"A couple of plays/throws he'd like to have back" and other press conference complaints

The Bills Blog

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

It is only Year 2 of McDermott and I want to punch myself in the face every time he says this -- multiple times when discussing every game. It's his universal way of saying that a player sucked -- without actually saying it.

Other complaints about McD press conferences:

Why doesn't the Buffalo media collectively grow a pair and ask him some tough, direct questions? Frustrate him. Make him uncomfortable. I think they're too worried about their ongoing relationship with him, so they don't ask questions like:

* Coach, why are receivers consistently wide open in the middle of the field? What are you going to do to fix it?

* Why didn't you put Josh Allen in for a Hail Mary from the 45 on the last play of the half? Why?

* Why did you run a draw play on the final play of the game instead of letting Josh Allen throw the ball to the end zone?

* Explain why you punted after the game was already lost and you were in four-down territory.

* Explain how Kyle Williams helps your defense ON THE FIELD.

* Nathan Peterman is the only quarterback in NFL history to throw five interceptions in a half. Also, the Ravens for the first time in franchise history held their opponent (you) to zero first downs in the first half. Don't you think that tells you something about Peterman?

The media dances around every question and has this disgusting air of unearned respect/borderline sympathy. Ask the fu*king questions the fans want the answers to.

It's like you've never seen a sports press conference in your life.

Reporter "Coach, how important was it for your team to get in a rhythm and put up some points before the half?"

Coach "It was really important. It's always a good thing to go into the half on a positive note, and we have to carry that momentum over into the second half"

Every.interview.ever.

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, White Linen said:

It's not prudent for the head coach to act as frustrated as fans or as he may feel.  

He's earned the benefit of the doubt from me for last years performance.  When we traded Sammy, Dareus and Darby - I thought we would be among the worst teams in the league.  On paper, I think we were but he did one heck of a job.  We were a team that needed to add talent without a ton of cap space and then Wood and Incognito unexpectedly left.  That's is something extremely difficult to over come.  

I will say that so far the Star and Murphy signings seem like two mistakes.   Hey we're a team with a lot of holes and a ton of cap space coming.  Let's see what they do with a high pick and the money.  I'd be much more concerned if this was nearing the end of their decisions to build the team - the facts are that's it's just the beginning.  

Did you watch the games?  For three games in the middle of the season, they were the worst team in the league.  And McD made it worse with benching TT

25 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Last years schedule set up perfectly.   People underestimate that aspect of things.  A huge part of the Patriots dominance is the 5 wins minimum the afce opponents give them each year.     Bills did not have many quality wins last year.  We struggled a lot against good teams. 

gotta love the struggles to fit fans narrative's

Now we are explaining why we made the playoffs lol

44 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I disagree that anyone can know that McDermott is doing a bad job. 

EVERYONE agrees that the Bills have limited talent.   They did last season, too.  McDermott went 9-7 with that talent last season.   He didn't become an idiot in the past eight months.  

People have been complaining about how bad the talent is for months around here.  Then this supposedly undertalented team gets blown out and suddenly it's the coach's fault.  

This team fell apart mid=season last year, and McDermott pulled them together.  It was a magnificent job.   The Bills lose one this season and you guys think he's a failure.   It's a long season.   

The fact that people are disappointed with the team doesn't mean we should throw all rationality out the window.  

you must be new around here :)

11 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Did you watch the games?  For three games in the middle of the season, they were the worst team in the league.  And McD made it worse with benching TT

Yet they made the playoffs.  Not a bad "turn around" for being the worst team in the NFL for a stretch - almost coach of the year worthy!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

Another thing that bothered me is he said the roster is much better now than when he inherited it.

I think that's clearly false.

Are you referring to this?...

"We continue to build this thing the right way, and do our things at the right time. So, if you do things the right way, and make the right decisions, usually good things happen in the course of time, and that’s the same with this roster. We’re building this thing in a certain manner, like I said just in the second year to get this thing going, and to get this thing done the right way for the future."

My impression is that McD thinks he and Beane are taking the right steps to build a better roster.  That doesn't necessarily mean this is right now a better roster.  

Remember we're in Cap Hell this year.  The Bills are #32 in current player salaries.  If roster spending is reflective of roster talent, we're fielding the worst group of players in the league.  Realistically, there's only so much the coaches can do.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I disagree that anyone can know that McDermott is doing a bad job. 

EVERYONE agrees that the Bills have limited talent.   They did last season, too.  McDermott went 9-7 with that talent last season.   He didn't become an idiot in the past eight months.  

People have been complaining about how bad the talent is for months around here.  Then this supposedly undertalented team gets blown out and suddenly it's the coach's fault.  

This team fell apart mid=season last year, and McDermott pulled them together.  It was a magnificent job.   The Bills lose one this season and you guys think he's a failure.   It's a long season.   

The fact that people are disappointed with the team doesn't mean we should throw all rationality out the window.  

Naht rationality, just Nate. Ha!

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Yeah because Tyrod would have lit up the chargers.  

Yes I watched the games and I saw a team with less talent than most of their opponents go 9-7.  He deserves credit for that.  

10 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Another thing that bothered me is he said the roster is much better now than when he inherited it.

