"A couple of plays/throws he'd like to have back" and other press conference complaints

The Bills Blog

6 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Not sure it has begun.  Its more that there are many people, including myself, who have never bought into this GM or Coach.  I didnt like either hire, but seeing they really didn’t have a track record, waited to see what they do.  We now have enough track record to have an opinion on how they are doing.  

Like making the playoffs their first year

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

No, it's not clearly false.   You just aren't listening. 

McBeane have been very clear, completely clear, so clear that anyone with a brain couldn't possibly miss it:   As far as they are concerned, the most important quality in any player is character.   Is the guy a good teammate?  Is the guy an intense competitor?   Does the guy have values?  Is the guy about football 24-7-365.  If the answers to those questions are "no," McBeane don't care how big the guy is, how fast he, how high he can jump.   From that standpoint, McDermott probably does believe that his roster is better than it was when he got to Buffalo.   The two most obvious examples are Waatkins and Dareus.  They had demonstrated over and over, before McDermott came to Buffalo and after, that they weren't true team guys - they believed in their talent, not their teammates.  

You may not agree with that approach, but that is how McBeane approach roster building.   

Oh, I misunderstood.   You're where I am; that is, you want a coach who wins, and if you have one who wins, you'd rather that he said something interesting in the press conferences.   I agree with that completely.   Last season I stopped paying much attention to McDermott's post-game press conferences.  

Once in a while in the off-season, on the other hand, he actually does say some interesting things.  

Beane is amazingly open in his pressers.  He's worth listening to.  

I actually agree with this.  Faith, family and football is their thing.  Is it possible that they love Peterman so much because he is such an huge, outspoken evangelical Christian?  Hot take, yes.  Far fetched based on what they have said and done since taking over, I don’t think so.  They want their “type” of guys on team, and clearly character and Christianity is a core belief of that.

Edited by Billsflyer12

8 hours ago, White Linen said:

26 minutes ago, Foxx said:

:sheesh:

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

McBeane have been very clear, completely clear, so clear that anyone with a brain couldn't possibly miss it:   As far as they are concerned, the most important quality in any player is character.   Is the guy a good teammate?  Is the guy an intense competitor?   Does the guy have values?  Is the guy about football 24-7-365.  If the answers to those questions are "no," McBeane don't care how big the guy is, how fast he, how high he can jump.   From that standpoint, McDermott probably does believe that his roster is better than it was when he got to Buffalo.   The two most obvious examples are Waatkins and Dareus.  They had demonstrated over and over, before McDermott came to Buffalo and after, that they weren't true team guys - they believed in their talent, not their teammates.  

I don't care if by his definition he's done a bangup job. By my definition: players with tangibles and intangibles that lead to winning... It doesn't look good Bob.

I guess our pea brains can't get around the fact that McD just redefined what makes a good roster, that apparently the rest of the league is too dumb to know our best kept secret. Is Beane's definition of a good roster how many people eat raisin Bran for breakfast? Cause he might have the BEST ROSTER OF ALL TIME by his definition lol.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Like making the playoffs their first year

Making playoffs last year while fun, maybe one of the worst things to happen to this franchise LONG term.  The last years team was not a good team, got lucky to get in and created this sense that McBeene can do no wrong with a large segment of fan base.

Just now, Billsflyer12 said:

Making playoffs last year while fun, maybe one of the worst things to happen to this franchise LONG term.  The last years team was not a good team, got lucky to get in and created this sense that McBeene can do no wrong with a large segment of fan base.

The hyperbolic nonsense on this board gets so tiring at times.  How many people here think they can do no wrong?  few if any.  But when you say they have enough of a trak record to know what they'll do, and ignore that a part of their track record was a team making the playoffs last year, it just gets ridiculous.

They have made good moves and bad moves.  They have a plan in place to make what they think is a long term contender.  Criticixe all you want about the one game on Sunday, but don't make that into a complete indictment.  They had three terrible games in a row last year and the same coach rallied them to where?  Oh yes, the playoffs.

