Redskins' 50-year sellout streak will end this Sunday

49 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I was meeting my friend at the Astros game a few years ago. He was running late, so I was sitting by myself texting him, to see where he was. Orbit, the team mascot, sits next to me, grabs my phone from my hand, and gestures to me to watch the game. Greatest. Mascot. Ever.

thanks, a much needed laugh!

they had to put up screens at baseball games because at any given moment during play about 80% of those in the seats aren't remotely paying attention to the game

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ratings are down in every sports. NASCAR is falling off a cliff.  Nfl is like a perfect 10 who one day gets pimple.  She is not as perfect as she normally is but she’s still really, really hot.  Guys are making billions.  Football is fine.

i see large crowds in weekday seats for Jays games, a putrid horrible team, and those seats aren't cheap for 2 or 3 and beer and things

who the heck is spending $200 on a weeknight at a garbagetime baseball game routinely?

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

the game not selling out has nothing to do with Flo!

This has been a trend for a while and will continue until the Skins win consistently.  

will continue until Snyder either sells the team or passes on..and he is kinda young! He took over for the mosted hated owner by a fan base when Wertz died in Chicago. 

The whole Redskins game experience is the antithesis of going to a Bills game..people are angry there. They don't want to be to give Snyder money, but they love their team..makes em even angrier when the Skins are losing. And getting in and out of that place is just insane even on Sunday..night games are just about impossible.

BTW, the Bills are not sold for Sunday either.

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

I would love to see end of the year ticket sales and TV ratings for all 32 NFL teams. My hunch, it may be down some as it seems the NFL is losing popularity/fans.

Probably but there are other factors.  How do sports bars get counted? I watched the opener at a sports bar in Miami and it was packed.  There’s also streaming services.  I do agree about going to the game and that’s a problem.  I would much rather tailgate and watch the game somewhere else than go to the stadium.

but again, the nfl is still making billions of dollars and another sport isn’t close to it.  People need to simmer down with the nfl is dying stuff.  I wonder how Bills fans weren’t watching last year when we ended our drought.

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Probably but there are other factors.  How do sports bars get counted? I watched the opener at a sports bar in Miami and it was packed.  There’s also streaming services.  I do agree about going to the game and that’s a problem.  I would much rather tailgate and watch the game somewhere else than go to the stadium.

but again, the nfl is still making billions of dollars and another sport isn’t close to it.  People need to simmer down with the nfl is dying stuff.  I wonder how Bills fans weren’t watching last year when we ended our drought.

football is clearly dying off

Edited by row_33

6 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Football is far from fine.  I know lots of young people who have no interest in the NFL or college football.  The impact is not felt because these people are not yet big spenders but when they hit their stride in terms of career their money will be spent elsewhere.  Not on game tickets or merchandise such as 400 dollar team coats.  The NFL is maintaining due to its older fans.  You will see more dorky commercials by the NFL on how grandma is a Bears fan, sonny who moved to Milwaukee for work is a Packers fan, and his daughter who moved to LA for career is a Rams fan.  The NFL is saying we don't care if you follow tradition we just want your damn money.

There are literally 30,000+ 21 year old kids at the grass lots every home game 

there are tons of young kids into football still, especially in Buffalo

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, I dont think it is dying but a drop for sure. As for bars, im not sure how that is calculated into tv ratings my guess somehow it is. I agree, sometimes its nice watching on tv.

48 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are literally 30,000+ 21 year old kids at the grass lots every home game 

there are tons of young kids into football still, especially in Buffalo

While 30,000 young persons at the lots by the stadium is one measure it is far from the only measure.  It's been on the news recently that many high school football programs are seeing less participants currently than what was previous not many years back and not all of it is due to debilitating injury concerns.  I am around kids of all ages and I hear less NFL and college football talk among 25 year olds on down than when my oldest nephews and nieces were in their early twenties a decade ago and even that is less than when I was that age a few decades back.  There are approximately 3 million people in in the WNY and Central NY areas and most likely there are nearly a million people age 35 or less.  30,000 "young" people are not even 10 percent of the entire group.  

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

While 30,000 young persons at the lots by the stadium is one measure it is far from the only measure.  It's been on the news recently that many high school football programs are seeing less participants currently than what was previous not many years back and not all of it is due to debilitating injury concerns.  I am around kids of all ages and I hear less NFL and college football talk among 25 year olds on down than when my oldest nephews and nieces were in their early twenties a decade ago and even that is less than when I was that age a few decades back.  There are approximately 3 million people in in the WNY and Central NY areas and most likely there are nearly a million people age 35 or less.  30,000 "young" people are not even 10 percent of the entire group.  

Well first, most of the people tailgating are going to the game. So 30,000 21 year old out of 71,000 seat stadium

that is a good %

i am also around people of all ages and have been a HS coach and scout

there are definitely less kids playing today than 25 years ago but that is mainly in the suburbs. Where mothers are afraid to let their kids play ball. And that is a small %. My local HS in Buffalo area has 800 kids. A pretty small school for national standards

but the football team is stacked with talent

in the city there is no shortage of kids playing football