I heard that and was just astonished. I really think this guy is just amazingly arrogant. How he can say that is beyond me

2 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I'd rather employ a HC who gives refreshing answers and insight but I don't get why people even listen to these pressers. What are you going to gain from it? They all do coach speak and take themselves too serious. 

I'd rather employ a coach who's smart.  

McDermott knows that holding press conferences is a requirement of his job but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the success of his team.  He knows there's only downside in press conferences, so he's decided to say nothing in them.  

He's all smart enough to know that he's relatively inexperienced in press relations and that if he succeeds in his job and makes the Bills a winner, he will learn more about how to handle the press.  Then he may begin say something of more substance.   Until then, he has enough trouble on the field; he doesn't need to add to it by getting the press riled up saying "yes, but last week you said 'blah, blah' and now you're saying 'bluh, bluh.''"

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'd rather employ a coach who's smart.  

McDermott knows that holding press conferences is a requirement of his job but it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the success of his team.  He knows there's only downside in press conferences, so he's decided to say nothing in them.  

He's all smart enough to know that he's relatively inexperienced in press relations and that if he succeeds in his job and makes the Bills a winner, he will learn more about how to handle the press.  Then he may begin say something of more substance.   Until then, he has enough trouble on the field; he doesn't need to add to it by getting the press riled up saying "yes, but last week you said 'blah, blah' and now you're saying 'bluh, bluh.''"

Which is why I don't mind. I generally tune out of these pressers anyway and I suggest everyone else does too. It's cliche coach speak. Why waste time on it? LOL!

10 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

No, it's not clearly false.   You just aren't listening. 

McBeane have been very clear, completely clear, so clear that anyone with a brain couldn't possibly miss it:   As far as they are concerned, the most important quality in any player is character.   Is the guy a good teammate?  Is the guy an intense competitor?   Does the guy have values?  Is the guy about football 24-7-365.  If the answers to those questions are "no," McBeane don't care how big the guy is, how fast he, how high he can jump.   From that standpoint, McDermott probably does believe that his roster is better than it was when he got to Buffalo.   The two most obvious examples are Waatkins and Dareus.  They had demonstrated over and over, before McDermott came to Buffalo and after, that they weren't true team guys - they believed in their talent, not their teammates.  

You may not agree with that approach, but that is how McBeane approach roster building.   

2 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Which is why I don't mind. I generally tune out of these pressers anyway and I suggest everyone else does too. It's cliche coach speak. Why waste time on it? LOL!

Oh, I misunderstood.   You're where I am; that is, you want a coach who wins, and if you have one who wins, you'd rather that he said something interesting in the press conferences.   I agree with that completely.   Last season I stopped paying much attention to McDermott's post-game press conferences.  

Once in a while in the off-season, on the other hand, he actually does say some interesting things.  

Beane is amazingly open in his pressers.  He's worth listening to.  

You do not change people's inherent personalities just because they happen to be NFL head coaches.  Gruden is more bombastic because that's who he is, and rex was the same kind of personality.  McD is the kind of guy that is quiet, contemplative, and information driven.  He is not going to light up press conferences because he's not that type of person. 

I am old enough to remember the Packers-Cowboys clashes in the 60's.  Lombardi and Landry.  Two completely different personalities.  Both tremendously successful head coaches. 

• Like (+1) 1

"What body of work has Peterman shown you to get the start? Are you aware your career takes a nosedive every time you show you are the only NFL coach that would start him in any situation? Sir. SIR. Answer my question stop sidestepping!"

//Bills 1984 media team thoughtpolice drags me out.. this man is clearly crazy please resume the PC

38 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I heard that and was just astonished. I really think this guy is just amazingly arrogant. How he can say that is beyond me

If he honestly believes that.. he's narcissistic and insanse. Only works for coaches and GMs that *ahem* actually know what they're doing

40 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

If he honestly believes that.. he's narcissistic and insanse. Only works for coaches and GMs that *ahem* actually know what they're doing

8 hours ago, White Linen said:

Yeah because Tyrod would have lit up the chargers.  

Yes I watched the games and I saw a team with less talent than most of their opponents go 9-7.  He deserves credit for that.  

Tyrod is just better than Peterman. Would he have lit up the Chargers? No. Did we start our best team in the thick of the playoff hunt? Hell no.

42 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

No, it's not clearly false.   You just aren't listening. 

McBeane have been very clear, completely clear, so clear that anyone with a brain couldn't possibly miss it:   As far as they are concerned, the most important quality in any player is character.   Is the guy a good teammate?  Is the guy an intense competitor?   Does the guy have values?  Is the guy about football 24-7-365.  If the answers to those questions are "no," McBeane don't care how big the guy is, how fast he, how high he can jump.   From that standpoint, McDermott probably does believe that his roster is better than it was when he got to Buffalo.   The two most obvious examples are Waatkins and Dareus.  They had demonstrated over and over, before McDermott came to Buffalo and after, that they weren't true team guys - they believed in their talent, not their teammates.  

You may not agree with that approach, but that is how McBeane approach roster building.   ...

:sheesh:

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Oh, my.  It's begun.  

Not sure it has begun.  Its more that there are many people, including myself, who have never bought into this GM or Coach.  I didnt like either hire, but seeing they really didn’t have a track record, waited to see what they do.  We now have enough track record to have an opinion on how they are doing.