The negativity from the fanbase is not a knee jerk reaction to week 1

3 hours ago, Chemical said:

Those of us who are negative all the time are right. We were right last year and the previous 17 years, and we are right this year. Is it a coincidence? Maybe, but everyone with rose colored glasses is has been and continues to be wrong. It's that black and white.

You might say "We made the playoffs last year!"  However, anyone who watched the team could tell they were completely inept on offense (and defense for a few games after trading Dareus) and had no chance at a superbowl (which is the goal of football in the NFL in case you forgot). So getting to kick a field goal in the playoffs only made us use draft capital to get the 3rd QB off the board. This draft capital was built by trading away talented YOUNG players at positions we currently desperately need help at.

The above paragraph describes the BEST season the Bills have had in the past 18 years.

This season it looks like they are the worst team in the league. Set up for the #1 overall pick. Which would have been great LAST YEAR. That way they could have used that draft capital on an offensive line and some WRs, and try to make the playoffs this year with their young QB. The irony is too painful to me and others on this board with half a brain. That is why we are negative. 

So I'm a little sick of hearing that we are being too negative after one bad game. It's not just one game. It's all the personnel moves (or lack thereof) that make no sense. It's the Jets-Chargers-Saints stretch last year. It's McDermott punting late in overtime against the Colts. It's a draw play on 3rd and 17 with a false start followed by a draw play on 3rd and 22 after the Ravens saw us attempt a draw play on 3rd and 17. It's the poor clock management, and it's the fact that despite the fact that they are in the second year of a "rebuild" they are the 2nd OLDEST team in the NFL.

i agree with most of this.  The bills roster does not look like a rebuilding team. It looks like an expansion team roster. I don't blame Beane. Whaley left behind crap.  Beane had to burn it down and start over. 

3 hours ago, Chemical said:

Those of us who are negative all the time are right. We were right last year and the previous 17 years, and we are right this year. Is it a coincidence? Maybe, but everyone with rose colored glasses is has been and continues to be wrong. It's that black and white.

You might say "We made the playoffs last year!"  However, anyone who watched the team could tell they were completely inept on offense (and defense for a few games after trading Dareus) and had no chance at a superbowl (which is the goal of football in the NFL in case you forgot). So getting to kick a field goal in the playoffs only made us use draft capital to get the 3rd QB off the board. This draft capital was built by trading away talented YOUNG players at positions we currently desperately need help at.

The above paragraph describes the BEST season the Bills have had in the past 18 years.

This season it looks like they are the worst team in the league. Set up for the #1 overall pick. Which would have been great LAST YEAR. That way they could have used that draft capital on an offensive line and some WRs, and try to make the playoffs this year with their young QB. The irony is too painful to me and others on this board with half a brain. That is why we are negative. 

So I'm a little sick of hearing that we are being too negative after one bad game. It's not just one game. It's all the personnel moves (or lack thereof) that make no sense. It's the Jets-Chargers-Saints stretch last year. It's McDermott punting late in overtime against the Colts. It's a draw play on 3rd and 17 with a false start followed by a draw play on 3rd and 22 after the Ravens saw us attempt a draw play on 3rd and 17. It's the poor clock management, and it's the fact that despite the fact that they are in the second year of a "rebuild" they are the 2nd OLDEST team in the NFL.

You werent right last year. Try again.

3 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

In fairness, if you are this frustrated maybe take a break from the team for a while?  It's going to probably get a lot worse before it gets better.

How can you seriously suggest this?  What fan of a sports team takes a break?  That is really **** advice IMO.

If you're not a Kool-Aid drinker take a break from the team?  wat?

Edited by PeterDude
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I stopped reading after this sentence, which happened to be your first, then I knew it was completed BS

Isn't it Ed Oliver?  I could be wrong, but I don't think I am

you sound like a woman on her period.  Here...Image result for midol

I have no idea why autocorrect changed the name from Ed to Nate.

I didn't notice it, but it makes no sense. I KNOW the kids name is Ed Oliver. 

4 minutes ago, Chemical said:

They were not a good team last year

The last time they were a good team was the season before rex Ryan.  That team had a great defense.  All we needed was a serviceable offense and we xould have made a splash.

Enter rex and his convuluted defensive scheme and that team was gone instantly.  The rest brings us to now - the first time we have a reason to hope again - hope for the drafts and cap space to really get us going with the young talent we have on hand today. 

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Here’s my beef... 

What does all the crying and whining accomplish? 

