Either McD can't evaluate QB talent or....

CoachT

Peterman did a nice job in training camp and preseason.  He won the QB competition straight up.  There would have been all kinds of questions had he started Josh Allen in the Baltimore game.  I think he was as disappointed as anyone in the way things turned out, and, I'm guessing, more than a little surprised.  It is true that had Josh Allen started the game and then had to be pulled, it would have created an extremely awkward set of circumstances, but I don't really think that was a significant motivation for him to do things the way he did.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

IMO starting Peterman is the right move... until they feel Allen is ready.     Maybe Allen has some fatal flaw that we don't know about that he's working to fix.... only McD knows the answer.

Wish I had such an imaginative mind. I just cannot get those visions of Peterman' s inept performances out of my mind. I see so many  "fatal flaws".

Edited by Radar

5 minutes ago, Radar said:

Wish I had such an imaginative mind. I just cannot get those visions of Peterman' s inept performances out of my mind.

The huge boner was trading away the only experienced QB on the roster in AJ... that said, an even bigger boner was not bringing in a seasoned veteran to tutor Allen (and Peterman).    You could also argue they should've kept TT around along with drafting Allen.    

But to trade TT, and then trade AJ leaving the reins to a 5th rnd second year pro and a rookie, without doing anything to beef up the OL, just reeks of incompetence.  

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I agree with OP.  I even want to n8 to start game 2.  Let JA come in with no pressure and leave with confidence like he did yesterday.  

As for why bench TT last year likely because they were moving on from him amd wanted to evaluate in house talent.  My question is why so little Peterman in the late games as that would have saved us time this summer; the answer is that everyone wanted 17 to jot he 18.

I agree with the OP. There is NO WAY they put Allen in the game early in the 3rd quarter if their confidence in Peterman was that high and theyre afraid of ruining Allen. I am 99.999999999999999% sure Allen will start from here on out. In some type of strange way, this was the best case scenario for the bills coaches. 

54 minutes ago, chris heff said:

McDermott is still thinking of starting Peterman. That tells you all you need.

I genuinely do not believe another team in the entire league would entertain adding Peterman to their roster in any capacity.

But McDermott is thinking he might start here in Week 2.

McD is such a typical football guy.

Peterman is "their guy" and they believe in him.  They are going to stick with him no matter how bad he is.  The guy literally can't get through a complete football game!  

And here he is being considered as next week's starter.

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I genuinely do not believe another team in the entire league would entertain adding Peterman to their roster in any capacity.

But McDermott is thinking he might start here in Week 2.

McD is such a typical football guy.

Peterman is "their guy" and they believe in him.  They are going to stick with him no matter how bad he is.  The guy literally can't get through a complete football game!  

And here he is being considered as next week's starter.

If he starts it’s only because they think it’s the best way to develop Allen. I don’t think it is a “Peterman is our guy”  thing. The most they think of Peterman is that he could some day be Allen’s backup. 

Edited by Batman1876

Soon as Allen struggles people will jump all over it. Peterman wasn't good but the entire team was bad and most people use Peterman as a scapegoat.

Allen isn't going to like starting 1st and 15 or 20 either because stupid penalties. Shady breaks a run finally oh wait some one holding made it happen so it doesn't count.

Edited by Lfod

You guys (mostly) wanted to end the streak and get your QB.  You did both.  So why all the emo carping about this season?  It is what is.  Call it tank, rebuild or process.  Deal with it like grown men.  Gosh.  One would think we wpuld collectively have thick ass skin by now.  

Those bitching - do you really want about 8-8 again this season?  3-13 and growing would be better than another feckless 8-8.  

Tank?  Nah.  It looks like will work itself out.  Go.with it.  Always forward and never straight; or something.

13 hours ago, pi2000 said:

The huge boner was trading away the only experienced QB on the roster in AJ... that said, an even bigger boner was not bringing in a seasoned veteran to tutor Allen (and Peterman).    You could also argue they should've kept TT around along with drafting Allen.    

But to trade TT, and then trade AJ leaving the reins to a 5th rnd second year pro and a rookie, without doing anything to beef up the OL, just reeks of incompetence.  

Can't argue with that.

I think they were caught flat footed by Richie and that was the fatal blow to the line.

If you have Richie in, you have an all pro quality LG, with eases Dawkins in at LT, the hope was it allows the "winner" between Groy and Bodine to be passable, same with Miller/Ducasse/Teller winner at RG and Mills/Newhouse winner at RT.

Ride Shady behind a just good enough oline, play a ball control offense with easy reads to ease the QB in.

Suddenly Richie remembers he's Richie (or doesn't have Wood in his ear anymore), that's the jenga block that sends the entire oline crashing and it was too late in the process to recover.

16 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

That is how you win unless you have a good QB. If Allen is good you'll stop hearing it.

The Minnesota Vikings would beg to differ.  Check out their record since 2000 ... and then see who was under center for them.  Except for bringing in Favre for a season or two at the end of his career, their QBs have mostly been mediocre.   Last year, they were a game short of going to the Super Bowl with backup Case Keenum as their QB.

We should signed a better bridge QB like Matt Moore or something. Peterman is horrific in every sense of the word. His teammates know it and so does the rest of the NFL.

49 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

McDumbass passed on Mahomes so I do not believe he can evaluate QBs. It’s my opinion that Mahomes was clearly a superior prospect compared to Allen. (Yes I know they came out a year apart)

They didn't even look at him which is infuriating. Only QB they liked was Trubisky who I like but it was easy to see Mahomes was special. Everything Allen does he does better.

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

McCoach will be the first to go unless he changes his ways. And it's ridiculous to write that given how long he's been an assistant, a coordinator, and now a HC in the NFL. If he doesn't reinvent himself he'll end up like Jauron, albeit with far less time in the league.  And that means getting away from being a defense first, conservative offense type who doesn't take risks and believes it's better to have choir boys who trust the process than talented types.

This franchise is a mile away from competing. Some is the result of a previous flawed GM who wrote checks that are now coming due. But both the GM and HC are not demonstrating anything other than how to tear down a roster and rebuild the long way.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

The Minnesota Vikings would beg to differ.  Check out their record since 2000 ... and then see who was under center for them.  Except for bringing in Favre for a season or two at the end of his career, their QBs have mostly been mediocre.   Last year, they were a game short of going to the Super Bowl with backup Case Keenum as their QB.

I was saying when you don’t have a good QB then defense and running the ball is how you win. Are you disagreeing with that?  Most of the Vickings success since 2000 came behind good defense and AP running the ball. 

Edited by Batman1876