Confirmed: Bills to start rookie QB Josh Allen vs. Chargers

East TX Dan

Just now, VW82 said:

Anyone pick up on McD refusing to say whether he'd stick with Allen going forward? So I guess his plan is to just re-evaluate after every game and play musical chairs with his QBs? This reeks of incompetence. 

Gotta keep the door open for the Peterman project.  I think he's undermining Allen's development but no just saying this is our guy and lets go get it done  That's just me

5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

How about the fact that Allen himself said that he wasn't ready after the 3rd preseason game. Or that anyone with two eyes can see that Allen isn't ready. He's big, has a strong arm, and he moves well. He also has no idea what's going on out there. It's like he's learning a new position. This is insanity. I'm going to be so mad if we ruin him.

He didn't?  He was working through his progressions, seemed to be moving in the pocket well (a little too well when he bailed a few times on phantom pressure).  Heck even PFF said he was the highest rated Bill, which of course is like being the king of Crap Mountain.  Just not sure how one would say he has NO IDEA what's going on...

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Heitz said:

He didn't?  He was working through his progressions, seemed to be moving in the pocket well (a little too well when he bailed a few times on phantom pressure).  Heck even PFF said he was the highest rated Bill, which of course is like being the king of Crap Mountain.  Just not sure how one would say he has NO IDEA what's going on...

I'm clearly a little emotional about this subject lol so there's some hyperbole in that statement, but all things considered - everything we heard coming into the draft, in the mini camps, in training camp, what we saw in preseason, what we saw on Sunday, his inconsistent pocket presence, his habit of pulling the ball down and scrambling rather than keeping his head up and looking down field, his accuracy issues, the fact he got beat out by Nathan Peterman, etc., etc. - I'm sorry but he's clearly still very raw at this stage. Maybe he develops into a franchise guy. I won't claim to be smart enough to say either way, but I can't remember ever seeing a QB who looked this raw getting thrown into the fire this early and it having worked out. Hope I'm wrong.

Edited by VW82

I don’t think it mattered one bit which of NP or AJM was cut, kept, started, or if they both were here and played last week.  Buffalo didn’t have a QB ready for week 1.  So what’s the point of mulling over a decision?  

Edited by bobblehead

37 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Allen didn't start week 1 because he was not ready to in the coaching staff's opinion.  Period.  The coach's words, particularly at a PC meant for public consumption, are meaningless.

Do you honestly think Allen would have sat on the bench if he was ready to play?  He is the most important piece of this entire organization right now, and his ceiling is about 1,000 miles higher than Peterman's, and the coaching staff knows that.

No offense, but you come across like an idiot.

I just have to LOL at that.....like calling someone an idiot is not a offense....but it honestly fits you and had fit you since you started posting on this board.

Give some sort of proof that anyone on the coaching staff said that Allen was not ready or STFU.....seriously because you are just stating your OPINION and that is all

9 minutes ago, timekills17 said:

Why do you think they don't see it?

Have you not noticed the overall quality of offensive linemen across the NFL is bad? Why do you think two of the o-line that DIDN'T make the Bills roster were immediately snatched from waivers?

There just aren't good o-line players that aren't signed. There are a lot of mediocre to poor players, which we have enough of.

This is pure horse hockey. McD knew the last draft that the line wasn't good enough when he drafted Dawkins in the second round to replace Mills. Then when Glenn went down with an injury Dawkins replaced him at LT and played well.   

That still doesn't change the fact that this FO had the 2018 draft and free agency to replace some of the absolute scrubs on that line. Groy is one of the very worst centers and Miller was just about as bad. (Bodine gotta be better.)  Neither player should be starting on an NFL team.    There are better players out there and for some reason, this FO didn't/won't go after them. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a center or offensive guard out there on somebody's practice squad better than Groy, Miller. 

The team should be looking at a signing a veteran QB and cutting Peterman too.  

WR Dez Bryant 

T Austin Howard 

OG Jahri Evans 

QB Matt Moore

QB Paxton Lynch

21 minutes ago, Heitz said:

No idea may be a bit strong, but there's not much that can be gleaned from his time in the game.  At the time he went in, Baltimore was putting in their second stringers and pulling back their defense in order to wind the clock down.  The game was over, and Harbaugh was playing for his Thursday night game.  As far as judging Allen, it basically amounted to another preseason game. While IMO I don't think there was really any other choice but to start Allen, what I've seen from him so far doesn't fill me with confidence.

I think the best case scenario is he can hit a deep ball early in order to get some kind of room for the running game.  If they come out with the same game plan as they did against Baltimore, this is going to be another ugly game.

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

In the 6-15 stat line one of those incompletions was a play that 98-100 NFL quarterbacks get sacked on. It was absolutely outrageous that he escaped the sack and threw the ball away for an Incompletion. 

