Kyle Williams and Sean McDermott Monday WGR Segments

26CornerBlitz

Williams: "We went in [to Sunday] knowing we had to be our best"

Buffalo Bills' defensive tackle Kyle Williams joined Schopp & the Bulldog Wednesday afternoon for his first visit following a Bills victory (!!) this fall.  What a Sunday it was; Buffalo turned major tides and effectively flipped the state of Minnesota on its side with their 27-6 underdog victory.  Williams touches on that, among much more in his conversation with the guys.

Here is some of the best from his time on WGR 550.

9-24: Kyle Williams on WGR (15:25)

Williams - We've got a strong group of guys in the locker room. Things we think will correct themselves will.

Williams - When we looked at film, we saw if we could win on early downs, get them 3rd & 5 or more, there were things we could take advantage of.

Williams - When you get your 1 on 1 matchups, that's when you have to deliver. Some games, a guy like me or Jerry you may only get 5,10, or 2. We don't decide who gets the sacks.

Williams on his favorite sack - Any on Brady. I had a bet years ago with Jairus Byrd that if I got to ten I would do the Ric Flair dance.

Williams - The main thing is you're going to play a team that was looked at as a Super Bowl contending team. A top defense, high end QB, knowing we had to go out to be our best.

Williams on the Allen hurdle - I saw it from the sidelines. You're watching going "Oh my god!", then he gets to the sidelines and you have to tell him never do that again.

Williams on the Allen hurdle - That kind of effort resonates with everyone. You look at Taiwan Jones, Lorenzo, Milano, guys see that type of effort and feed off it.

Williams on if anyone has ever hurdled him - Not that I know of even though I'm a lot easier to jump over than Anthony Barr. I'm a bit shorter.

Williams on Lambeau - It's special. It's a fun experience. We've got a big week in front of us, that guy (Rodgers) is one of the best to ever do it.

Williams - On Monday's you appreciate a grass field a little more. At the same time on Sunday you really don't pay attention to the difference.

Williams - I'm going to watch my man Fitz tonight, hope he wins, and see what he wears in postgame.

Williams - I think (Fitz) may come out in just a bow tie if they win tonight.

McDermott: "Our play yesterday was very aggressive and controlled"

Buffalo Bills [Victory] Football Monday continued right along here on WGR 550 with head coach Sean McDermott joining Schopp & the Bulldog for their scheduled discussion about the state of the Bills and beyond.  Impressive team and individual showings headlined Buffalo's historic victory over the NFC-darling Minnesota Vikings, including Josh Allen's breakout performance in the first road start of his NFL career.

Here is the best of McDermott's visit with the guys.

9-24: Sean McDermott on WGR (13:48)

McDermott - There's some motivation baked in when it's relevant, but for right now it's just about developing.

McDermott - Thought we had a good week of practice. I was happy mostly for the coaches and players.

McDermott - The Josh hurdle will stay with me for a while. Just happy he stayed healthy through that. It stood out how fired up he was after the play. It showed he meant business and we meant business.

McDermott on Allen being fired up - The biggest thing it it's genuine. I want all our players to go out and be themselves. We give them a lot of space to show their true personalities. It's about having fun and it should be fun.

McDermott on the Tre White penalty - I was pretty fired up, that's my personality, whether I show that a lot or not. We're looking for consistency so the players know how that'll be officiated. We're waiting for an explanation as we speak.

McDermott - I want an aggressive football team. Sometimes that'll happen. You don't ever want to see someone get hurt because of poor technique, but I thought it was an aggressive play.

McDermott - We want our corners to be able to hit, and tackle properly. I though Tre did that.

McDermott - Leslie coached out there for a few years. There's an emotional side of that, extremely happy for Leslie and his family.

McDermott on Allen - He did a good job. I thought he generated offense. Play fakes, throwing the ball down field, moving the pocket, moving his feet. He did some good things, certainly a lot yet to learn.

McDermott - We moved Jerry around, it was fun to watch. He played great. That spreads around the defense, it's infectious.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Williams: "We're all putting a lot on the line for a [potential] win"

USATSI_11352047.jpg?itok=czaBX2uu&c=df7d

No matter if Sunday produces a win or a loss, Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Kyle Williams joins Schopp & the Bulldog either way.  The Green Bay Packers brought the Bills back to Earth after Buffalo's beatdown of the Minnesota Vikings two weeks ago, and Williams discussed the game from Lambeau Field among much more.

10-1: Kyle Williams on WGR (14:24)

Williams on aiming for 17 points let up - Defensive coaches come up with a baseline goal. It probably comes from studies on what gives you a chance to win.

