Jon Gruden says He'll "Look at the Reasons Why" the Raiders Had No Pass Rush ?

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

We purged a HOF player in his prime? 

Russ Brandon did in 2009 with Jason Peters.  

Mack wasn't playing this year despite being under contract. Oakland is a small market team and paying 2 players 25M per eats up a lot of cap with a number of other contracts coming due.  

Not many teams can afford a guy like Mack and a top QB.  Besides, teams aren't prioritizing defense at the expense of their offense and winning consistently. It's a methodology that doesn't work long term. 

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

Russ Brandon did in 2009 with Jason Peters.  

Mack wasn't playing this year despite being under contract. Oakland is a small market team and paying 2 players 25M per eats up a lot of cap with a number of other contracts coming due.  

Not many teams can afford a guy like Mack and a top QB.  Besides, teams aren't prioritizing defense at the expense of their offense and winning consistently. It's a methodology that doesn't work long term. 

Peters was not nearly the player Mack was at the time. He was VERY good, but he was NOT Mack good. (And has never reached THIS level.) I’d have kept him, but that’s a decade ago, so what’s the point of even arguing?

Mack will cost about 11% of cap over the contract. Not bad for a top 3 defensive player in the league. A sure HOF player if he keeps it up. But you have a point, spend on the QB, the LT to defend him, and the DE to wreck him. Then go from there. I say build both lines and work out. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Augie said:

We purged a HOF player in his prime? 

Darbs is nowhere near the player mack is, but the guy has looked good. Dareus, too.

I mean, the Bills had no "Mack" to purge, but did purge some of our best. 

Edited by Paulus

3 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Darbs is nowhere near the player mack is, but the guy has looked good. Dareus, too.

I mean, the Bills had no "Mack" to purge, but did purge some of our best. 

Really? We agree, no Mack on this roster. Darby we sold high, and he wasn’t a scheme fit. Dareus wasn’t a “I really want to play football” fit. Sadly, as he could have HOF potential. I hope he finds his fit in life, which is much more important than football. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Really? We agree, no Mack on this roster. Darby we sold high, and he wasn’t a scheme fit. Dareus wasn’t a “I really want to play football” fit. Sadly, as he could have HOF potential. I hope he finds his fit in life, which is much more important than football. 

At least the Raiders got more than we did for Peters. Man, that dude just got better after he left. Look at the guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

The deal made sense for both teams.  The Raiders are already paying Carr a franchise QB contract and you can't pay another non-qb a massive contract if you want to be competitive long term.  Getting two 1st rounders for Mack was probably the right move as you can now build around Carr.  It made sense to the Bears because Trubisky is on his rookie contract.  Same thing with the Rams shelling out big money on other positions with Goff on his rookie deal.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2