If some members are soooooo smart about the direction of this team why are you working 9-5’s or hanging in moms basement? Shouldn’t you be climbing the scouting ladder and working your way into the nfl? 

We are ALL unqualified nfl talent evaluators.

There are 32 coaches and 32 gm’s. Who are we to criticize and beg for firings in year 2 of a massive project? 

I’m as bummed out and disappointed as anyone by the ONE game we played. I was one of those who expected more from Nate, certainly expected more from the defense. 

However I’m not on here arguing and crying about the state of the team. 

It is what it is, accept the “process” and cheer for your team or go find a new team. I hear the pats and cowboys have room on their massive bandwagons 

You do realize that NFL coaching, scouts, and front offices are full of guys that are meatheads where many played the game and loved being around the game, but aren't exactly geniuses, right?  Fans that pay attention aren't at all incapable of making better calls on personnel than the guys in the NFL coaching and FO positions, they are just in no position to ever be hired because they have never been involved in the game anywhere near the pro level and the avenues for people to get into any part of an NFL organization are very limited unless you have some exposure to an organization as a player or part of a coaching staff at some level.  I've always hated that rationalization for people in the NFL know more than the fans (on average maybe, but not all fans) - they are not infinitely more knowledgeable and they have far more resources to evaluate players - but yet they still make horrible decisions that are predictably bad.  The amount of egotistical behavior from these GMs and FO people is amusing to some degree, but they certainly buy into believing they have a golden touch and know better than everyone else.

For example, people who are fans of FSU and the Bills see a guy like EJ Manuel get drafted in the first round and they know what a dumb decision that is off the bat, absolutely laughable to someone watching him play thoughout his career, but you understand how someone who didn't do their homework enough could be fooled. This happens all the time - scouting isn't nearly as thorough as people believe and draft boards aren't even close to as polished and vetted as people believe them to be - teams regularly go off the rails of the board during the draft based on hunches and hasty decisions. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

If the Bills lost that game 28-20.  Im very content right now.  As I said earlier in the thread, I was counting on 4-6 wins, and fine with it.   Sunday's game was a complete failure

I get this 100% and its how I've felt. I don't want to completely just throw the bathwater out either, but I will say Sunday was the first time I've have had to ask myself a some tough questions about McBeane and their decision making. Long term perhaps adding a solid WR and OL doesn't matter, but I would've rather insulated my rookie QB who will start very sooner then later with one of each compared to this crap.

In regards to trades and moves etc... don't go down that road yet. We will not know until the end of the 2019-20 season how to grade anything for real. During the season its such an up and down feeling on player moves/trades etc.. its tough to view things in perspective. Right now not including Allen they seem to have a nice core on defense of Milano, Edmunds, White, Hyde, & Harrison. It true they need a powerful DE rusher and OLB rusher but overall that is a nice core that is pretty cheap on D. The offense we unfortunately just have to wait which determines so much more. They invested a ton into defense early on and truthfully only have Allen, Jones, & Dawkins. Dawkins looks legit, Allen is unknown, Jones not so good. For all we know Allen comes in and turns the backhalf of the season on fire, they add a guy like Randall Cobb, and a solid OL or two and were sitting here waiting like crazy for 2019 to go... OR it just keeps being a tire fire. I wish they had been more aggressive to this point but it is what it is. Skepticism is cool right now I am with you, we just have to wait on the rest which is the hardest part (cue Tom Petty).

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

There are 32 coaches and 32 gm’s. Who are we to criticize and beg for firings in year 2 of a massive project?

Ermmmm..... we're customers of a commercial product?  A product that appears massively unsatisfactory?

Was this a trick question?

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

If the Bills lost that game 28-20.  Im very content right now.  As I said earlier in the thread, I was counting on 4-6 wins, and fine with it.   Sunday's game was a complete failure

Oh, heck, I'd even go for 28-7 or something like that, provided there were signs of competent football being played.  You know, moving the ball on offense, stopping the other team on defense, a couple of unfortunate mistakes that led to a couple of scores - it happens.

This was an epic beat-down of nearly unprecedented scope, so a board meltdown of serious scope is inevitable.

4 hours ago, BeefCurtns said:

Holy crap man. Someone bring this guy a Waaahburger and some french cries.

I think it's past that point.  Send the Waaambulance!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chemical said:

That’s one thing that irked me (among many other things) that McDermott said in his Monday Press Conference. 

That the Bills are a “young team” and the Ravens game was a “learning” opportunity. 

