(meta): "thumbs-up" vs. "thanks"

BoccesOnTransit

I absolutely love the up-vote buttons that appear below posts. It's so cool to see rightful comments get a ton of love when a good point is made.

But, I'm a little confused about the "thumbs-up" vs "thanks" buttons.

When should one be used over the other?

Is "thanks" stronger than "thumbs-up"?

Also, does the "confused" button actually mean "confused"?

It would be nice if there was an explicit "thumbs-down" button for poor/lazy points.

IMO, the stackoverflow system is great since there is no ambiguity.

Thoughts?

PS: Thanks @SDS eternally for this superb site that I've visited daily for more than a decade.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, BoccesOnTransit said:

I absolutely love the up-vote buttons that appear below posts. It's so cool to see rightful comments get a ton of love when a good point is made.

It would be nice if there was an explicit "thumbs-down" button for poor/lazy points.

Thoughts?

PS: Thanks @SDS eternally for this superb site that I've visited daily for more than a decade.

To me, Thumbs-up would be "I agree". Thanks would be just that... "thanks" for the information/help. Is there a need for both? Maybe not.

stackoverflow's audience is a tad different than this one. 

32 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

that's what we have DC Tom for

Don't you mean his bot?

Also, on a side note about the buttons.  Every confused decreases the +rating listed next to the username by one. I'm not saying it matters, but I thought I'd throw that out there for those that track it.

Edited by nkreed
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, BoccesOnTransit said:

Thoughts?

Well, you can always quote the post and discuss your +/- view(s) on it. 

7 hours ago, nkreed said:

Don't you mean his bot?

Also, on a side note about the buttons.  Every confused decreases the +rating listed next to the username by one. I'm not saying it matters, but I thought I'd throw that out there for those that track it.

I just gave you the confused face and your number didn't change.

Edit: And then I changed it to the crying one and it still didn't change.

Edited by shrader

10 hours ago, nkreed said:

Don't you mean his bot?

That doesn’t seem logical. Sad or confused might be a legitimate reaction to a post. If somebody is sick or injured, I might hit the sad button.  If somebody comments on a strange call by the refs, I might hit the confused button.  It doesn’t reflect on the person who posted, rather it is a reaction to the information.

14 hours ago, SDS said:

To me, Thumbs-up would be "I agree". Thanks would be just that... "thanks" for the information/help. Is there a need for both? Maybe not.

stackoverflow's audience is a tad different than this one. 

I may be a little anal about these things, but I think there’s enough of a distinction between the Like and the Thanks/Wisdom option that I’m glad to have two options. No biggie, but a nice distinction to me.