McBeane gave Peterman his shot....

realtruelove

Based on ESPN's QBR hes the worst QB ever. His 2 non injury starts rank as a .7 and .9.  Those are both bottom 10 performances all time. Lets put that into perspective QBR covers 13 years so 13 years by 16 games by 32 teams equals 6656 QB performances, and thats not even accounting for games when 2 or more QBs played due to injury or blow out. So of 6656 QB performances 2 of the bottom 10 are Peterman. You can say without a doubt that he is the worst ever by that metric. 

On 9/10/2018 at 8:16 PM, gr8billsfan said:

im surprised anyone on the starting OL earned their job. Aside from Groy and Dawkins, everyone else must go. ESPECIALLY DucASSe

You want Groy to stay? He's been a turnstile every time he's been on the field thru preseason and the Baltimore game. He was possibly the worst one in Baltimore.

Just now, Warcodered said:

They'll likely hang on to him until they grab a replacement and bring them up to speed.

That should have been done already. Moore should have been brought in the day after and started studying the playbook. You are still talking 2-3 weeks before he is even 50% up to speed. 

20 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Quarterbacks don't improve at quarterbacking from "learning on the sidelines behind a veteran QB."

That's just crap fans talk about.

They learn by doing.

As an side, I agree Peterman should be let go.  This organization should be done with him permanently at this point.

And don't hold your breath waiting for someone to pick him up off waivers.  No one will.

The thing is, if they just cut him, it would make the coach look bad to the players, and incompetent. The team has been watching McD buddy around with NP, talk him up, give him respect, present him as a leader, etc...to just cut him would undermine McD's authority with the players, as well as point out the staff's glaring misjudgement. They can't just suddenly act like he has no business being on an NFL roster.

They will sign a journeyman, and talk about it not being a reflection of Petermans play, but that they are always looking for ways to improve this football team, and this opportunity to sign (fill in the blank) was just to good to pass up.

Edited by OJ Tom

Lol, I find it absolutely AMUSING that a kid who was a rookie last year, has played one game this year, and has started a total of 3 GAMES is said to have "had his shot," doesn't belong in the NFL, and needs to be cut. 

Some of you people are delusional. 

I'll be sure to post on here after Allen fails, eats multiple sacks, throws multiple picks, and loses the next couple games. 

He has 3 starts and a total of 10 quarters in the NFL to prove he belongs here. 

1 minute ago, TwistofFate said:

Lol, I find it absolutely AMUSING that a kid who was a rookie last year, has played one game this year, and has started a total of 3 GAMES is said to have "had his shot," doesn't belong in the NFL, and needs to be cut. 

I'll be sure to post on here after Allen fails, eats multiple sacks, throws multiple picks, and loses the next couple games. 

LOL...

In 3 games, he's thrown for 409 passing yards.  276 were to Bills Receivers, 133 were to the opposing defense.  

Hasn't been able to complete a game due to being epically bad in a half....not a whole game....a half.  There's a difference between a rookie struggling and someone is just down right awful.

Against the Chargers and Ravens starts, he did not throw for a first down.  Not one.  How can you go 4 quarters of football and not throw for one first down?  This probably has never, ever been done before.

Nate Peterman isn't a rookie.  He was historically bad as a rookie last year.  Another year, another training camp, another mini camp, more film.....he follows that up with possibly an even worse performance.  

31 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

As long as he doesn't rank 241 out of 241 on QBs over the past 20 years I'll be willing to keep watching Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Peterman wasn't thrown a bone by having his two starts being on the road, I'll give you that.  Even Big Ben is talked about as having poor home/road game splits.   Things are just harder on the road.

Home: 18 for 35, 186 yds, 2 TD's, zero Int's

Road:   12 for 35, 104 yds, 0 TD's, 8 Int's

Unfortunately for him,  his BAD has been really really bad.  Unless things fall to pieces for Allen this weekend (or he gets hurt)... I don't see Peterman getting on the field again. 

I like Nate.   Maybe, for his sake, everything will line up for him get a home start, on a reasonably nice day vs. a middling team like Tenn, Mia or Detroit.   I'm certainly not rooting for it because that would mean something happened to Allen to prevent him from playing.  But ya never know.  I kinda' think Peterman will be fortunate to stick around after this weekend.  I'm sure the Bills are looking around at other backup QB's...someone that has actually started and finished an NFL game in their career without embarrassing himself.   

