"A couple of plays/throws he'd like to have back" and other press conference complaints

The Bills Blog

It is only Year 2 of McDermott and I want to punch myself in the face every time he says this -- multiple times when discussing every game. It's his universal way of saying that a player sucked -- without actually saying it.

Other complaints about McD press conferences:

Why doesn't the Buffalo media collectively grow a pair and ask him some tough, direct questions? Frustrate him. Make him uncomfortable. I think they're too worried about their ongoing relationship with him, so they don't ask questions like:

* Coach, why are receivers consistently wide open in the middle of the field? What are you going to do to fix it?

* Why didn't you put Josh Allen in for a Hail Mary from the 45 on the last play of the half? Why?

* Why did you run a draw play on the final play of the game instead of letting Josh Allen throw the ball to the end zone?

* Explain why you punted after the game was already lost and you were in four-down territory.

* Explain how Kyle Williams helps your defense ON THE FIELD.

* Nathan Peterman is the only quarterback in NFL history to throw five interceptions in a half. Also, the Ravens for the first time in franchise history held their opponent (you) to zero first downs in the first half. Don't you think that tells you something about Peterman?

The media dances around every question and has this disgusting air of unearned respect/borderline sympathy. Ask the fu*king questions the fans want the answers to.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

It is only Year 2 of McDermott and I want to punch myself in the face every time he says this -- multiple times when discussing every game. It's his universal way of saying that a player sucked -- without actually saying it.

Other complaints about McD press conferences:

Why doesn't the Buffalo media collectively grow a pair and ask him some tough, direct questions? Frustrate him. Make him uncomfortable. I think they're too worried about their ongoing relationship with him, so they don't ask questions like:

* Coach, why are receivers consistently wide open in the middle of the field? What are you going to do to fix it?

* Why didn't you put Josh Allen in for a Hail Mary from the 45 on the last play of the half? Why?

* Why did you run a draw play on the final play of the game instead of letting Josh Allen throw the ball to the end zone?

* Explain why you punted after the game was already lost and you were in four-down territory.

* Explain how Kyle Williams helps your defense ON THE FIELD.

* Nathan Peterman is the only quarterback in NFL history to throw five interceptions in a half. Also, the Ravens for the first time in franchise history held their opponent (you) to zero first downs in the first half. Don't you think that tells you something about Peterman?

The media dances around every question and has this disgusting air of unearned respect/borderline sympathy. Ask the fu*king questions the fans want the answers to.

I know what you mean.  But I listened to the press conference and honestly I thought the reporters did the best job they could.  McDermott was just going to give them nothing.  It’s not as though they were lofting up Chris brown-esquire softball questions.  They actually asked variations of many of the questions above.  McDermott was just super vague and general.  This his style and actually the same style as many coaches in the NFL.  

I can agree its frustrating when you want answers and all he says is “we’ll have to look at the tape” 

• Like (+1) 2

It's not prudent for the head coach to act as frustrated as fans or as he may feel.  

He's earned the benefit of the doubt from me for last years performance.  When we traded Sammy, Dareus and Darby - I thought we would be among the worst teams in the league.  On paper, I think we were but he did one heck of a job.  We were a team that needed to add talent without a ton of cap space and then Wood and Incognito unexpectedly left.  That's is something extremely difficult to over come.  

I will say that so far the Star and Murphy signings seem like two mistakes.   Hey we're a team with a lot of holes and a ton of cap space coming.  Let's see what they do with a high pick and the money.  I'd be much more concerned if this was nearing the end of their decisions to build the team - the facts are that's it's just the beginning.  

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Buffalo media questioning is frustrating as all hell.

The questions blow and are soft as !@#$.

Im sure I’ll get fleck for this comment, but there were two reporters in town that were notorious for asking for asking tough questions.  The majority of members here blasted them for being “too negative.”  Who’s the negative ones now!?!??!?!?!

3 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Another thing that bothered me is he said the roster is much better now than when he inherited it.

I think that's clearly false.

That’s arbitrary.  Bottom line, the team made the playoffs last season.  You can make the argument that they were better

10 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Do you disagree, ol' friend?

I disagree that anyone can know that McDermott is doing a bad job. 

EVERYONE agrees that the Bills have limited talent.   They did last season, too.  McDermott went 9-7 with that talent last season.   He didn't become an idiot in the past eight months.  

People have been complaining about how bad the talent is for months around here.  Then this supposedly undertalented team gets blown out and suddenly it's the coach's fault.  

This team fell apart mid=season last year, and McDermott pulled them together.  It was a magnificent job.   The Bills lose one this season and you guys think he's a failure.   It's a long season.   

The fact that people are disappointed with the team doesn't mean we should throw all rationality out the window.  

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

EVERYONE agrees that the Bills have limited talent.   They did last season, too.  McDermott went 9-7 with that talent last season.   He didn't become an idiot in the past eight months.  

People have been complaining about how bad the talent is for months around here.  Then this supposedly undertalented team gets blown out and suddenly it's the coach's fault.  

This team fell apart mid=season last year, and McDermott pulled them together.  It was a magnificent job.   The Bills lose one this season and you guys think he's a failure.   It's a long season.   

The fact that people are disappointed with the team doesn't mean we should throw all rationality out the window.  

This

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I am with you Shaw even though I have heat with you from the old BBMB days.  

The overreactions are just off the charts.  It’s unbelievable.  Thank you for being rational

I had McDermott’s back all last season and through camp but he’s starting to lose me.  Just too much canned coach speak. He doesn’t have to throw his guys under the bus but be a little honest.

And start having this team more prepared to play.  Whats this, 3 or 4 blow outs in his short tenure? I don’t even think we had many bad blowouts in the Rex era.  Thank you again Andy Dalton for ending the draught, because if not for him this thing might extend another decade.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Last years schedule set up perfectly.   People underestimate that aspect of things.  A huge part of the Patriots dominance is the 5 wins minimum the afce opponents give them each year.     Bills did not have many quality wins last year.  We struggled a lot against good teams. 

8 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I had McDermott’s back all last season and through camp but he’s starting to lose me.  Just too much canned coach speak. He doesn’t have to throw his guys under the bus but be a little honest.

And start having this team more prepared to play.  Whats this, 3 or 4 blow outs in his short tenure? I don’t even think we had many bad blowouts in the Rex era.  Thank you again Andy Dalton for ending the draught, because if not for him this thing might extend another decade.

"I had his back all season but now he's starting to lose me..... after Week 1 of the NFL season" #rational

• Haha (+1) 2