Williams on his fumble recovery - There was another guy trying to grab it. Might have been our guy, but you never know.

Williams on fumble piles - Pile etiquette is just trying to get the ball. There's some not so nice stories. They can be limited only by your imagination.

Williams - We're all putting a lot on the line for a W. You're all putting it on the line for that ball, you don't know what might come out of you.

Williams - The tough thing for the position I play, there are plays that even if you play your block right, you're very rarely a factor on outside runs.

Williams on Micah Hyde - Hopefully we get him back as soon as we can. What he does in terms of communication & making plays in really invaluable.

Williams - Taron (Johnson) & Siran (Neal) coming in and making plays is good for their development. Especially with Hyde out.

Williams - In the long run we don't talk about the loss ruining anything. It's a clear sign of execution and preparation. We don't have the luxury of riding the roller coaster of whether we're good or not.

Williams - I've been out to hot starts and bad finishes and bad starts and good finishes. At least we get to come home this week, we're excited for that.

Williams on Allen - There's a difference between feeling good about yourself and knowing how you have to prepare. Never getting too high or too low. Sometimes you have to weather success, how will we handle this? Have to make sure he's understanding the right things.

Williams on the #Sabres - I may or not take my son. Always follow those guys and I'm pulling for them.

McDermott: "I thought we got away from our game"

USATSI_11306262_168382964_lowres.jpg?ito

Head coach Sean McDermott graced the airwaves of WGR Sports Radio 550 for the fourth Monday in a row as the Buffalo Bills' season rolls on.  Despite the 22-0 shutout loss to the Green Bay Packers, McDermott and the team feel that hope is not yet lost.  Here is the best of the second-year head coach's time with Schopp & the Bulldog.

10-1: Sean McDermott on WGR (15:53)

McDermott - When you play good team offense you can establish the line of scrimmage, play action, throw the football, a lot of hands needed to establish that.

McDermott - There were times yesterday it was up to our standard, and times we weren't. I thought we got away from our game.

McDermott on McCoy's touches - It's low. LeSean is one of our better players. He's a guy we have to get the ball early in the game and often. With good running backs, the more touches they get the better they are.

McDermott - When you go into a game the best thing to do is have a bullet pointed check list. Wanting to do things early, have something done by halftime.

McDermott on getting McCoy the ball - Plain and simply put we didn't do a good enough job of it.

McDermott on whether McCoy is frustrated - I wouldn't doubt it. He's a prideful guy. He's a guy that wants touches and we have to get him them.

McDermott on Micah Hyde - He didn't get a chance to contribute back in Green Bay where he started his career. I thought the guys that stepped in did a good job, Siran Neal and Rafael Bush.

McDermott - We coach our WR's to make sure they're going forward when they go out of bounds to stop the clock. We coach our defense to try and make the guy with the ball go backwards out of bounds.

McDermott - We have to shape every game plan in a way we can protect our QB. This is a situation where Josh will continue to learn. You either win or you learn and he has a lot to learn from yesterday's game.

McDermott on Allen - I got to him a couple times yesterday telling him what I thought he needed to do. In particular the play right before half. He needs to learn from that. We have one of the best kickers in the NFL, could've had three there.

McDermott - This is one of the greatest sports in the world because it's exciting and points are being scored. Defensively, I'm not a big fan of it, but you're seeing scores at the college level even in the high 30s consistently.

McDermott on college schemes coming into the NFL - 25-30% of the game is what you see at the college level. It's certainly changing.

McDermott - At the end of the day you have to be able to score points. Defensively the goal used to be keep the other team under 14 points. Now it's 17. That meter is going up.

• Like (+1) 2

I respect KW but at this point is he really anything more than McDermott’s asst coach?  KW has been pretty much invisible this season with the exception of a few plays.

McDermott’s coach speak is starting to get really annoying when the results are becoming all too familiar!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Kyle Williams - The new rules go toward offensive production

USATSI_11396871.jpg?itok=PpDcnzi0&c=65ee

After a 13-12 victory over the Titans on Sunday, Bills defensive tackle Kyle Williams joined Schopp and Bulldog for his weekly appearance on Tuesday to talk more on the defense's success, the QB hitting rules, the addition of quarterback Derek Anderson and more! Here are some quotes from his Tuesday appearance:

10-9: Kyle Williams with Schopp & the Bulldog (14:31)

10-15: Kyle Williams on WGR (13:56)

Williams: "You have peaks and valleys anywhere in life. Peterman has definitely had some of those so far in the NFL."

Williams: "I think we've got some really sound-minded guys in this room. You're either going to let it define you and learn from it, or go in the tank."