2 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

Maybe the optics wouldn't be good if the Bills started Peterman in Week 1 and released him in Week 2. But couldn't he clear waivers and be placed on the practice squad? It would seem like Allen would benefit much more from a Chad Henne, Matt Moore, Derek Anderson, etc. veteran backup, much like the Darnold-McCown situation.

Why would  we want him on the Practice Squad?

He just did.

Now Nathan Peterman didn't light things up obviously and the replacing of Peterman with Josh Allen before game's end was understandable.

5 of 18 passing, 24 yards, having thrown his second interception early in the third quarter, fresh out of halftime and you want to see what your rookie first-round QB looks like in real game day action.

Fine.

But how do you not give Peterman, your most consistent QB all through training camp and preseason at least one more opportunity the following week, to fall in with the demands of regular season football, along with the rest of his teammates and coaching staff?

Truth be told, the entire offense seemed to not show up and Brian Daboll was absolutely uncreative as a playcaller...whether intentionally or unintentionally.

In fact, it felt like the entire team at times and coaches entered week one in a preseason state of mind. 

The Baltimore Ravens seemed to understand that the lights of regular season football were now on, while on offense, the Bills' coaching staff appeared to still be auditioning players in Week 5 of preseason, trying to find out who they could trust on the football field.

How else does one explain Daboll marching Peterman out there to pass, pass, and pass some more (as was the case in Week One preseason versus the Carolina Panthers when attempting to grasp Peterman's real standing in the QB competition) and underutilizing LeSean McCoy at a time in the game when the Bills were trailing just 7-0 after the Ravens second drive stalled?

Nearly each Bills' offensive series had the feel of a team trying to overcome a three score deficit with four minutes remaining in the entire game.

If anything should have been realized this whole off-season, it is that Nathan Peterman is very much a rhythm passer.

Where was the rhythm?

True enough the O-line did its part to disrupt any steam being picked up time and time again in the first half, but where was Brian Daboll to help combat what was taking place and establish that rhythm as offensive coordinator?

I counted four negative plays on Peterman's 18 dropbacks: sack (1st series where he didn't pull the trigger and hit the open receiver), inaccurate throw on 2nd series, overthrow to Benjamin that led to 1st interception, and a lack of pocket poise on a broken play.

Peterman tried to push the ball downfield to make something happen at times, in spite of the receivers gaining little separation a lot of times during their one-on-one battles.

This added to the incompletions, as did drops, passes batted down, and a throw away.

A screen game could have possibly alleviated some of the offensive woes.

No McCoy screen game to speak of...Rick Dennison would have been better suited calling Sunday's game.

Being faced with second-and-long and third-and-long (7 of 10 offensive series), precipitated at times by drive-killing holding penalties, and an offensive line that still needs to be fortified in at least two positions will make things difficult for most QB's and more so for a talented, yet physically limited QB who relies on rhythm to get going.

The offense was dead and Peterman again failed to play well enough before a national audience, who remember him for his debacle against the San Diego Chargers a season ago, still the move to replace him feels like one that didn't have to be made...not this soon. 

How about drumming up an NFL-level game plan to go along with NFL-level playcalling, with Peterman under center, Week 2 at home, versus the San Diego Chargers for a potentially different and positive outcome?

You couldn't have convinced me a month ago that part of "The Process", would have included benching your opening day starter after one week of play, in favor of your rookie QB who you shielded for a good portion of the off-season from the complexities of the NFL.

What's done is done, and it feels like there can be no turning back after making the switch from Peterman, so though I question the timing of the move, I'll be right there rooting for Allen to get the offense going against the Chargers. 

Go Bills!

And yes...I still believe Peterman can lead an offense with the right supporting cast. ?

IMO, Peterman should never start another NFL game again.  He is not a "gamer".  He folds under pressure.  The game appears too fast for him.  He would be a good CFL QB perhaps, but not in the NFL.  I don't believe it was a raw deal, it was just he isn't good unless it is a blizzard or preseason.