be put in the foxhole again and the Bills may need to hire a sports psychologist to help them evaluate players better...

11 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I think your over thinking it. Not saying your wrong. Just consider the offense was kinda trash last year and it still will be until proven different. I guess while people are blaming scape goats I didn't see anything different than Rick Dennison or Tyrod to me in that Ravens game. The only difference was instead of moving forward it went in reverse while stalling. 

You might not think they have an interest in saving face knowing that. It's obvious it isn't working and starting Josh Allen is just the team throwing up thier hands and saying screw it. I believe McDermott when he says he is learning. Starting Josh Allen now will teach him something and we will find out the lesson soon. 

I don't hate the team for exploring all options. They thought maybe they could swing it with Peterman being conservative. It failed. 

Edited by Lfod

Anyone else pick up on McD refusing to say whether he'd stick with Allen going forward? So I guess his plan is to just re-evaluate after every game and play musical chairs with his QBs. I'm sorry but this reeks of incompetence. This is such a bummer.

Edited by VW82

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

This coaching staff just told you 72 hours ago that he was not ready to start an NFL game.

That fact hasn't changed simply b/c Nate Peterman is beyond terrible.

This coaching staff looks like idiots right now, however much you want to defend them.

This same coaching staff also told me/us that Peterman WAS ready to start an NFL game.  Fun fact, Peterman was clearly not ready to start an NFL game.  In fact the entire team looked like they were not ready. 

I like the coaching staff, I think they are the best we have seen since Wade Phillips.   Does McDermott look like he is in over his head?  After Sunday, yeah he does, but almost any coach would given an outcome like that on opening day.    MTC.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

Disagree.  Rob Johnson didn't have it.  Jim Kelly probably took as my h abuse his first couple of season as QB's today take there whole careers.  It may be an instinct, but the ability to avoid the rush and step up in the pocket is instinctual as well.  Every single QB in the NFL gets pummeled.  If that can't get over the fear of taking a hit to complete a pass, then they just don't have it.  For the great ones, their desire to win and their ultra competitiveness overrides the instinct to protect themselves.

Yeah, Kelly could stand in there and take a hit in order to make a play, no doubt. Fearless as they come. But more often than not, he had a pocket to step up into as Hull and Co. weren’t in the habit of getting pushed back and letting the pocket collapse. We’ve seen that a few times out of our current group and I have little reason to think they’re going to improve so Daboll will have to scheme protections to compensate. 

Kelly was sacked 70 times his first two seasons combined. By contrast,  Carr was sacked 76 times in his rookie year alone. Instinctual or not, that’s gotta get inside your head after a while. Carr was ruined as a result. 

• Like (+1) 1