Williams: "I think [the defense] really put the team in a position to win. Unfortunately, we as a whole were not able to put that nail in the coffin."

Williams: "It was a good day, not a great day. A great day would have been closing out that win."

Williams on parity: "That's the ultimate challenge as a football team. You look at the last two weeks, there were like 7 or 8 teams that lost this week, who were coming off a win two weeks ago."

Williams: "The main statistic I pay attention to is wins."

Williams: "At this point in my career, the only thing I'm chasing is wins."

Williams: "I don't sit at home after games thinking about the great plays I made, I sit there thinking about the plays I missed."

10-15: Sean McDermott on WGR (7:52)

McDermott: "When you look at it, you always look back and evaluate yourself, and things we could have done differently. We didn't get the result we wanted yesterday."

McDermott on Allen's injury: "It's a numbers deal. You only get so many guys that you can suit up on an active roster for any given Sunday."

McDermott on Derek Anderson: "That represents a challenge since he's only been here a week, but we'll do what we can this week. Is he ready to play in a game physically, and does he know the offense well enough to get through a game?"

McDermott: "It's a challenge. You can't always get the roster that you want on a given week because of the numbers game with the roster."

McDermott on Peterman: "You feel for him in some regard. He drove us to a lead, and had things ended differently this would be a different story. He has to learn from it."

McDermott: "At the end of the day you want to make sure that you're putting the players in a position to be successful."

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

10-15: Sean McDermott on WGR (7:52)

McDermott on Derek Anderson: "That represents a challenge since he's only been here a week, but we'll do what we can this week. Is he ready to play in a game physically, and does he know the offense well enough to get through a game?"

That is the key thing.  While Derek Anderson may have thought he would get calls during the year when an injury occurs he probably did not stay in game shape on his own. Obviously he passed a physical but did he pass a conditioning test like players do in camp?

10-22: Kyle Williams on WGR (15:01)

Williams - At the end of the day we have to be able to adjust on the fly. We didn't do a good enough job.

Williams - We're not where we wanted to be. We've been on the road a lot. A good portion of our remaining schedule is at home. The only way to get through it is to work your tail off.

Williams - Playing with high emotion. I like that word better than effort. Guys will always be running around doing things, but is that intensity.

Williams - Consistency is a by product of preparation and effort during the week. Never being comfortable where you're at. It's not just going to happen because we did it the week before.

Williams on Derek Anderson - It's not ideal, kinda an unfair deal for him. He comes in to help Josh learn. Josh gets hurt, he has to play a week later.

Williams - Ultimately we all have to be better. Derek did some good things, some things he'd like back.

Williams on playing Brady - He knows a lot of what you're doing. You have to be sound, takes a whole sixty minutes to beat those guys. Not too much chirping or too much talking.

10-22: Sean McDermott on WGR (11:36)

McDermott on Anderson - He was knocking off some rust, but he'll continue to get confident and comfortable.

McDermott on Anderson - He's a pro, he's been around it. He certainly understood that his teammate Nate Peterman wasn't going to be the starter.

McDermott on run/pass ratio - You do what you have to based on what you are offensively and who your opponent is. There's coaches that are trying to score 50 points out there, realistically that's not who we are right now.

McDermott - I'd love to score 50 points, that'd allow me to sleep a lot easier. Balance is key, but you want to be able to attack the weakness of the defense. Where we live in Buffalo, you want to be able to be physical and run the football.

McDermott on Tre White shadowing WRs - We did it with Josh Norman in Carolina. Josh embraced that every week, and that's how I think Tre'Davious has reacted to it.

McDermott on White not shadowing WRs in the slot - Overall we allow our nickel player, Taron Johnson, to stay on the inside. That game is different on the inside.

McDermott on Monday Night Football - Thankful to be home, be in front of our fans. Opportunity for us to grow and get better. Important for young players to stay poised.

On 9/10/2018 at 8:03 PM, BillsFan4 said:

Exactly. Some don’t seem to get this. 

McDermott gains nothing by pubically throwing his players under the bus.

But just because he doesn’t openly criticize his players to the media doesn’t mean he isn’t doing it behind closed doors. 

Well his "process" ain't workin either

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McDermott - I'd love to score 50 points, that'd allow me to sleep a lot easier. Balance is key, but you want to be able to attack the weakness of the defense. Where we live in Buffalo, you want to be able to be physical and run the football.

Does he believe it, or does he think fans want to hear this in Buffalo?   

It's Buffalo, not Patagonia.  Someone show him some film of the offense in the 90s.

Edited by stony
  • Like (+1) 1