20 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The hyperbolic nonsense on this board gets so tiring at times.  How many people here think they can do no wrong?  few if any.  But when you say they have enough of a trak record to know what they'll do, and ignore that a part of their track record was a team making the playoffs last year, it just gets ridiculous.

They have made good moves and bad moves.  They have a plan in place to make what they think is a long term contender.  Criticixe all you want about the one game on Sunday, but don't make that into a complete indictment.  They had three terrible games in a row last year and the same coach rallied them to where?  Oh yes, the playoffs.

So there have not been enough moves, games and actions for me to have an opinion on their plan?  If so, how many moves, games and actions must they complete for me to have ANY opinions on their plan?

Speaking of hyperbolic, there is a 10 page thread on if you hate the Bills, why are you here.  So opinions that don’t fall into proper Bills messaging and fandom make us not supporters.  I think the hyperbolic statements come largely, not completely, from Bills blinder type fans.

Edited by Billsflyer12

31 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Absolutely.

McDermott loves Peterman a little too much because of his religion. I don't doubt that one bit and it should have NO place in fielding a football team. 

How do you know Nate’s preferences? I agree it shouldn’t make one player more appealing than another. Are all the new signings men of faith? 

You keep throwing it around loosely, if the majority of guys leaving town aren’t Christians and all the ones coming in are...then the discussion would be worth having. I’m not sure where/how to find that information unless the player is outspoken and it’s coming from an interview etc.

12 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Another thing that bothered me is he said the roster is much better now than when he inherited it.

I think that's clearly false.

You want Reggie Ragland back?

Some of the cuts/trades were cap based which is just a reality.  They did not inherit a good situation there.  Of all the players gone, none of them produced commensurate with their hit except we still could have had Watkins cheap.  Darby is a good player in other schemes.  Dareus, Brown, Washington are all addition by subtraction.  

We've added a first round QB, almost an entire secondary and parts of a real, non-Rex joke, front 7.  Obviously there is more to do.

21 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

So there have not been enough moves, games and actions for me to have an opinion on their plan?  If so, how many moves, games and actions must they complete for me to have ANY opinions on their plan?

Speaking of hyperbolic, there is a 10 page thread on if you hate the Bills, why are you here.  So opinions that don’t fall into proper Bills messaging and fandom make us not supporters.  I think the hyperbolic statements come largely, not completely, from Bills blinder type fans.

You are yet another one that did not read my thread.  My question was simply this:  for those who can only post negative  things about the Bills, then why are they here?  What is their motivation for doing so?  Not that you are not allowed to express opinions.  But when all your opinions are negative, what motivates you to be on a Bills website.  And of course you completely misconstrue that.

Your opinion is they have a bad plan.  Yet you couch it in the some think they can do no wrong schtick, as if that truly exists around here.  That is what gets tiring. 

They stunk Sunday.  No question.  Does that mean their plan is moot?  No.  They made the playoffs last year, and yet you think that was bad.  Explain that.

Hah, the moment Buffalo reporters ask tough questions and holds the team accountable the fans whine how much they hate said reporter and how all they ever do is spout sour grapes.

Bills fans don't want to be told how bad the team is, they want somebody to sugar coat it and tell them everything will get better...eventually.

Edited by MDH

13 hours ago, White Linen said:

It's not prudent for the head coach to act as frustrated as fans or as he may feel.  

He's earned the benefit of the doubt from me for last years performance.  When we traded Sammy, Dareus and Darby - I thought we would be among the worst teams in the league.  On paper, I think we were but he did one heck of a job.  We were a team that needed to add talent without a ton of cap space and then Wood and Incognito unexpectedly left.  That's is something extremely difficult to over come.  

I will say that so far the Star and Murphy signings seem like two mistakes.   Hey we're a team with a lot of holes and a ton of cap space coming.  Let's see what they do with a high pick and the money.  I'd be much more concerned if this was nearing the end of their decisions to build the team - the facts are that's it's just the beginning.  