My biggest problem with McDermott and Beane is their mindset. They approach the game like Dick Jauron and Doug Marrone, ultra conservative. McDermott uses the same phrases as those two guys. Study the tape, earning the right to win, work hard. 

And what does that look like on Sundays? A punt is good because it improves field position, you keep Mike Tolbert as your primary backup because he plays Special Teams, you trade for Kelvin Benjamin because “he’s open when he’s not open”, you trade up for a possession receiver in Zay Jones, your goal is to keep things in 3rd and manageable, you kick FGs when you’re down by 40.

McDermott is Dick Jauron. Wait for other teams to make a mistake so you can sit on a lead and squeak wins out 17-14. 

Beane isnt going to build a modern, explosive offense. They just had to have their Cam Newton. Just so the rocket armed QB can hand off to 30 year old running backs and dump off to Logan Thomas. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, unclepete said:

Once again, what move has this coaching staff or front office made to instill confidence in the fan base? It seems every decision has been wrong. Every trade hasn't worked out. We have every right to be concerned.

The took a 7-9 team from 2016 and turned it into a 9-7 team in 2017.  Pretty much unheard of in the NFL. 

• Haha (+1) 2

McBeane is just getting the Jauron realization that it's hard to win in the NFL. They had everything fall their way last year. They may have actually believed, I doubt it, but maybe, that purging your talent and replacing them with JAGs would not see a big drop off. It has. I think they are both genuinely shocked that we suck as bad as we do. All that said, it doesn't mean the bigger picture plan they have is wrong. We all knew in our heart this team was taking a step back this year, but we were at peace with it. If Allen worked out, it would be worth it. What we don't have peace with is getting humiliated like we did at Cincy and on Sunday. There's only so much tolerance for that, so McBeane needs to at least make us respectable. Sunday is going to be huge. Moreover, if Allen isn't the guy, McBeane will be toast.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

That’s one thing that irked me (among many other things) that McDermott said in his Monday Press Conference. 

That the Bills are a “young team” and the Ravens game was a “learning” opportunity. 

My biggest problem with McDermott and Beane is their mindset. They approach the game like Dick Jauron and Doug Marrone, ultra conservative. McDermott uses the same phrases as those two guys. Study the tape, earning the right to win, work hard. 

And what does that look like on Sundays? A punt is good because it improves field position, you keep Mike Tolbert as your primary backup because he plays Special Teams, you trade for Kelvin Benjamin because “he’s open when he’s not open”, you trade up for a possession receiver in Zay Jones, your goal is to keep things in 3rd and manageable, you kick FGs when you’re down by 40.

McDermott is Dick Jauron. Wait for other teams to make a mistake so you can sit on a lead and squeak wins out 17-14. 

Beane isnt going to build a modern, explosive offense. They just had to have their Cam Newton. Just so the rocket armed QB can hand off to 30 year old running backs and dump off to Logan Thomas. 

Thank you for at least expressing your feelings in a way that it could be understood and respond.....wish more posts were like this.

I just think its early to know what this team is going to look like when Beane and McD go into next year with their cap space/draft picks ammo.....really felt that we were conservative on our free agents because we had to be.....I very much liked our draft but rookies do make mistakes.....

One thing I will say....I saw very little difference in DL play between Star and Horrible Harry when I went back and watched the tape......and I think that is going to mean something as this season goes on.   Harrison Phillips is going to get better with playing time and Star better keep up.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ermmmm..... we're customers of a commercial product?  A product that appears massively unsatisfactory?

Was this a trick question?

And like every consumer you're more than welcome to find a new product (team) if you are unsatisfied with what you have purchased(watch).

Edited by The Wiz

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Here’s my beef... 

What does all the crying and whining accomplish? 

If some members are soooooo smart about the direction of this team why are you working 9-5’s or hanging in moms basement? Shouldn’t you be climbing the scouting ladder and working your way into the nfl? 

We are ALL unqualified nfl talent evaluators.

I’m as bummed out and disappointed as anyone by the ONE game we played. I was one of those who expected more from Nate, certainly expected more from the defense. 

However I’m not on here arguing and crying about the state of the team. 

It is what it is, accept the “process” and cheer for your team or go find a new team. I hear the pats and cowboys have room on their massive bandwagons 

No point in crying and arguing i agree there.  We can have adult conversations with differing view points.  At the sametime though Fans have a right to be upset with their team...every fan base does it.  So saying they can go find a new team is dumb we are all fans thats why we are here.  Its been a rough go for the Bills for many years...i can understand people blowing off a little steam on here.