Our initial fears of Brian Daboll’s incompetence were not quelled after Week 1

Wayne Arnold

Well first off i hope he learned how to over come a bad game & how to use less than top of the line talent to put up points to get the team some wins & at the very least have the teams offense look respectable !

But one thing he has definitely learned & got it down Pat (pun intended) is Bills lip smack during his interviews ?he does it just exactly like Bill & i was wondering if any one else had noticed ? It can be pretty annoying at times !!

I know this is nothing to do about nothing but with all the down talk about how we lost so bad last week i thought well just maybe this would lighten the mood a bit & give us something other than the obvious to talk about ..

Smack on Dabol & use what ever else you can pull from your time with the Pats to bring our team back !! GO BILLS !! 

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

We all wanted to believe that Daboll’s putrid tenure as NFL OC was due to poor personnel.

While watching the game on Sunday I was disappointed by the lack of imagination/creativity and struck by how seldom the receivers were able to get open - which is a strong indication of scheme issues as much as it is (or perhaps more than) wide receiver talent limitation.

Kurt Warner and Doug Farrar have confirmed my fears that Daboll might in fact stink.

Several of the all-22 analyses seem to suggest that his concepts were leaving men open, we just couldn't get to them.

OTOH Kurt Warner does truly know something, just like Tony Romo so...uncertain who to believe.

• Like (+1) 1

You need to read Cover 1's review of the game. DaBoll did what he could with his part a lot, the players execution failed and he relied on certain things like KB ISO routes to often. But the concepts in general were sound. He is going to get a lot of flak for an offense with no talent

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

I disagree with this as this HC was able to get his team in the playoffs for the first time in 17 years and I doubt Pegs will pull the plug after only one losing season.

I think McD has three more years... unless of course, the Bills play all year like they did against the Ravens as I don't think any owner could take many of those 47-3 blowouts.

If they go 3-13 this year with the offence sucking, and 4-12/5-11 next year with the offence sucking again, Mcd's seat will be very warm.

I agree with the other post that Mcd will not get a chance to bring in a 3rd OC. He better pray Daboll is the guy

Edited by billsfan11

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

He doesn’t have a QB.

He doesn’t have Wide Receivers.

He doesn’t have an O Line that can block.

Sounds like a winning combination to me!!!

Too simplistic. Gailey and Roman didn’t have all that much to work with either but you were able to recognize creative concepts and worthy schemes that often or occasionally resulted in chicken salad.

• Like (+1) 3

They made this point on WGR the other day, and I thought it was fair, that we shouldn't indict Daboll quite yet. That BAL game got so out of hand so quickly, it essentially became another preseason game, so no need for him to open up the playbook in the second half down 4-5 scores. 

I'm not SAYIN, I'm just sayin... 

Edited by jimmy10

29 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Cover 1 seemed to recognize the passing concepts just fine, did Kurt Warner actually sit down and review the tape or is he just speaking sensationally 

I'll say it again, can we FORCE people on TBD to watch the Cover 1 videos?  Like, there's a splash page where you have to read their article on the Bills long term planning and look at their A22 videos, then you can check a box and you're let into TBD... :D ?

11 minutes ago, Heitz said:

I'll say it again, can we FORCE people on TBD to watch the Cover 1 videos?  Like, there's a splash page where you have to read their article on the Bills long term planning and look at their A22 videos, then you can check a box and you're let into TBD... :D ?

Yeah maybe Kurt Warner can download a few video breakdowns and learn something about passing concepts ?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Yeah maybe Kurt Warner can download a few video breakdowns and learn something about passing concepts ?

Warner's a busy guy, I'd be surprised if he got as in-depth at Cover 1 - breaking down individual plays, looking at each in slow-mo, really breaking it down.  Warner probably saw some highlights and was like "WTF" :D

Still, we can probably assume the guy knows his stuff, he did *OK* in the NFL!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

struck by how seldom the receivers were able to get open

See the "All 22" thread - receivers were getting open.

At one point in the game they showed a replay of a sack, and the announcer said, "There was nobody open." At the moment he said that, I could see a receiver running right past a defender, with 1-2 yards of separation, while Nate was still upright and looking downfield.

31 minutes ago, SDS said:

Are you really comparing the two?

I mean there is a difference between actually analyzing something and watching highlights going just off those impressions. Cover 1 did a great breakdown and did criticize some of Daboll. They also did though make valid points that the offense was more hamstrung by NP then anything else and it had chances.

That doesn't take away from Warner not being wrong that on first impression they were bad and looked lost nor the fact he's a HOF QB with some good insight. It's two very different perspectives looking at the game from much different lenses. Warner isn't paid to go as in depth as some of the stat guys.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Several of the all-22 analyses seem to suggest that his concepts were leaving men open, we just couldn't get to them.

OTOH Kurt Warner does truly know something, just like Tony Romo so...uncertain who to believe.

Warner is a devout Christian - maybe he was trying to defend Peterman. ?