Our initial fears of Brian Daboll’s incompetence were not quelled after Week 1

Wayne Arnold

We all wanted to believe that Daboll’s putrid tenure as NFL OC was due to poor personnel.

While watching the game on Sunday I was disappointed by the lack of imagination/creativity and struck by how seldom the receivers were able to get open - which is a strong indication of scheme issues as much as it is (or perhaps more than) wide receiver talent limitation.

Kurt Warner and Doug Farrar have confirmed my fears that Daboll might in fact stink.

Edited by Wayne Arnold
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is legitimately concerning.  Of all of the important fixes that were needed this past offseason (and there were many), a strong, creative OC was one of the things at the top of list.  Way too early to assess Daboll at this point, but his past experience as OC in the NFL was always disconcerting.  Landing with teams with bad offenses (Cleveland and Buffalo) is unfortunate, but he will need to make the team confident in his abilities and schemes this season.

• Like (+1) 3

I will reserve judgment on Daboll. I'm not sure anyone could have done much better with the offensive talent that was on the field last Sunday.

Sort of like commissioning Michelangelo to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel - and then giving him paint brushes without any bristles...

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 7

I had no initial fears as he was touted as getting a brilliant offensive mind that studied under Belichick, Saban.  

One week does not define a career so I'm willing to see how he does going forward. If he wants his offense to work he had better get that run game going because his QB's are far too raw to run some advanced pass first, hurry up offense. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I will reserve judgment on Daboll. I'm not sure anyone could have done much better with the offensive talent that was on the field last Sunday.

Sort of like commissioning Leonardo da Vinci to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel - and then giving him paint brushes without any bristles...

or a ladder. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Sort of like commissioning Leonardo da Vinci to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel - and then giving him paint brushes without any bristles...

Brian "da Vinci" Daboll - I agree 1 game is not a fair assessment - but the most impressive part of his resume was that he was part of excellent teams that were good before and after he left, and the most damning are his stints where he was asked to be the guy to improve a team.  I'm hoping for the best with him because it will take true genius to get this unit to look like a capable offense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsRdue said:

or a ladder. 

Just now, Ayjent said:

Brian "da Vinci" Daboll - I agree 1 game is not a fair assessment - but the most impressive part of his resume was that he was part of excellent teams that were good before and after he left, and the most damning are his stints where he was asked to be the guy to improve a team.  I'm hoping for the best with him because it will take true genius to get this unit to look like a capable offense.

I need to review my Renaissance painters :lol:

Just out of curiosity, what plays would you dial up for: an offensive line that holds up for an average of 2.4 seconds, a wide receiver corps that we all knew was probably the worst in the league, and features a giant man with feet for hands as our number one guy, and a quarterback who's qbr ranks 244 out of 247 since 2001 and has the arm strength of a jv cheerleader? (All stats were off the top of my head so maybe slightly inaccurate but you get the point)

Im guessing it would be something like quick, timing based throws and a few Our Fathers every time Nate dropped back to pass. If you watched the post game interview with Weddle, he talked about all of that. He said something to the effect of, "we watched Nate play, and we knew they were going to use quick short timing passes, and that he has a noodle arm that would give us chances to intercept him." 

Just like I'm giving Beane and McD a slight pass this year for having to put together and coach a roster with a mind boggling handicap due to the dead money, I'm giving Daboll a slight pass in that I don't think anybody could get success out of probably one of the least talented offenses ever assembled. As much as it sucks, we're going to have to play the waiting game to see what these guys can do when they have 90M in cap space and a full draft next year before we can get a reading. 

As a disclaimer, I'm also not that confident in Daboll. I'm just willing to wait till next year to let him coach an NFL offense, which we do not have this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I had no initial fears as he was touted as getting a brilliant offensive mind that studied under Belichick, Saban.  

One week does not define a career so I'm willing to see how he does going forward. If he wants his offense to work he had better get that run game going because his QB's are far too raw to run some advanced pass first, hurry up offense. 

i agree with this.   It's hard to accomplish anything when you have no pass protection and cannot establish any kind of running game.   

22 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

McD won’t get to fire a second OC.

I disagree with this as this HC was able to get his team in the playoffs for the first time in 17 years and I doubt Pegs will pull the plug after only one losing season.

I think McD has three more years... unless of course, the Bills play all year like they did against the Ravens as I don't think any owner could take many of those 47-3 blowouts.

Daboll was so good in Cleveland ......... no strike that.  He was so good in Miami ...... wait no not there either.  He was so good at ... well... coaching Gronk.  If that doesn't deserve a shot destroying the highest draft pick we used on a QB in 20 years I don't know what does.  McDermott already proved he can't spot talent or coach offense last year.  We need a coaching staff that can coach both sides of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2