How long will it take?

DKBills25

12 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I for one question if it is possible. When they came in and started trading the best talent, I thought they were betting on themselves in an arrogant way. That they would have one if the great draft runs in history for a couple years. They dug themselves too big a hole to get out of without getting fired first. 

I think they get st least 4 years. You don’t make the moves they did without some expectation of security.  They won’t be fired because the team regressed this year, clearly regression was expected. They’ll be fired if their efforts to rebuild don’t pay dividends. 

13 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Right. They did keep some of their talent around while adding some good players. I don’t think they got rid of everyone that was decent. 

They were 5-11 twice. The first 5-11 was an over achievement.

Just now, Batman1876 said:

I think they get st least 4 years. You don’t make the moves they did without some expectation of security.  They won’t be fired because the team regressed this year, clearly regression was expected. They’ll be fired if their efforts to rebuild don’t pay dividends. 

You might be right, but I don’t think I’d bet on them succeeding. You can’t gut a roster and play with a team of backup players because you’re smarter than everyone else. It just doesn’t work that way. 

• Like (+1) 3

It's going to be a while and my biggest concern is WR.  We need two and both need to be legit and they're not going to come from free agency.  It's going to take significant draft capital to get there and there's so many other positions that need to come from the draft as well.  

It's so hard when you do not have one WR to add to.  

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

You might be right, but I don’t think I’d bet on them succeeding. You can’t gut a roster and play with a team of backup players because you’re smarter than everyone else. It just doesn’t work that way. 

Tre,  Dawkins and Milano look good from 2017 that’s not bad. This year’s draft is too early to tell but early returns are promising. I’ll be interested to see what they can do in FA when they can afford higher tier guys.  Our mid to low tier guys are a mixed bag.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

You're probably right about the time frame.  McD and Beane are on year 2 of five year contracts, I believe.  By year 4 there should be significant improvement, and if not, year 5 we probably won't be hearing anything about "the process."  It will be win now.

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I think you do play with a team of sub par talent if this is a throw away/building year, which by McD's comments that it is only year 2, is the case.  I'd believe that they really are going to build the team through the draft, which Beane has set up to do.  Hopefully his FA acquisitions going forward will be better than what he has brought in so far, which so far could be a function of having little cap space to work with, even though largely self-inflicted.  Still, this should be around a .500 team and I think week 1 is an anomaly, but just a hunch.

28 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

It will take several years.  Don’t see this regime making it through.  The Jets seem way ahed of us and they have a 100 mil in cap space next year.  

If Beane is worth a damn he should get the O line built in one offseason, plus better WRs. McD did find a new decent LT in his first draft. The thing is if you want superior talent on that line you need to spend first, second and third rounders on them.   

One WR that is 6'5' and can run a 4.5 40 should open up the passing game.   

Just gotta keep McD from drafting all defense 

5 minutes ago, Chemical said:

What does it matter when their rebuild started if they have more cap space and a more desirable situation and city for free agents next season. Cap space is only useful if you have the right players to sign. We will end up with spending big money on a tier two or three free agent.

Oh the 2017 draft where Beane was in Carolina?

McD was behind that draft, or do you think they let the guy they fired the next day make those picks. The Jetsarein a better place now, after two bad 5-11 seasons. 

9 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

If Beane is worth a damn he should get the O line built in one offseason, plus better WRs. McD did find a new decent LT in his first draft. The thing is if you want superior talent on that line you need to spend first, second and third rounders on them.   

One WR that is 6'5' and can run a 4.5 40 should open up the passing game.   

Just gotta keep McD from drafting all defense 

1st two picks in 2019 will be DE and CB. ;)

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

I agree whole-heartedly, except that it's not insecurity overcoming judgement.   McDermott and Beane are simply incompetent at running a football team.  If McDermott stuck to coaching the team, he'd be okay, but both he and Beane are clueless when it comes to talent evaluation and cap management, so allowing them control over personnel and cap management is a prescription for epic fail.

they make bad trades, but they have drafted well.  

55 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I hope Teller fills a hole too but boy did he look lost in pre-season.

PFF gave him one of the highest grades for rookie tackles/guards.  

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

The Bills need new starters at:

• two new wide receivers
  • a new LG, C, RG and RT
  • a new tight end
  • a new defensive end
  • a new defensive tackle
  • a new SLB
  • a new CB and Nickel CB

This roster is a disaster. 

Yes, Allen will start. They can't play Peterman again. 

I agree the roster is a disaster.  Money means something.  When you pay less in current player salaries than any other team in NFL, you ought to expect the worst roster.

I wonder why some are calling for a new HC when (1) McD ended the drought, and (2) he's being handicapped with a crap roster this season.  

8 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree the roster is a disaster.  Money means something.  When you pay less in current player salaries than any other team in NFL, you ought to expect the worst roster.

I wonder why some are calling for a new HC when (1) McD ended the drought, and (2) he's being handicapped with a crap roster this season.  

Handicapped?

I’m starting to really question various moves.  We had to endure some terrible seasons to earn the right to draft guys like Dareus and Watkins, and we traded them for what seems like pretty marginal return.

Now, we have guys who are clearly less talented.  I guess we’ll see more benefit from the salary dump next year, but it’s still tough to rationalize.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Yes, Allen will start. They can't play Peterman again. 

Just watch. I have a sinking feeling that’s exactly what will happen.

Peterman, to this coaching staff, is the girlfriend that everyone knows is bad for you, but you just tell people “you just don’t know her like I do.”  

• Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

they make bad trades, but they have drafted well.  

PFF gave him one of the highest grades for rookie tackles/guards.  

No, they do not draft well.  They gamble on high risk prospects and often trade up to get them which is a waste draft capital.

PFF's algorithm for rating OLs and OLers is unreliable at best.  If Teller was that good, he wouldn't have been around at the end of the fifth round where they took him which is Day Three of the draft.  If he was that good, he'd have been a Day Two pick.

• Like (+1) 1