Unless They Are 110% Sold on Allen, Bills Should Draft Another QB in 2019

BuffaloRush

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not the case, it's a realization that the current regime paid a big price to get Allen and they are going to be patient with him as they knew very well that he wasn't a finished product.  Besides that they have not surrounded him with a competent OL and enough reliable weapons in the receiving corps.  You expecting them to draft another QB with a high draft choice will lead to you being disappointed because the evaluation of Allen won't be done after this season and he's definitely their guy.   

I believe the all 22 showed WR's open.

If our QB can't find them then yes I expect to double down on a QB... you are less than nothing in this league without consistent dependable solid QB play. Now if Allen starts throwing to the open guys and they keep dropping passes that's a different discussion.. But I expect our QB to be able to identify D, make the right decision and deal with the onslaught because the great ones do, which forced D's to be more honest... Allen has to be capable of beating the 8 in a box onslaught if he is not then there is no reason to be patient, he'll never get it, and we've walked this walk a dozen times in the last 20 years.

The current regime paid a price to get a top QB.. They can be patient with him and he can compete with another QB with equal or greater ceiling. A 2nd solid QB asset is never wasted IMO. Doesn't mean there will be one worth taking in the top 10 and I am not preaching over reaching, but I would not rest on my QB laurels as this will get you fired the fastest. Fans want excitement and they want it mostly at the QB position. So it is up to Allen alone to keep this from being a possibility.

If we stink it up Allen looks like crap and we draft a pass rusher when there is a highly ranked QB sitting there then yes I will be pissed off. I want great QB play and I want nothing else but constant and total commitment to finding that QB and to not rest until they do. 

The game of football is quite boring without a capable QB. I'm sick and tired of Bills football....

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

If our QB can't find them then yes I expect to double down on a QB... you are less than nothing in this league without consistent dependable solid QB play. Now if Allen starts throwing to the open guys and they keep dropping passes that's a different discussion.. But I expect our QB to be able to identify D, make the right decision and deal with the onslaught because the great ones do, which forced D's to be more honest... Allen has to be capable of beating the 8 in a box onslaught if he is not then there is no reason to be patient, he'll never get it, and we've walked this walk a dozen times in the last 20 years.

The current regime paid a price to get a top QB.. They can be patient with him and he can compete with another QB with equal or greater ceiling. A 2nd solid QB asset is never wasted IMO. Doesn't mean there will be one worth taking in the top 10 and I am not preaching over reaching, but I would not rest on my QB laurels as this will get you fired the fastest. Fans want excitement and they want it mostly at the QB position. So it is up to Allen alone to keep this from being a possibility.

If we stink it up Allen looks like crap and we draft a pass rusher when there is a highly ranked QB sitting there then yes I will be pissed off. I want great QB play and I want nothing else but constant and total commitment to finding that QB and to not rest until they do. 

The game of football is quite boring without a capable QB. I'm sick and tired of Bills football....

This is the QB through AT LEAST 2019. If he is a total failure like Paxton Lynch they will look for a guy after next season. They aren’t considering a guy next year though. There’s a zero percent chance of it. They spent 2 years working to get Allen. Now we will see what he can do with trash. Next year we will see what he can do with NFL players around him. 15 months from now we will have an idea as to Allen’s NFL future.

Just now, ddaryl said:

They won't have enough time or reps to develop two young QBs.   None of this is realistic or makes any sense from a roster building perspective and it's far better to build a complementary supporting cast around Allen to put him in the best possible position to succeed moving forward with ten draft choices and over $90M in cap to spend.

44 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not the case, it's a realization that the current regime paid a big price to get Allen and they are going to be patient with him as they knew very well that he wasn't a finished product.  Besides that they have not surrounded him with a competent OL and enough reliable weapons in the receiving corps.  You expecting them to draft another QB with a high draft choice will lead to you being disappointed because the evaluation of Allen won't be done after this season and he's definitely their guy.   

I agree with everything you've said here. I don't think there's any scenario besides a career ending injury that would make them consider QB with next years first. BUT WHAT IF Allen is as bad as Peterman for 15 straight weeks? I don't think that will happen, I hope Josh will succeed, but in that scenario I think it would be smart to take  a QB. Now whether the Bills actually would is another question.

17 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I agree with everything you've said here. I don't think there's any scenario besides a career ending injury that would make them consider QB with next years first. BUT WHAT IF Allen is as bad as Peterman for 15 straight weeks? I don't think that will happen, I hope Josh will succeed, but in that scenario I think it would be smart to take  a QB. Now whether the Bills actually would is another question.

He's obviously better than Peterman from a physical perspective and even at this early stage in his young career shows more poise with better decision making and play making ability when things break down as they often will with the current offensive talent he's playing with.  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

Unless Josh Allen produces 15 games as abominable as Nathan Peterman produced in his Chargers and Ravens starts- and maybe not even then- is this anything other than anti-Allen sentiment coached as some sort of good idea that "smart" teams do.

And let's abandon the silly notion, "Well, you can always just trade Allen to another team for a haul!"  Because teams aren't at all wary of players whose teams give up on them after one season despite investing a 1st & two 2nd's, plus a good LT, to trade up for and are absolutely willing to part with a king's ransom.

Allen may well bust but the Bills haven't provided him the context or the environment to fairly or accurately judge him.  A) 4/5th's of our offensive line shouldn't be starting and in time will not be, B) we also happen to own the league's worst collection of pass-receiving options (reminiscent of the Bears last year, which prompted substantial activity, like ours will too), and C) even the most ardent Allen supporters admitted that while he had awe-inspiring talent he still has a lot to learn and develop... and then we keep two QB's and the only other one literally produces the worst QB rating in any NFL player's first two career starts.

Edited by Midwest1981
  • Like (+1) 1

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, CuddyDark said:

They should draft one 2nd-7th round. They'll have to because they need a backup. Unless they sign a vet.

Targeting a 3-4 round QB would be ideal.

If Peterman is the backup next year.....................................

I don't even want to think about it.

I think the basis for a thread like this is that many of us believe Allen was a terrible pick. There's nothing in his football background to suggest he's ever going to be an elite quarterback. My personal opinion is that he won't even be a good one. When you hold that belief, you probably don't fully consider how tied this regime is to the guy. There will almost certainly be no second chances at QB for McBeane. Would LOVE to see JA prove me wrong.

Time will tell. 

The only thing that doesn’t make the OP crazy is the rookie salary cap. Even then, the event is very unlikely. First of all the bills would have to have a naturally high draft pick or have an easy path to getting one without giving up much. More importantly, for this to occur there has to be a generational prospect available. I don’t follow college football that closely. But I haven’t heard of any such prospect. 

If Allen truly bombs out to the point where it is clear by the end of the season that the Bills made a big mistake. They would likely seek out a somewhat if not moreso established free-agent quarterback. It’s going to be interesting!