Redskins' 50-year sellout streak will end this Sunday

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

The People are losing interest in this sport....

Just like in the other sports, they're pricing out the common fan (aka the riff raff) by design.   Every pro sports owner aspires now to a wine and cheese crowd, which is what you get in big cities with winning teams.  They'd rather sell one premium seat to a guy who won't show up most of the time than sell ten upper deck seats to guys who never miss a game.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

The People are losing interest in this sport....

Ratings are down in every sports. NASCAR is falling off a cliff.  Nfl is like a perfect 10 who one day gets pimple.  She is not as perfect as she normally is but she’s still really, really hot.  Guys are making billions.  Football is fine.

8 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Just like in the other sports, they're pricing out the common fan (aka the riff raff) by design.   Every pro sports owner aspires now to a wine and cheese crowd, which is what you get in big cities with winning teams.  They'd rather sell one premium seat to a guy who won't show up most of the time than sell ten upper deck seats to guys who never miss a game.

Truth. What once was the sport of the working man is no longer.

Shame, really.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The fans are definitely protesting ‘something’. Just like with the players kneeling it’ll take years to figure out what exactly. ?

they have better things to do than spend all that time at a game for a team that doesn't really care to win

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Ratings are down in every sports. NASCAR is falling off a cliff.  Nfl is like a perfect 10 who one day gets pimple.  She is not as perfect as she normally is but she’s still really, really hot.  Guys are making billions.  Football is fine.

Football is far from fine.  I know lots of young people who have no interest in the NFL or college football.  The impact is not felt because these people are not yet big spenders but when they hit their stride in terms of career their money will be spent elsewhere.  Not on game tickets or merchandise such as 400 dollar team coats.  The NFL is maintaining due to its older fans.  You will see more dorky commercials by the NFL on how grandma is a Bears fan, sonny who moved to Milwaukee for work is a Packers fan, and his daughter who moved to LA for career is a Rams fan.  The NFL is saying we don't care if you follow tradition we just want your damn money.

12 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Football is far from fine.  I know lots of young people who have no interest in the NFL or college football.  The impact is not felt because these people are not yet big spenders but when they hit their stride in terms of career their money will be spent elsewhere.  Not on game tickets or merchandise such as 400 dollar team coats.  The NFL is maintaining due to its older fans.  You will see more dorky commercials by the NFL on how grandma is a Bears fan, sonny who moved to Milwaukee for work is a Packers fan, and his daughter who moved to LA for career is a Rams fan.  The NFL is saying we don't care if you follow tradition we just want your damn money.

I stopped thinking it's okay to sit in hours of traffic to go to a game I really don't care that much about

Edited by row_33

30 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Heard on the radio coming in today that the Skins will soon turn to Groupon to sell tickets...to the home opener  I know the Bills have discounted December games in the past, but I can't remember them selling through an outside source.

Bills December games would be buying a dozen tickets up top for $5 each and frequently leaving the game to go back to your parking spot and drink a beer and come back in again

All sports are suffering because kids don't really watch, and they are starting to age into that 17-25 yr old bracket.   Heck, my 14 yr old son has grown up with a sports crazy dad.  He likes the games but like most of his friends would rather be on the PS4 or watching his online stuff and Youtube videos.  He plays fantasy football with me, but on gameday mostly sits on his phone and keeps track of his fantasy players...and glances at the game once in a while.  Then by the 3rd Qtr is checked out on the game.

Kids just don't sit and watch sports like we used to.

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

All sports are suffering because kids don't really watch, and they are starting to age into that 17-25 yr old bracket.   Heck, my 14 yr old son has grown up with a sports crazy dad.  He likes the games but like most of his friends would rather be on the PS4 or watching his online stuff and Youtube videos.  He plays fantasy football with me, but on gameday mostly sits on his phone and keeps track of his fantasy players...and glances at the game once in a while.  Then by the 3rd Qtr is checked out on the game.

i read that the median age of a baseball fan is 57, I've seen it way higher for regular season games

it will be impossible to get people under 25 to sit there for 3-4 hours watching a game without some kind of computer or handheld diversion

30 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I'm 27. Didn't sit down to watch the full Bills game, every game (assuming I wasn't at a party or something) till I was about 16. Give him some time. 

28 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i read that the median age of a baseball fan is 57, I've seen it way higher for regular season games

it will be impossible to get people under 25 to sit there for 3-4 hours watching a game without some kind of computer or handheld diversion

I was meeting my friend at the Astros game a few years ago. He was running late, so I was sitting by myself texting him, to see where he was. Orbit, the team mascot, sits next to me, grabs my phone from my hand, and gestures to me to watch the game. Greatest. Mascot. Ever.

13 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Tickets are expensive. I'm 30 years old and have a ton of student debt. I've found ways to make it work, but if I was being smart about it, tickets would be the first thing to go.

With the blackout rule lifted and many other things to do on sundays, some people are just choosing other things

The tickets are never the issue with me. It's all the OTHER expenses that get pricey. Hotels, food, gas tolls can push a couple-day trip for a game well over a thousand dollars. At that point, I'd rather spend that money on an actual vacation. ;)

• Like (+1) 1