Our initial fears of Brian Daboll’s incompetence were not quelled after Week 1

Wayne Arnold

3 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I had no initial fears as he was touted as getting a brilliant offensive mind that studied under Belichick, Saban.  

One week does not define a career so I'm willing to see how he does going forward. If he wants his offense to work he had better get that run game going because his QB's are far too raw to run some advanced pass first, hurry up offense. 

Tall order, though. The all -22 showed us that the run blocking was worse than the pass pro. By a lot. The Bills have little talent on the Oline and played with no physicality whatsoever. Prospects for cranking up a run game are slim. Watching the NYJ game, the contrast between the two Olines was stunning. 

54 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Too simplistic. Gailey and Roman didn’t have all that much to work with either but you were able to recognize creative concepts and worthy schemes that often or occasionally resulted in chicken salad.

True. Of course, teams figured out Gaileys schemes halfway through the season and forced the WRs to do things they weren’t capable of . It was interesting while it lasted, though. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

We all wanted to believe that Daboll’s putrid tenure as NFL OC was due to poor personnel.

While watching the game on Sunday I was disappointed by the lack of imagination/creativity and struck by how seldom the receivers were able to get open - which is a strong indication of scheme issues as much as it is (or perhaps more than) wide receiver talent limitation.

Kurt Warner and Doug Farrar have confirmed my fears that Daboll might in fact stink.

Here’s the thing.... Sal Carpaccio spoke about this on his Extra Point Show.  He said that the Bills were down 26-0, and it escalated fast.  They were down by so many points that they never had a chance to establish their run game.  Then with Allen in the game and with it being the 1st game of the season, he didn’t want to put too much on tape.  

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Hard to put a number on it. 

Fans are already turning on McDermott after ONE game. If they have a 3 or 4 win season and start out next year slow, he might not make it the full season. 

Exactly. It would really be more of a big picture- but feeling type deal than one that is quantified by a number. Bills fans should make no mistake, this kind of blunder at the QB position leaving no viable option but a raw rookie could be a career -killer. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Too simplistic. Gailey and Roman didn’t have all that much to work with either but you were able to recognize creative concepts and worthy schemes that often or occasionally resulted in chicken salad.

Wayne...you were able to discern these offensive nuances, or lack thereof, from one game of football?

Jury's still out for me on Daboll.  Whoever the best OC in the world is probably couldn't get this team into the top half of NFL offenses.  Talent is definitively worse than last year, and much worse when Peterman is in at QB.  But there's still (IMO) ways to tell if the OC knows what he's doing - play design, play calling, etc.  Daboll talks a very good game, which is better than a lot of the duds we've had - including Dennison last year.  And when the game was still relatively close, he didn't just run-run-pass-punt.  But obviously there weren't much in the way of positives on offense, so I think it's tough for anyone to endorse Daboll after week 1.

34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Hard to put a number on it. 

Fans are already turning on McDermott after ONE game. If they have a 3 or 4 win season and start out next year slow, he might not make it the full season. 

I agree to a point. Kim and Terry run this team and although they may listen to the fans quite a bit I kinda doubt they will follow with what the fans want.

But C'mon Pickerman was beyond pathetic... as was the offensive line, as were the receivers, as was Daboll, as was the defense for a while, as was special teams.     

It's tough to win in the NFL when the entire team looks undisciplined, unprepared at first. The team came around but it was already out of hand and too late. 

5 minutes ago, Cash said:

Jury's still out for me on Daboll.  Whoever the best OC in the world is probably couldn't get this team into the top half of NFL offenses.  Talent is definitively worse than last year, and much worse when Peterman is in at QB.  But there's still (IMO) ways to tell if the OC knows what he's doing - play design, play calling, etc.  Daboll talks a very good game, which is better than a lot of the duds we've had - including Dennison last year.  And when the game was still relatively close, he didn't just run-run-pass-punt.  But obviously there weren't much in the way of positives on offense, so I think it's tough for anyone to endorse Daboll after week 1.

