THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Nightmare

Shaw66

Good review.  I think Edmunds did well  He got his hands on two passes and one could easily have been a pick 6.  He had 7 tackles.  I think its easier to find a downhill thumper than 3 down lber who can cover.  Allen will be fine especially if the Bills can get Shady going even a little early  Even with the Bills wr core they should have success against the Chargers with some play action.  Benjamin wants to get paid and not play for a vet minimum contract he better get it going.  Charles Clay was noticeably invisibly yet again

2 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Good review.  I think Edmunds did well  He got his hands on two passes and one could easily have been a pick 6.  He had 7 tackles.  I think its easier to find a downhill thumper than 3 down lber who can cover.  Allen will be fine especially if the Bills can get Shady going even a little early  Even with the Bills wr core they should have success against the Chargers with some play action.  Benjamin wants to get paid and not play for a vet minimum contract he better get it going.  Charles Clay was noticeably invisibly yet again

Good comments, especially about the downhill thumper.  

4 hours ago, Figster said:

No coach should want to ruin a players confidence or trade value IMO. The way this scenario might play out two players could become damaged goods before all is said and done in my humble opinion. The team itself is not ready for Allen, but Buffalo doesn't have another option.

If Beane pushed for the McCarron trade and the way he talked his pro's pro up it wouldn't surprise me,  I would be close to sending the beane head packing especially considering the neglected Oline when you knew a 1st round rookie was being drafted.

Gruden is laughing his ass off right about now.

Thanks OP for an enjoyable read as always, much appreciated.

I see the defensive draft as having been McDermott's doing

This will be a developmental year.

Josh Allen will develop mental issues from being hit so much.

Josh Allen will develop orthopedic skeletal injuries. Scientists will still be able to see them they look at his skeleton 200 years from now

Remember Jim Kelly in the Superbowl years? Remember how he couldn't run? He hobbled. That made him less effective and that might have made the difference in at least one Superbowl. If he had been able to be even a little bit mobile.

I am upset. 2018 was a draft with lots of good offensive linemen and we didn't get anyone til the 5th.

McDermott didn't have the discipline to skip his defensive sugar candy and eat the offensive linemen broccoli instead.

The Oline comes first because it carries over into everything about quarterback development in a way no other position does

They really screwed up.

And it is even worse of a screw up if this turns out to be nothing more than a developmental year.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

This will be a developmental year.

Josh Allen will develop mental issues from being hit so much.

Josh Allen will develop orthopedic skeletal injuries. Scientists will still be able to see them they look at his skeleton 200 years from now

Remember Jim Kelly in the Superbowl years? Remember how he couldn't run? He hobbled. That made him less effective and that might have made the difference in at least one Superbowl. If he had been able to be even a little bit mobile.

I am upset. 2018 was a draft with lots of good offensive linemen and we didn't get anyone til the 5th.

McDermott didn't have the discipline to skip his defensive sugar candy and eat the offensive linemen broccoli instead.

The Oline comes first because it carries over into everything about quarterback development in a way no other position does

They really screwed up.

And it is even worse of a screw up if this turns out to be nothing more than a developmental year.

I like that developmental issue theme.  Nice.

I don't buy the defensive candy take, but I have a different view that gets to the same end.   I think McDermott may regularly over value his offensive line solutions.   Many people have speculated that he appointed his friend as offensive line coach, and that his friendship may get in the way of his evaluation of what he has.    I wonder whether Castillo is telling McDermott that the line will be fien with Miller, Ducasse and Groy when a more objective evaluation would say they need a lot of help.    One way or another I think for two years McDermott has been operating under the notion that the offensive line personnel they have will be "good enough," and that evaluation has, for two seasons, looked to be wrong.  

43 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I wonder whether Castillo is telling McDermott that the line will be fien with Miller, Ducasse and Groy when a more objective evaluation would say they need a lot of help.    One way or another I think for two years McDermott has been operating under the notion that the offensive line personnel they have will be "good enough," and that evaluation has, for two seasons, looked to be wrong.  

If that is true, Castillo should go pack along with poor Nate Peterman, because it's good-bye time sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I like that developmental issue theme.  Nice.

I don't buy the defensive candy take, but I have a different view that gets to the same end.   I think McDermott may regularly over value his offensive line solutions.   Many people have speculated that he appointed his friend as offensive line coach, and that his friendship may get in the way of his evaluation of what he has.    I wonder whether Castillo is telling McDermott that the line will be fien with Miller, Ducasse and Groy when a more objective evaluation would say they need a lot of help.    One way or another I think for two years McDermott has been operating under the notion that the offensive line personnel they have will be "good enough," and that evaluation has, for two seasons, looked to be wrong.  

Maybe it is Castillo. It would be unusual though for a position coach to downplay his own needs. Could happen.

My trouble is that this issue is the one I hate the most. Teams are lucky to get a decent draft QB every 10 years.

In our case Josh Allen is the best prospect we have had since Jim Kelly was drafted 35 years ago.

35 years ago

And it cost us the #12 1st round pick and two seconds.

So lets skimp on the line. Because ooh look at the linebacker we can get. Oh yeah there's a defensive lineman! And ooh a cornerback!

It's ok to do things that look extremely stupid *if* it turns out not to have been stupid.

But if they do something that looks moronic going in, and it turns out to be moronic, there is no excuse.

If this line is as bad as they look, and Josh Allen doesn't turn out, we will never know if he could have been a winner.

I am hoping they don't keep looking like the worst line in football. Because if they do, I will have to stop watching so I don't develop a mental issue of my own!

• Like (+1) 1