Confirmed: Bills to start rookie QB Josh Allen vs. Chargers

East TX Dan

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Everything I know about McDermott tells me he thinks through every possible scenario. He knew Allen was one injury or bad game away from starting. If they didn't think he was ready they would have kept a 3rd QB. Peterman won the competition but he was never going to start the whole year unless he took the league by storm. I don't think they wanted to start Allen this early if they could avoid it but they aren't blowing up their plan.

I think that they were thinking he'd be ready enough by game 6.  Also, they were hoping that the O line would be better, which is now obvious that that was a huge miss.  Josh isn't ready enough at this point, but they can't play NP again.  NP would probably do as well as what Josh will do this Sunday,  however, the fans will boo a lot less with the rookie.  Just hope that Shady can run, and KB can catch;  otherwise, this one could get ugly in a hurry.  I do agree that Josh gives us a better chance of not going 0-4, as along as he doesn't get knocked to la-la land.  Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

They have appeared to be completely reactionary this year, and its a stretch to think this is some sort of expected contingency out of some elaborate planned out scenarios.  They screwed the pooch with Peterman. They accepted that and moved on. 

So what are you saying, you don't think it even occurred to McDermott that Peterman could have a meltdown game again? It didn't cross his mind as a possibility that Allen would be starting sooner than later? That's crazy. Of course they were prepared for this.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

So what are you saying, you don't think it even occurred to McDermott that Peterman could have a meltdown game again? It didn't cross his mind as a possibility that Allen would be starting sooner than later? That's crazy. Of course they were prepared for this.

yes. any sane person would have kept mccarron if they thought the peterman debacle was remotely possibly week 1.  bills screwed the pooch wasting reps on peterman this summer and starting him week 1.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

yes. any sane person would have kept mccarron if they thought the peterman debacle was remotely possibly week 1.  bills screwed the pooch wasting reps on peterman this summer and starting him week 1.  

You're making my point for me. They didn't keep McCarron because the plan all along was to hand the reins to Allen when the opportunity presented itself. Peterman played awful and Allen looked pretty good in mop up duty. There's the opportunity. McCarron was never going to take over for Peterman.

And if they wasted reps this summer so did every other team with a 1st round QB. Do you think Tyrod Taylor, Sam Bradford, and Josh McCown were ever thought of as the future of their franchises? I firmly believe in open competition at the QB position until you have an entrenched starter and clearly McDermott does too. Peterman won the competition, period. He was given his opportunity and failed. So now Allen will develop on the field. If Allen becomes a franchise QB no one will care that we started Peterman for a game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You're making my point for me. They didn't keep McCarron because the plan all along was to hand the reins to Allen when the opportunity presented itself. Peterman played awful and Allen looked pretty good in mop up duty. There's the opportunity. McCarron was never going to take over for Peterman.

And if they wasted reps this summer so did every other team with a 1st round QB. Do you think Tyrod Taylor, Sam Bradford, and Josh McCown were ever thought of as the future of their franchises? I firmly believe in open competition at the QB position until you have an entrenched starter and clearly McDermott does too. Peterman won the competition, period. He was given his opportunity and failed. So now Allen will develop on the field. If Allen becomes a franchise QB no one will care that we started Peterman for a game.

Its not one week. It was a waste of an entire training camp. 

Jeff George started as a rookie and was knocked out of his first game by biscutt.  Lots of young qbs have stated early, took some lumps and became solid NFL qbs.  Let's hope this fires up the offense and they raise their game to help the kid.

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It also showed you could start a rookie, he can get crushed for two years and not lose his body or brain or confidence or career 

Yea well, not every QB is that lucky as you noted with Carr. The Bucs had a pair of first and second rounders on their line that year and more specifically a first rounder at center.  Groy and Miller are the lines biggest liabilities right now and Groy spent most of that Ravens game on his back.  

The grade for that Buffalo Bills offensive line for the Ravens game by many was an "F" and I doubt it will get better against the Chargers, the Vikings, The Packers, The Texans.  

In case of Bills fans forgetting what Allen went through against Cincy...https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/08/26/bills-rookie-josh-allen-overwhelmed-awful-bengals/1106809002/

""The Bengals outgained the Bills 246-76 as Buffalo had only four first downs and the overmatched offensive line allowed quarterback Josh Allen to be sacked five times for 39 yards in losses as Buffalo had minus-5 yards net passing. And make no mistake, this was not a case of a confused rookie holding the ball too long; he never had a chance as the Bengals’ pass rush impersonated a tsunami washing ashore.    

Again, I keep coming back to hideous. Allen would take a snap, and when right guard John Miller wasn’t committing a penalty, he or someone else up front was getting bull-rushed into the backfield. Their next duty was scraping Allen off the turf after he’d been accosted.

