Jon Gruden says He'll "Look at the Reasons Why" the Raiders Had No Pass Rush ?

26CornerBlitz

Just now, Augie said:

Peters was not nearly the player Mack was at the time. He was VERY good, but he was NOT Mack good. (And has never reached THIS level.) I’d have kept him, but that’s a decade ago, so what’s the point of even arguing?

Mack will cost about 11% of cap over the contract. Not bad for a top 3 defensive player in the league. A sure HOF player if he keeps it up. But you have a point, spend on the QB, the LT to defend him, and the DE to wreck him. Then go from there. I say build both lines and work out. 

You're the one debating the issue. And, comparing LTs to DEs is comparing apples to oranges.  

Both, at the time of their trade, were elite NFL players at hard to find positions.  

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure why there is so much Gruden hate. He got his players up for the game (unlike McD) and they hung in there against a SB favorite until late. 2 1sts for Mack from a bad team like the Bears (plus not having that monster contract) is an absolute steal. 

That Raiders squad played with more passion than I’ve seen from the Bills in 20 years.

6 hours ago, Paulus said:

Darbs is nowhere near the player mack is, but the guy has looked good. Dareus, too.

I mean, the Bills had no "Mack" to purge, but did purge some of our best. 

They purged a defensive tackle who was making 13 million dollars a year to not produce on the field and be a complete numb nuts off of it.  He hasn't made the pro bowl since he signed his huge contract, and has less sacks in the last three years combined than he did in his one monster year alone.

They purged a wideout who has averaged 2 catches for 32 yards a game since he left despite everyone in the world lining up to tell me how elite his talent level is.  The chiefs can go ahead and pay 14 million a year for that elite talent.

They purged a cornerback who has twice now been involved in covering up for a guy who can't seem to keep his unwanted hands off women.  I'll take the pick.

People want to look backwards like the Bills were loaded with talent.  Where did it get them? The answer is no where.  The Bills needed a QB and they did everything they could to get in line to bring one in.

Cannot believe we are still bemoaning the loss of defensive tackles, right cornerbacks and wideouts who don't produce.   You don't win super bowls with defensive tackles.  

• Like (+1) 1

Only because I watched each year Gruden in Tampa, I have one perspective.  Rich McKay and Dungy built one heck of a defense and serviceable offense.  Gruden did come in and won that SB, but his personnel decisions were terrible, and they were up and down for next several years.  He brought in a bunch of old guys, like he is doing now, benched one of our better RB’s in Alston, for a rotten QB, ran off McKay and had a figure head in Bruce.

He was good in Oakland and a good OC in Philly.  Now he has $100 million and Mark Davis doesn’t have the money to eat any of it.  He brought him to keep the fans happy until they get to Vegas.  He was good at ESPN, and will end up doing something like this again, after. He gets fired.  If he was under the control of a strong GM, he could probably do fine, b/c no GM would have let Mack go.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Augie said:

M debating nothing, just stating that Mack is a far superior player than Peters ever was, despite Peters being a stud. 

Peters is a two time All Pro and a nine time Pro Bowler who has come back twice from devastating injuries (Achilles and ACL).   In his prime, he was acknowledged as the best LT in the NFL, and even at the end of his career, he's still embarrassingly better than any OLer the Bills have ever had before or since.  He's one of the greatest LTs in the NFL since the merger.

Mack's a newbie compared to Peters.  When his career's finished, we'll see how he compares to the greatest DEs in the NFL since 1970.

Trading your best pass rusher and best player on the team because you and management did not think he was worth the cost of a new contract is why.   Sends a message to the team that, like it or not, you are not serious about having and paying top talent

12 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

You're amazing.  What you have been able to figure out from single games makes you the best analyst I have ever seen.

I’ve been around the guy going back well over a decade. Not only did I hear all the dirt when I lived near Tampa and he was the Bucs coach (he was despised by many of his own players who called him dishonest - that won’t last long), but I’ve been on the field with him while our sons used to play against each other. Entire weekends of 7 on 7’s.  I freely admit, I don’t like him personally. Almost everybody there who was paying attention would agree with me. Don’t talk trash about a 16-17 year old kid, right in front of that kid. 

So yeah, I don’t like him. Time will tell if he makes it all the way through that contract. I doubt it. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1