We're gonna know pretty quick if he starts the game out with that pass first, quick strike crap. This is not a strong passing team and it doesn't take a brainiac to see that much.  

The Bills need to get Shady involved in the run game first and then into open space in the passing game.     

For those keeping score, here is Daboll's resume as an NFL offensive coordinator:

2009 Cleveland Browns: yards per game = 32nd of 32 teams, points per game = 29th

2010 Cleveland Browns: ypg = 29th; ppg = 31st

2011 Miami Dolphins: ypg = 22nd, ppg = 20th

2012 Kansas City Chiefs: ypg = 24th, ppg = 32nd

...in all cases the same "his players weren't good" excuse can be made. But, at some point you have to show you can work with what you got.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Several of the all-22 analyses seem to suggest that his concepts were leaving men open, we just couldn't get to them.

OTOH Kurt Warner does truly know something, just like Tony Romo so...uncertain who to believe.

Yeah. Some people with great credibility saying opposite things. Oh well, it was only ONE game so let's roll and move forward. My own uneducated disappointment is if the OL and WRs are your weak points, and RBs and TEs your strong points, why so many one back + 3-4 WRs sets? Use double TEs, Shady + Ivory at the same time, Shady in the flat hopefully lined up with a LB etc. Mix things up! And with Allen's arm, Daboll better use some max protection plays + deep routes. Change things up!

I saw on NFL network a breakdown of two great plays by the Redskins OLine and I was shocked at how mobile they were comparing to the Bills'

Edited by Jerome007

6 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Are you shocked?  A notoriously  poor offensive coordinator is going to come to Buffalo with the worst offense talent in the league and all the sudden be good?

hoping two negatives make a positive? 

23 minutes ago, October 1918 said:

For those keeping score, here is Daboll's resume as an NFL offensive coordinator:

2009 Cleveland Browns: yards per game = 32nd of 32 teams, points per game = 29th

...in all cases the same "his players weren't good" excuse can be made. But, at some point you have to show you can work with what you got.

His tenure in Cleveland shows with some  continuity he can improve ?

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 hour ago, October 1918 said:

HOLY ****! :death: Okay, Now I'm thoroughly afraid for Josh Allen soon to be the human pinata. 

6 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I will reserve judgment on Daboll. I'm not sure anyone could have done much better with the offensive talent that was on the field last Sunday.

Sort of like commissioning Michelangelo to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel - and then giving him paint brushes without any bristles...

That is precisely the point of the tweets referenced by the OP.

Our lack of success in Week 1 is as much a result of what we asked the talent to do, as much as the quality of the talent itself.

That's a coaching problem, not a personnel problem.

7 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I will reserve judgment on Daboll. I'm not sure anyone could have done much better with the offensive talent that was on the field last Sunday.

Sort of like commissioning Michelangelo to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel - and then giving him paint brushes without any bristles...

Come on man, start hating him now.  How many games do you need? 

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

That is precisely the point of the tweets referenced by the OP.

Our lack of success in Week 1 is as much a result of what we asked the talent to do, as much as the quality of the talent itself.

That's a coaching problem, not a personnel problem.

I get the point of the tweets - just not sure I agree that it was more coaching than personnel. For example, Doug Farrar being perplexed about plays designed for Peterman to be an anticipation thrower, when he is "not an anticipation thrower," is ridiculous. Peterman is awful; however, about the only good quality he has (which seems to only manifest in preseason games) is to throw with anticipation. 

The lack of talent and execution on the field Sunday at QB, OL, and WR was pretty self evident.

I think I will give Daboll more than one game before I join the lynch mob...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, October 1918 said:

To be fair, in 2011 the Dolphins improved to 20th from having been 30th the year before, with Matt Moore at QB.

Also to be fair, coaches do sometimes struggle, drop back to their previous level of competence, then learn something that helps them succeed when they get another shot.  We'll see.