Allen played a total of eight series and completed only one more pass (six) than he absorbed sacks. Charles Clay set the tone for the day on the very first play when he dropped Allen’s perfect throw over the middle. Things only went downhill from there.

That first series ended with a sack. The second included a sack when center Ryan Groy got annihilated and a false start on Miller. Miller had a false start on the third drive, then Allen threw two inaccurate passes intended for Clay and Jeremy Kerley.   

On the fourth possession, Allen hit Kelvin Benjamin for 11 yards, but the next three plays did not produce a first down and Sean McDermott punted on fourth-and-inches from his own 43 in a preseason game his team was already trailing 14-0. Shaking my head on that one.

Allen’s fifth series ended on a sack, his sixth was derailed by a Miller personal foul penalty and two sacks that resulted in fourth-and-38 (this time I agreed with McDermott’s decision to punt). His seventh series was a three-and-out during which Benjamin should have caught Allen’s pass down the numbers on the right side, and his final possession ended with his head bouncing off the ground.

He finished 6 of 12 for 34 yards and probably feeling fortunate all his body parts were still operational, a fact that was confirmed when, after being removed from the game to be evaluated for a concussion, he was cleared to return to action, though McDermott wisely opted against it.""

I hope Miller, Groy play better so Allen can survive the game as I doubt Peterman will relieve him at any point. I also hope the Bills get their run game going and forget about that pass first nonsense. I'm just mad as hell at McD, Beane for trading away AJ McCarron and not bringing in a veteran QB while not finding better talent at C, RG.  This FO made the right choice at QB this year and now they are breaking their plan to have him sit and develop. I'll be even madder if this regime ruins this bright young talent at QB. 

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

Troy Aikman went 1 - 15 his first year and is in the HOF. With Allen starting we are at least getting his education out of the way. With the Urban Sombrero we have no chance and no confidence

Now go back and look at that 1989* Dallas Cowboys roster to see that while drafting Aikman #1 overall they also drafted an OG in Steve Wisnewski with a #2 pick.   

The Boys also had Mark Tuinei at LT (played 15 seasons for Dallas), Nate Newton at LG (played 13 seasons for Dallas), Tom Rafferty at C (played 14 seasons for Dallas), Crawford Ker at RG ( played 7 seasons for Dallas) and Kevin Cogan at RT (played 14 seasons for Dallas).    

Troy Aikman started and played behind probably one of the very best offensive lines in the history of the NFL and he learned the ropes by throwing 9 TDs, 18 INTs his rookie year.  

Aikman was sacked only 19 times in his first year in the NFL and completed 52.9 % of his passes.   

** Take a long hard look at the talent on that Dallas Cowboys offensive line and the Buffalo Bills line, while really good at that time, pales in comparison. Their line was a big reason why they were so good for so long and WON 3 super bowls! 

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Problem is...those lumps can put him in concussion protocol with this line. 

Allen has the right intangibles to make this gig work. The coaches just just have to allow him to make mistakes.

7 hours ago, DCBongo said:

Jeff George started as a rookie and was knocked out of his first game by biscutt.  Lots of young qbs have stated early, took some lumps and became solid NFL qbs.  Let's hope this fires up the offense and they raise their game to help the kid.

I see your point but using Jeff George as an example of a solid NFL QB is a weird way of making it

15 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It also showed you could start a rookie, he can get crushed for two years and not lose his body or brain or confidence or career 

Take a long hard look at Steve Young's career to see that like Aaron Rodgers he sat behind one of the very best QB's ever in Joe Montana for 5 years. Then he learned his craft from one of the most brilliant coaches in Bill Walsh.  

For the first two years after Tampa in SF, Young's completion percentage was 53.6, 53.5 in 3 game starts each year. So it took time to evolve into a star QB from the beating he took in Tampa.   

Looking at Peyton Mannings first season at Indy he had two 1st round picks at LT, RG and a #2 at RT so his line wasn't anywhere near as bad as the current Bills line. Plus he was only sacked a mere 22 times his first season. Manning had a 56.7 completion percentage with 26 TDs, 28 INTs.   

My point being I don't think I've ever seen a rookie QB start his first year and succeed with such a bad offense around him as Josh Allen has around him currently. If the kid survives to do well it will be a miracle. 

I saw at least two ESPN shows on the heels of this announcement where the 'experts' first blasted the Bills for being the worst team in the NFL, then Nate Peterman for being the worst professional athlete to ever play sports, but then they went straight to basically saying Josh Allen sucks too and is a bust - without any explanation on how they came to that conclusion.  I guess in the absence of actual knowledge the national media just assumes if he couldn't beat out Peterman he is worst than him?