Yeah Allen will be fine. I didn't know if his balance would translate from college to the NFL. But once Terrell Suggs ran into him at full speed and he didn't go down that question was answered.

Looks/Sounds to me like McD was fine rolling through "The Process" with Peterman this season and letting him "process" us all the way to the #1 overall pick, considering we're trash at OL and WR and arent going to do much anyways. And then Pegula or someone stepped in this week and told him he had to start Allen so the team didnt have to deal with a fan revolt.

Seems like this team is very confused as to how much it wants to "win now" and how much it wants to "trust the process".

New owner, same meddling?

So Billsy.

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

McDermott said, when asked if he regretted starting Peterman against the Ravens. "I felt like that was the right move and I'll take that to my grave."

It was the right move. Transitioning from Peterman to Allen is easy. No one can question it. Doing it the other way around would be impossible. No matter how much Allen struggles no one will be calling for Peterman to take over. If Allen ends up good no one will care about the decision to start Peterman in the first game of Allen's rookie season. No one is still talking about Tom Savage.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yeah, Kelly could stand in there and take a hit in order to make a play, no doubt. Fearless as they come. But more often than not, he had a pocket to step up into as Hull and Co. weren’t in the habit of getting pushed back and letting the pocket collapse. We’ve seen that a few times out of our current group and I have little reason to think they’re going to improve so Daboll will have to scheme protections to compensate. 

Kelly was sacked 70 times his first two seasons combined. By contrast,  Carr was sacked 76 times in his rookie year alone. Instinctual or not, that’s gotta get inside your head after a while. Carr was ruined as a result. 

I totally agree with this. I've seen so many good prospects at QB go to bad teams and get ruined due to bad lines, bad coaching, bad teams. While it is true that some are simply bad to start with it's also a fact that some can be great and never get that chance because they get drafted by a bad team.   

Just look at Steve Young and his two years at Tampa Bay. The 1986 Bucs Young went 2-12, 8 TDs, 13 INTs with a completion percentage of 53.7. If left on that bad team Young would have never amounted to anything. 

38 minutes ago, mabden said:

I like the coaching staff, I think they are the best we have seen since Wade Phillips.   Does McDermott look like he is in over his head?  After Sunday, yeah he does, but almost any coach would given an outcome like that on opening day.    MTC.

Matt Patricia looked in over his head on a similar outcome.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I guess Josh Allen suddenly went from "not ready" to "ready" in 72 hours, mostly because Nate Peterman sucks.

McD doesn't have a F-ing clue.

At what point did McDermott say Allen wasn't ready to start? The decision to start Peterman was two-fold. First McDermott declared an open competition and Peterman looked the best throughout training camp and preseason. He clearly won that competition. Second it is much safer to start Peterman first because if he looks bad you can make the switch to Allen no problem. If they didn't feel Allen was ready they would have signed Matt Moore by now. I suspect their plan all along was to let Peterman play the first 3-4 games but he was so bad in Baltimore they're changing it up earlier than planned. The plan is exactly the same as it was, just a little ahead of schedule.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I think your over thinking it. Not saying your wrong. Just consider the offense was kinda trash last year and it still will be until proven different. I guess while people are blaming scape goats I didn't see anything different than Rick Dennison or Tyrod to me in that Ravens game. The only difference was instead of moving forward it went in reverse while stalling. 

You might not think they have an interest in saving face knowing that. It's obvious it isn't working and starting Josh Allen is just the team throwing up thier hands and saying screw it. I believe McDermott when he says he is learning. Starting Josh Allen now will teach him something and we will find out the lesson soon. 

I don't hate the team for exploring all options. They thought maybe they could swing it with Peterman being conservative. It failed. 

If they would have stuck with Peterman there would be "fans" calling McD an idiot for being stubborn and taking a chance of losing the locker room for not playing the best player.

I fully expect Josh Allen to struggle.....its going to happen......but he will take the experience he gains this year into the following year and they will (IMO) revamp that offensive line and get him legit targets.........

Josh Allen is not gonna break...he is a strong willed kid who dealt with n OL protection/lack of targets through college....he is biult for this.   He is going to struggle and its ok

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If they had even a McCarron they could have brought Allen along slower. They don't have that luxury. 

They do have that luxury. They could sign Matt Moore right now. The fact that they haven't means they think Allen is ready right now. I can't believe people are questioning the McCarron trade. He isn't much better than Peterman. It's shocking we got a 5th rounder for him and nothing he brought to this team is worth more than that.

Edited by HappyDays

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They do have that luxury. They could sign Matt Moore right now. The fact that they haven't means they think Allen is ready right now. I can't believe are questioning the McCarron trade. He isn't much better than Peterman. It's shocking we got a 5th rounder for him and nothing he brought to this team is worth more than that.

Lets see what they do with the backup position over the next couple of weeks.......

I think Peterman has had his shot (twice) and failed miserably......McD HAS to be looking at options here

• Like (+1) 1