Bills vs. Ravens All-22 Coaches Film Reviews

26CornerBlitz

Thanks crew - best thread on the board.  You get SO much insight from these videos - especially the Cover 1 with call outs and slow downs.

Guess I feel *slightly* better about this team, will be interesting to see if they can fit up some of these gaps, so to speak.  And please, find that O line help!

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Castillo is going to get McDermott fired.

Castillo is going to get our QB killed. 

If I'm right on the head-bob, WTF man?  I mean I know in a loud stadium, it's customary to use a physical signal, but it's usually more subtle, like the guard gets a signal, taps the center, and the center goes a fixed count after he gets the tap.

No wonder teams are keying off on us, JFC

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

Hm. So maybe the hysteria over the ol and wr is unwarranted? Interesting!

I think it's warranted.  The OL is just bad.  Part of it seems to be scheme - these guys don't seem to have the agility and quickness they're being asked to display (see a couple of Cover1's breakdowns) against top DL at NFL regular season speed.   They're tripping over each other when they're not getting knocked down.

The WR may be getting more separation, but the routes are sometimes sloppy and when the ball comes their way, they don't fight for contested catches (or make uncontested ones)

I keep seeing this obvious head bob from Groy right before the snap which looks like a huge "tell" to me and would explain why it seems DL are getting a jump on us.  You can't Do that.  As I recall the Carolina center in the Denver-Carolina superbowl did something similar, so maybe that's why McDermott thinks it's OK, but Carolina's line got slaughtered in that game.  Low Slerner?

20 hours ago, NextYear'sTheOne said:

Ryan Groy is bad. I thought he was far better than he's playing because I remember him filling in admirably for Eric when he broke his leg. But after watching his performance Sunday and vs the Bengals it is obvious: he is bad. He's on his belly/back far more than one would hope/expect. 

Which means Bodine must be just as bad if not worse if you still start Groy after performances like this. 

While I'm on the subject of bad... K.B. Dear god bud. I don't feel as though I need to elaborate as most of us have watched him "play" recently.  

That was in 2016, right? With Kromer as OL coach, a different scheme that appears more suited to the players, and flanked by 'Cog and Miller?

Where OL is concerned, scheme matters; coaching matters; who you're next to matters.

Bodine is not a clear upgrade.  Both of them are capable of being manhandled onto their a**.  But they both appear to be being asked to execute a blocking scheme that they simply aren't agile and quick enough to pull off.

4 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Is that really necessary?

I think it's accurate.  If McDermott watched Carolina's OL get slaughtered in the Superbowl when their center had an obvious tell, watched our line get shoved around in the 3rd game of preseason when the center had an obvious tell, and the center still has an obvious tell, what would you call him if not "slow learner" in the Capitol Steps fashion?  Speedy McSpeedycakes?  (BTW, bad form to excise all context from a comment and then complain about it.  Leave the context)

You may disagree about the 'tell' or the assessment (maybe I'm wrong), but it's hard to disagree with the conclusion given the assessment, or call it unnecessary.

as for the OL, from what I saw, they did a much better job than against Cincinnati in preseason, but peterman was just bad...gunshy to the extreme.

I disagree on the OL - in the Bengals game, Allen was not making quick decisions and getting the ball out on time IMO.   I'm not sure I'd describe Peterman as "gunshy to the extreme".  On the contrary, go back and look at the clip on one of his INTs - he stands in and makes the throw in the face of a charging unblocked blitzer so close that he can't step into the throw and place it accurately.  That was a "Hero Ball" throw into tight coverage.  IMO of course.

11 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

Not going to argue with you since you’re a moderator, but I think you know that kind of thing happens all the time here.

You could address my point about the OL that led me to make that comment you found unnecessary.

PS The mod thing doesn't stop anyone else.  Might slow 'em down slightly.  I don't bite folks for disagreeing on football.

6 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

I can’t say I noticed a tell. Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, but I didn’t notice it

Look at his head.  He seems to be bobbing his head, the same count before the snap, every snap where I could see it.  I know they need a silent count, but you can't do something that regular and obvious in the NFL.    Most teams use the guard tapping the center, or snap a variable amount of time from the QB foot signal or the like to my understanding.  Maybe I'm wrong.

OK, I was just given Game Pass as a birthday present so I've started to grind my way through. 

Partly I just want to bump this thread since I think it's overall one of the best on here, but a few observations for the little they're worth. Cover1 I'm not.

