Confirmed: Bills to start rookie QB Josh Allen vs. Chargers

East TX Dan

7 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

may he rest in peace :cry:

The Bills have a young Aaron Rodgers and now seemed determined to ruin him. At the end of the year most Bills fans will probably be saying he was never any good anyway. 

Green Bay had the luxury of sitting Rodgers behind BRETT FAVRE for three seasons. Now...if you are saying the Bills have a comparable luxury then I don't know what to tell you. Allen is the most talented quarterback on the roster. The goal is to win. You have to play Allen now. 

31 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

If this report is true, then this tells me McD believed all along that Josh was ready, but because Nate didn't give him enough of a reason to start Josh OVER Peterman, he basically needed to start Nate in order to be a man of his word. He said whoever earned that right, and throughout the Pre-Season, Peterman *did* in fact earn that right. 

We can say all we want that none of us liked him or we knew he was going to be terrible, blah, blah, blah....in the end Peterman didn't do anything to justify taking the starting job away from him, from his first pass and Pre-Season game all the way through the last Pre-Season game. I can't figure out why Nate can be that good to be soooooooo bad when the lights come on for real - but no doubt he was and is....

This tells me McD knew Josh could play right away and probably wanted to start him right away, but as I said, he needed to keep his word to keep his credibility with his team to insure the locker room stayed tight for the season. IF this is true, then good for McD willing to admit he needs to change course and let the Rook go for the year and learn on the job. Experience is the best teacher.

you have no clue if this is true.

We’re now writing Bills fan fic.

5 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

This is bad. I don't want Peterman anymore than the next fan but this team has very little talent on the offensive side of the ball and the kid isn't ready. This is a direct result of Beane and McD believing Peterman was good enough to hold the fort for a year, what does that say about them?

Oh well, let's hope the kid doesn't get killed and he can develop on the fly.

Peterman has only slightly more experience than Allen and far, far, far less upside. Huge difference between a 5th round pick and #7 overall.

I wonder if they will consider benching Allen if he doesn't play well...the thought seems to be that once they switch to Allen it has to be for good this year as they can't/shouldn't keep swapping back and forth.

And I'm not assuming he WILL play poorly; more just wondering if they are going to ride with Allen for the season now or if the position will be evaluated on a week-to-week basis.

Edited by Johnnycage46

Just now, Johnnycage46 said:

I wonder if they will consider benching Allen if he doesn't play well...the thought seems to be that once they switch to Allen it has to be for good this year as they can't/shouldn't keep swapping back and forth.

That decision should be tied to a pink slip for McDermott.

Trading Tyrod Taylor was a mistake. Trading McCarron was a mistake.

Peterman is DONE. This guy can't play in the NFL. Too fast for him. Cut him.

Now Beane needs to sign a veteran QB and fast.

Last year was a fluke. The team was supposed to be mediocre and they made the playoffs. It won't happen this year.

Josh Allen era begins and he will surprise most people.

Next year we rise!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

you have no clue if this is true.

We’re now writing Bills fan fic.

Um, you're absolutely right....but then again, unless someone on this board is Sean McD - NOBODY knows what's true. This was an opinion, as are most things on this board unless you're linking to an article or quoting another person. So, I'm not defending it's truth, as I said, "this tells me..." see what I did there? I referenced my own opinion....

As for fiction....fiction is a story designed to entertain an audience. I clearly stated it was ....are you ready??? ....are you sure???....my.....opinion. Earth shattering I know....but, there it is for all the world to see / read....hopefully, this helps. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Many rookie QB's started from day one and turned out to be great.

Jim Kelly started right away on a horrible Bills team and wasn't great right off the bat but we all know how he turned out.

Im not saying Allen will come close to Kelly, just saying that starting a rookie on day 1 doesn't mean he will be ruined

Are you referring to the USFL team or his start with the 1986 Bills?

Because if it's the Bills the reason for the 4-12 season was because the team started 2-7 under Hank Bullough and finished 2-5 under Marv. That team was far from horrible as they had Andre Reed, Pete Metzelaars, Rob Riddick, and on the line Ken Jones, Jim Ritcher, Kent Hull, Will Wolford, Joe Devlin. That was a darn near a great offensive line. 

Kelly was learning the NFL ropes and threw for 3593 yards with 22 TDs, 17 INTs. 

If Allen had anything remotely close to that kind of talent on the line I'd be calling for him to start too. 

6 minutes ago, jkirchofer said:

Peterman has only slightly more experience than Allen and far, far, far less upside. Huge difference between a 5th round pick and #7 overall.

I know. My point is that both Beane and McD thought enough of Peterman to not protect Allen with another QB, it’s very concerning the both of them had faith in Nate....twice.

Our top ten QB is now set up to fail. Another issue, if Beane wasn’t going to protect Allen with a solid team or QB ahead of him to take the beating, why not draft a QB who was ready day 1 (Rosen)?

I understand all of the arguments for and against starting Allen. I understand wanting to get him experience, but also avoid starting him for sake of his mental stability behind this awful line. What I don't understand is how its all actually gone down with this coaching staff.

How can you come to the conclusion, after months of training camp, practices and pre-season that you want to start Peterman, and then after 1 half change your mind? How could an NFL coaching staff paid millions of dollars be so wrong about the analysis of how it was going to go. Of course the line will be awful when 3/5 (or arguably 2/5) of your has retired/been traded and yet nothing has been done to remedy. They had to have known "this is going to be bad". Now, if they made the decision off the get go to say, "let's see what Allen can do with this" I'm all for it. But they didn't - they clearly had a plan to protect him. Now, as a knee jerk reaction they change their mind? I'm sorry but that just speaks volumes of poor planning and being completely overwhelmed. 

McDermott and company stumbled into the playoffs last year and I really don't think they'll experience that "success" again.