I don't agree with everything you said, but you catch the general drift of my perspective.

13 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Another thing that bothered me is he said the roster is much better now than when he inherited it.

I think that's clearly false.

Talent-wise this is true. I suspect he is talking about team-players, which he really has no business being excited about, as they are not any good. 

1 hour ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Well actually having the plan executed would be a Start. Judging results before it’s fully implemented is quite foolish I would say.,,

18 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

It is only Year 2 of McDermott and I want to punch myself in the face every time he says this -- multiple times when discussing every game. It's his universal way of saying that a player sucked -- without actually saying it.

Other complaints about McD press conferences:

Why doesn't the Buffalo media collectively grow a pair and ask him some tough, direct questions? Frustrate him. Make him uncomfortable. I think they're too worried about their ongoing relationship with him, so they don't ask questions like:

* Coach, why are receivers consistently wide open in the middle of the field? What are you going to do to fix it?

* Why didn't you put Josh Allen in for a Hail Mary from the 45 on the last play of the half? Why?

* Why did you run a draw play on the final play of the game instead of letting Josh Allen throw the ball to the end zone?

* Explain why you punted after the game was already lost and you were in four-down territory.

* Explain how Kyle Williams helps your defense ON THE FIELD.

* Nathan Peterman is the only quarterback in NFL history to throw five interceptions in a half. Also, the Ravens for the first time in franchise history held their opponent (you) to zero first downs in the first half. Don't you think that tells you something about Peterman?

The media dances around every question and has this disgusting air of unearned respect/borderline sympathy. Ask the fu*king questions the fans want the answers to.

You mean like Jerry Sullivan did?

The Kool Aid Krowd around here doesn't like that sort of thing.

They prefer softballs.

A lot here even actually like the John Murphy show, which is the football equivalent of state-run radio in the old USSR, or die Deutsche Wochenschau in Nazi Germany!

1. The cat who said Darby is a good player in other schemes should know better. You fit the schemes to the players 

or talent you have. Did Baltimore have run plays for Flacco with the snap?

2. Stop talking about last year's playoffs. We may even won the game if the reject that we got from Carolina didn't

push off in the end zone costing us a almost sure TD on the next 3 plays. We were LUCKY to get in with the

Dalton pass, with the big negative point differential, and the goal is the SB, not a wildcard playoff team.

3, Beane and McDermott are tied at the hip. I doubt one does nothing without the other knowing.

4. Press conferences are a required component of the job. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen,

and go work at Wall Mart where you will not have to give press conferences.

5. The NFL is not a finishing school for elitists to learn manners. It is a brutal professional business and only

the tough survive. Character and $3.00 will get you a cup at Starbucks. It will not get you a winning football team. 

Some people can be so negative. Do I "trust the Process"? Let's just say I have a lot of doubts. McD and Beane are rookies, so I expect some bad decisions... and there sure have been some! And I don't get all the blowouts when the HC is conservative and a defensive minded guy. But damn, you guys that also disregard making the playoffs are purely negative for the sake of it. Sure it was with some luck and a 9-7 record, but they did it! If the roster is soooooooo bad then it's even more worthy of praise for the coaches.

That was 2017. It's a new year and they'll be judged on this year, like they should. The fact they were destroyed 3 games in a row last year but came back gives some hope for sure. And I trust Allen can be "THE GUY". More hope than profound conviction but the "eye test", his "it" factors, yeah I'm excited still. Daboll better get creative and use the TE and RBs more as OL and WRs are not a strong point! The Ravens were up early yet the Bills run D held, which is surprising and maybe a good sign, though with 47 points they sure found a way around that...

As for the negativity, just look at the posters gloating and salivating at the thought of telling us "I told you so" if Allen doesn't pan out! Will he be the star? Who knows, but recall some "experts" even saw him as the first overall pick, and most among the top 4 QBs of the draft. So, indeed, why are you here if you hate the team and want it to fail? Shouldn't you hope for Allen to be good at the very least?