1st series Ravens: I was better pleased with our D than I expected to be.  I saw some guys FLYING around making tackles - one play where Horrible Harry disengaged, ran 10 yards to his left, and stuffed the run.  That made me SMILE.  But we're a 2/3 defense right now, by which I mean we'll have on average, 2 good plays and then a breakdown which moves the chains.  Systematically, we're leaving a ton of space for short to intermediate passes over the middle, and it looks like it's scheme design.   Flacco surgically dissected it.   If that doesn't get fixed, our D had better hit the aerobic conditioning hard because they're gonna spend a lot of time on the field being marched down it.

1st series Bills:  D1. McCoy right into a knot of linemen.  I couldn't tell exactly what the scheme on the play was supposed to be; whatever deceptive motion the Ravens were supposed to bite on, they didn't.

D2.  McCoy gets pancaked in the backfield by Suggs.  I didn't know that was legal.  All the WR on the L side of the field are blocking by then .  Peterman throws it away. 

D3.  I put this one on Peterman.  He has what looks like a clear lane to step up in the pocket and buy time to hit WR coming open on the R side, but he holds his pose and fails to step up until it's too late.

2nd series Ravens: I give props to our D.  They DID, in fact, achieve a 3 and out.  They "did their job"

2nd series Bills: 1D.  On TV I thought Mosley may have got a hand on it, but on all-22 it looks like a catchable ball for Kerley, and he thought so too at the time.

2D. Pass to Kerley in the backfield that works - kinda.  Suggs and Wormley don't bite on the fake handoff.  Kerley heads for the sideline instead.  He might have made more yards turning upfield.  Or he might have gotten knocked into next week by Suggs and fumbled.  No telling.

3D. It looks to me as though Peterman is looking for Benjamin all the way.  Overthrow.  There might be a WR open over the middle, but I don't think Peterman even glanced anywhere else.  Shady is also open with room around him and might have gotten the first.  Maybe Peterman had orders to throw it deep?  Or maybe he fixated.

The OL gives Peterman time to make the throws on all 3 downs this series.

I was wrong about what's going on with Groy's head-bob.  Miller is watching Peterman then tapping Groy on the leg to signal the snap in a more typical NFL OL signal, but Groy drops his head and looks back at Peterman before he snaps the ball. It still seems a clear "tell" that is letting the D get a jump on the snap. 

• Like (+1) 1

3rd series Ravens: Good play on 1D and 2D.  The back-breaker on 3D is Taron Johnson's pointless defensive PI on a way overthrown ball.

1D: Jerry Hughes turns on the afterburner and chases down Jackson on the gadget play like a bulldozer chasing a cowdozer.  Jordan Poyer is actually closer to making a reception than the Raven is, and I would have liked to see him try.

2D: at this point it becomes painful.  The Bills stuff a few runs and short passes, but sell out the intermediate stuff as noted.  Flacco surgically dissects us.  Ugh.

3rd series Bills:       1D: holding call on Newhouse adds insult to a busted play.  I can't even tell what the blocking is supposed to look like.  Ducasse is pulling to the right but seems wy too far ahead of McCoy, who cuts back to the left trying to avoid an unblocked Judon.   DiMarco maybe has that assignment? but on the way, seems to trip over and shove Urban whom Newhouse is blocking.  Urban then falls down with Newhouse on top of him, leading to a holding call.  Maybe I'm not diagnosing it all correctly, but it was a freakin' mess for sure.  It looked like the Keystone Kops back there.

1D&20: an obvious passing down and the Ravens are revving their engines.  The playcall features Kerley in motion across the backfield at the snap, a fake handoff to McCoy, and Ducasse sliding right while Groy and Miller sliding left.   Ducasse and Groy may possibly get their feet tangled, but Groy never gets a proper position for leverage on Wormley, who winds up leaping  Groy's prone ass into Peterman's face as he completes the handoff fakery.  Someone may be open downfield but it's a total moot point by then.

And I'll stop there.  IMHO, from watching this, the blocking scheme is a lot of what's wrong with the OL.  These guys are just not nimble and clean-footed enough for what they're being asked to do (or they haven't practiced it enough for it to be second nature), and Peterman/the OL were being asked to futz around in a situation where futzing deceived no one on D.  A straightforward pass play with a TE and back kept in to help block might have a shot for success, or the fastest option (actually giving the ball to Kerley perhaps).   Assuming Daboll is dialing these schemes up, he is being too cute and outsmarting himself. 

KISS, baby, KISS. 

Make Groy clean up his tells, stop asking him and Ducasse to do OL acrobatics, simplify.  Keep the OL clean, and they'll keep the QB clean.  Maybe.

• Like (+1) 1